Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Family: Gunman in Mt. Oliver shooting referred to Trayvon Martin before opening fire

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
  • 24 Replies

MOUNT OLIVER, Pa. —The fiancee of a shooting victim who remains hospitalized is refuting claims that the shots were fired in self-defense, and she said that the gunman referenced Trayvon Martin before opening fire.

"I basically watched someone try to kill him in front of my face," Kaelin Bubonovich said Saturday.  "It hurts.  I want justice for him."

Jamal Dixon was shot around 7 p.m. Thursday outside his Elizabeth Street home in Mount Oliver after an argument that began when he noticed a scuff mark on his car, apparently caused by a basketball.   Bubonovich says her fiance asked a group of teenagers playing nearby if they were responsible for the mark, but they denied it.

"Then the other gentleman came over and just completely cut off their conversation and said 'He's only 15, leave him alone," Bubonovich said.

The two argued for a short time, and the other man walked away.  But he came back a short time later to see the mark for himself.  Somehow, the "Stand Your Ground" law, which received nationwide attention after the shooting death of Trayvon Martin by George Zimmerman in Florida, came up and the argument turned heated.
Dixon is black; the shooter is said to be white but police have not released his name.

"He just basically said 'F you, F Trayvon Martin, Zimmerman made this right,'" said Bubonovich. She said the other man pushed Dixon, who then took a step forward and was shot multiple times.

A friend of the shooter who didn't want to be identified said the shooting was justified.  "(Dixon) was yelling at him," the witness said.  "He attacked him, my friend pulled out his gun because he was getting attacked, and he defended himself."

The friend said the shooter is licensed to carry a gun. "He even said the reason he's being so aggressive is to make sure it never happens again," the friend said.

"He set the weapon down on the table, called the ambulance and told them someone is injured, we need an ambulance, and he said, 'Tell the cops I'm going to come out peacefully.'"

Allegheny County homicide detectives and Mount Oliver police have been investigating the shooting. Dixon's family is angry that the shooter has not been arrested.  They say Dixon never touched the man before being shot.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

This law seems to be causing trouble in more than just FL.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Della529:

This law seems to be causing trouble in more than just FL.

If what this guy is reported as saying is true that's just scary.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Good gravy that's awful.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this
Even without the alleged Zimmerman reference, the dude definitely abused the spirit of the law. He left, then CAME BACK with his gun. Then initiated first contact. Wrong, wrong, wrong all around. I hope Mr. Dixon makes a full recovery to testify against this shooter.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Did I read correct?  Not a blow, a punch or even a touch.  Words are now lethal and can cause death.

If this isnt an excuse to fire a gun at another human being I dont know what is??!!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Even without the alleged Zimmerman reference, the dude definitely abused the spirit of the law. He left, then CAME BACK with his gun. Then initiated first contact. Wrong, wrong, wrong all around. I hope Mr. Dixon makes a full recovery to testify against this shooter.

Wasn't that the same reason the woman in Fla that shot at her husband couldn't use Stand Your Ground? She left the room to get the gun and then fired the warning shots.

This crap is scary.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting turtle68:

Did I read correct?  Not a blow, a punch or even a touch.  Words are now lethal and can cause death.

If this isnt an excuse to fire a gun at another human being I dont know what is??!!

Right? Insanity.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I believe so. And I'm just assuming he left to get the gun...but why leave and come back to argue more for any other reason?!?! It's completely ridiculous that this man wasn't arrested. No injuries and at least one witness to the fact he shot without provocation. Just ka-razy!!!

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Wasn't that the same reason the woman in Fla that shot at her husband couldn't use Stand Your Ground? She left the room to get the gun and then fired the warning shots.

This crap is scary.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Luvnlogic:

I believe so. And I'm just assuming he left to get the gun...but why leave and come back to argue more for any other reason?!?! It's completely ridiculous that this man wasn't arrested. No injuries and at least one witness to the fact he shot without provocation. Just ka-razy!!!

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Luvnlogic:

This crap is scary.

I hope this is investigated thoroughly. All we need is a bunch of wannabe tough guys running around and thinking they can shoot anyone that looks at them funny.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I want to wait and see how this plays out:/  If he gets off on this bs, then they need to let that girl go.  If they do not change this law this is not going to end well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)