Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Walking your kids to class

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:25 AM
  • 56 Replies

Is this something that is important to you? How upset would you get if your school changed its policy so that you couldn't do it anymore?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2013/08/19/school-security-changes-have-parents-dropping-kids-at-the-curb/

School Security Changes Have Parents Dropping Kids At The Curb

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – For some it’s the end of a tradition that has taken place for generations. Security enhancements at many North Texas schools this year may keep parents at the curb.

All of the extra security is in response to what happened nearly nine months ago at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. It was December of last year when a gunman opened fire at the school, killing 20 students and six adults.

In the Hurst-Euless-Bedford (HEB) Independent School District, the tradition of walking a young one to class won’t change…for the first week. What’s already being done in other districts is about to happen there.

Parents registered and enrolled their children today, one week before the school year begins for the HEB school system.

But there’s a new rule waiting for parents like Tamara Moore and Angela Shamblin.  It deals with access to their youngsters and both mothers have a certain view about the rule.

“I really want to take my son to class. Since it’s his first time in school,” Moore said protectively. “They may have security, but I want to know where my kid is going at all times.”

Shamblin had a different viewpoint as she dropped off her little one. “As long as I can see him walk in that building, that will be fine. Because once he’s in that building they’ll take care of him.”

For years, parents were given clearance to walk their children directly to their classroom, if they wished. But enhanced security measures on public school campuses include the elimination of parents walking their children to classrooms, after the first week of school.

The Richardson ISD, for example, hasn’t allowed parents to walk students to classrooms for years.

Officials in the HEB school district say they’re simply joining the ranks of many. “It’s very busy on a campus first thing in the morning, dropping off kids arriving for the day,” said district spokesperson Judy Everett Ramos. “So, being able to know who’s in the building, who’s in front, who’s deeper into the building, is very important in keeping our kids safe.”

The Grapevine-Colleyville School District, just like Dallas ISD, offers a campus-by-campus decision on the “walk to class” rule.

From this point forward parents of the young ones at HEB will have to adjust. “It don’t surprise me a bit,” one parent said. “All the security going around, all the things going on, it doesn’t surprise me at all.”

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:44 AM
My daughter takes the school bus, as do most most children in her school. When she arrives late, due to dr appts, I am only allowed to take her into the office to sign her in and provide a reason for the tardiness. Parents are not allowed to walk the children to thei classrooms. Smaller children are accompanied by an office worker.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be fine with it either way. I only walk my girls to class if they need help carrying something. We don't have buses at our school so I drop them off at the entrance. Or walk them. They don't need me to walk them to class on a normal basis, and I see no reason for it. 

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Aug. 20, 2013 at 5:56 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm with the lady who said she was fine as long as she can see her child gets into the building safely. I think many times the child is better off without a hovering parent anyway. Referring to the woman who thinks she's going to know where her child is "at all times".

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:03 AM
My kids school is open the day before classes start so we can go in, find their classrooms, meet the teachers, and drop off their school supplies. I work at another school so I can't walk them to school on the first day, but having that day before is enough for us.

Also all the high schools here have the first day of class set aside for just grade 9. They usually set up some sort of fun activity to familiarize the kids with the school and teachers, without the pressure of full hallways and bigger, older kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reindeer-c
by Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:07 AM
1 mom liked this

The 1st week you should be able to walk your kids to class. After the 3rd week I would feel comfortable dropping my 5 and 10 yr old off at school. In my situation the 10 yr old walks the 5 yr old to class. This makes me feel better knowing he is getting to class safe. I know most people do not have that option. There is such a fine line between letting a parent comfort their child and preventing a dangerous situation where children's safety needs to come first.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:34 AM
Well, my 15 year old takes 2 buses to school every morning... Public transportation. My younger walks with friends the 3 blocks to school or I drop them off in my way to work.

When they were younger I walked them to school. The policy is you either drive and drop them off in the parking lot or walk them and drop them off my one of three doors that have teachers waiting for them.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 6:41 AM
2 moms liked this
We've always waled the kids to class (except DS who is in middle school) and loved it. Last year after Newtown, they instituted new policies so I don't know if we can do it this year but we'll try. If they say no, I won't be happy but I won't make a stink either. Rules are there for a reason and there's nothing extra special about me or DD to warrant that they bend the rules for us. We can find a new tradition to start.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:08 AM

Weird.

In the first year of school...parents at our school, have to take their kids to the schoolroom and sign them in and out. (unless they catch the school bus and have no siblings..the teacher on bus patrol will take them to class)

Otherwise I take my kids to class when I need to see the teacher.  Parents are always dropping and picking up their kids all the way up to year 6 :-|

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:13 AM

They are still allowing parents to walk the child to class the first week.  There are still orientation nights.  I've never understood the need to walk a child to class every day.  I think it does present a safety issue because you have hundreds of children with hundreds of parents clogging up the halls.

Personally, my son's school every classroom has an exit to the outside.  Parents walk the children up to those doors and pick them up there every day.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2013 at 7:14 AM

We're required to. I like seeing the adults everyday. Teachers, admins, other parents...it's good opportunity to have a quick stop-and-chat with a teacher, a parent, counselor...

DS goes to a commuter school with busy busy a 30 acre campus and multiple buildings so parents need to walk kids to their classes.

One nice thing about private school...parents have waaaaaaayyyyyyyy more control over the policies and procedures the school employs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN