Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

No gun, no story...mental health issues need more attention in the US

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM
  • 11 Replies

This is a huge story in certain circles, I'm amazed that I had to google and search for it, not any mention in main stream news. Sucks for him that there were Active Duty Marine MP's on board. They jumped right in and restrained him, no guns involved. He was trying to commit suicide and take everyone on the plane with him. We need more focus on mental issues in this country.

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/Blog/2013/08/20/Flight-diverted-after-passenger-attempts-to-open-plane-door-mid-air/1711377024783/

Flight diverted after passenger attempts to open plane door mid-air

AirTran Flight 265 from Baltimore to Austin was diverted to Memphis after a passenger tried to open the back door.

An unruly passenger had to be restrained by off-duty military personnel after he tried to open the emergency exit at the back of a plane en route from Baltimore to Austin.

The flight, operated by AirTran, was diverted to Memphis at 6:30 Monday evening, where all 120 passengers aboard were forced to deplane. After being interviewed by the FBI and airport police, the rest of the passengers were allowed to re-board at 8:24 and continued on to Austin.

John Greaud, the vice president of operations at Memphis Selby County Airport Authority, said the unidentified "unruly passenger" did not appear to be drunk when he was taken from the plane.

One witness aboard the flight said four members of the military who happened to be on the plane pulled the passenger away from the emergency exit and switched seats so they could restrain him until pilots could land in Memphis.

Another passenger said the man was acting suicidal and saying he didn't want to live.

The FBI took the man away in a police car after about two hours of questioning and is determining if the man will be charged.

No one on the flight was injured, and the door was not opened during the flight, Geraud said.

"Everyone was really calm and in good spirits and understanding," said Tara Hamilton, who was on the flight with her young son. "Luckily there were military personnel on the plane and they were really accommodating. It could have been way worse but it wasn't that bad."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2013 at 7:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I think part of the problem is the stigma still attached to any kind of mental illness.

shanesmom24
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:09 AM

i agree.  we tuck mental issues way back in the closet.  if we could all just learn to understand it and open up to treatment  maybe we would see less of these types of things. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think part of the problem is the stigma still attached to any kind of mental illness.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:30 AM

Sucks for him that there were Active Duty Marine MP's on board.

Why does it suck for him? Someone that is mentally unstable and made a crazy and dangerous choice while not in his right mind....more like LUCKY for him.

attitudes like that are one reason that people hide mental health struggles. They risk losing their jobs, friends and family in many cases. People don't like to be around what they don't understand.

The laws in this country make it very difficult to help an adult that is mentally ill ...and they are that way because of our history of abuse on the mentally ill 

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Mental illness is not the issue, guns are.  Taking guns helps to promote the progressive agenda.  An unarmed citizenry is easier to control.

Kristi831
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I think the closing of so many inpatient mental health facilities was and is detrimental to the mentally ill.  Add that to the stigma that still attaches to mental illness, even in 2013, and the mentally ill don't get the treatment they need and deserve. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Quoting Kristi831:

I think the closing of so many inpatient mental health facilities was and is detrimental to the mentally ill.  Add that to the stigma that still attaches to mental illness, even in 2013, and the mentally ill don't get the treatment they need and deserve. 

Reagan really set mental health treatment backwards, in his attempt to set it forward.

Kristi831
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting Kristi831:

Reagan really set mental health treatment backwards, in his attempt to set it forward.

Such a shame, too.  

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I think the problem is that we create a stigma about mental illness in Hollywood and make fun of people like Amanda Bynes when they show clear signs of being unstable.  Have a Mother that is bipolar, I feel strongly that we need to break down these walls and work with those who are suffering because not only does it serve them, but it serves all of us.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:57 PM

The worst illness to have- a broken processing system.

Try to get insurance to help with that "illness." 

You can not force treatment on a non-compliant adult-

Few want to terminate rights and take ownership for other adults- it's a losing proposition.

So how do we keep the weapons away from those with broken processing systems?

LuvmyAiden
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

The problem is that guns are such a hot political issue that everyone wants to talk about the incidents that involve them. No one wants to do the hard work of dealing with the real issues. SO many people(especially kids) are harmed or killed every year due to mental health issues themselves or in the people around them. This is a real problem in this country. Yet beause it isn't a hot button political issue and a ratings getter for tv stations it remains largely ignored while it continues to senselessly take lives.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)