Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

'Law & Order: Special Victims Unit' Highlights Trayvon Martin Case For Upcoming Episode

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM
  • 40 Replies

law and order svu trayvon martin

Through the years, the “Law & Order” franchise has based certain episodes on variouscurrent events. Earlier this year the television drama aired an episode inspired by Rihanna and Chris Brown's highly-publicized 2009 domestic dispute, and now it appears that the show has chosen another controversial news story to highlight.

According to the New York Daily News, actress Cybil Shepard was spotted in New York City on Tuesday filming an upcoming episode of “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” inspired by the Trayvon Martin case.

In the scene, as Shepherd and her legal team try to leave the court, they’re swarmed by a gaggle of reporters and confronted with angry people waving signs similar to the ones seen at dozens of rallies held in honor of Martin over the last year.

The teen’s untimely death in February 2012 sparked national outcry, and various organizations have responded with rallies, magazine covers, and ads in honor of Martin. Most recently the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence released an online video ad, reenacting the night Travyon Martin was killed in an effort to stop "Stand Your Ground" laws nationwide.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/law-and-order-svu-trayvon-martin_n_3790492.html?ncid=txtlnkushpmg00000038

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I  think the Trayvon Martin case needs to go away. Trayvon was a gangbanger thug wannabe who was shot while bashing Zimmerman's head into the concrete, trying to kill him.  He should not be memorialized or hailed as any kid of hero, because he isn't. There are lots of good kids of a variety of races who do heroic things, and there are alot of  kids, of a variety of races, who do bad things, and he is one of them. It is shameful that the black community touts black kids who commit crimes and murder people as "victims." What about the people THEY victimize? I expect that the lawyers of those three kids that killed the baseball player for "fun" will inject racism in there somewhere. It's too bad the black community doesn't do everything it can to lift others up instead of doing everything they can do to drag each other down.

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:06 AM

i wonder if they will show the media/public side or the facts/trial side.  i wonder where the bias will lie.  i am still constantly shocked by the public's reaction/interpretation of this case.

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:35 AM

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

i wonder if they will show the media/public side or the facts/trial side.  i wonder where the bias will lie.  i am still constantly shocked by the public's reaction/interpretation of this case.

Were you at the scene or at the trial? You are saying that nothing in the media is factual? YOU know what the truth is? Right.

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:41 AM

huh??
lol.
i am talking about how the media and the public did not know the facts (and reported and perpetuated misleading information OR outright lies) that would later come out in the trial and that many people were/still are unable to incorporate the facts that came out in the trial into their opinion and feelings on the case.  and i am wondering what part of the whole thing this show will be coming at it from.
hope that clarifies for you what i meant.

generally the show tackles real headline stuff pretty well.. showing different perspectives and all that.so i will certainly be watching. 

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

Were you at the scene or at the trial? You are saying that nothing in the media is factual? YOU know what the truth is? Right.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't watch much tv, but this case does interest me, and I would be curious to know how they will portray this case.

This case should NOT just go away!!

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:53 AM

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

huh??
lol.
i am talking about how the media and the public did not know the facts (and reported and perpetuated misleading information OR outright lies) that would later come out in the trial and that many people were/still are unable to incorporate the facts that came out in the trial into their opinion and feelings on the case.  and i am wondering what part of the whole thing this show will be coming at it from.
hope that clarifies for you what i meant.

generally the show tackles real headline stuff pretty well.. showing different perspectives and all that.so i will certainly be watching. 

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

I guess I am one who doesn't know all the facts, since I wasn't at the trial, though, from what I read, some of the prosecution witnesses changed their stories several times. I don't know who does know the facts, except for seeing the pictures of the wounds on Zimmerman's head. I read that Trayvon had no marks on his body indicating being beaten or attacked. I can only extrapolate from that that Zimmerman was on the ground being beaten to death by Trayvon, and shot T. in self defense. What I do want to know is why people think it was a crime for Zimmerman to walk near Trayvon, or even follow him, if that is what he was doing? It wasn't like he walked behind him and shot him in the back. I also want to know why some people have no problem with Zimmerman being beaten nearly to death when he did not attack or assault T. first? SVU has done a bunch of "ripped from the headlines" stories, for sure.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:34 AM

Of course they are , they do the ripped from the headlines stuff all the time.

They did a Michael Jackson type one also

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I remember that one. Also Law and Order did one like  the controversy around Madonna's adopting the boy from Malawi. I am certain there have been others but I can't think of them.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I remember that one. Also Law and Order did one like  the controversy around Madonna's adopting the boy from Malawi. I am certain there have been others but I can't think of them.

the blood one...where the families blood doesnt disentergrate, they do all the studies on it around the world.  

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:49 AM
6 moms liked this

How do you know he was a gangbanger thug wannabe?  Was he gangbanging or thugging while he was being followed by Zimmerman?  Did Zimmerman have knowledge of his wannabe status?  Trayvon was defending himself when Zimmerman chose to shoot him.  Zimmerman is not the victim here.  Trayvon was not doing anything illegal when Zimmerman profiled him, followed him and approached him with a gun.  He could have avoided the entire thing by letting the police arrive and do their job. 

Are you a member of the "black community?"  Do you have some special insight into what  "they" do or don't do to lift others up instead or dragging each other down?  Please share.

Quoting susannah2000:

I  think the Trayvon Martin case needs to go away. Trayvon was a gangbanger thug wannabe who was shot while bashing Zimmerman's head into the concrete, trying to kill him.  He should not be memorialized or hailed as any kid of hero, because he isn't. There are lots of good kids of a variety of races who do heroic things, and there are alot of  kids, of a variety of races, who do bad things, and he is one of them. It is shameful that the black community touts black kids who commit crimes and murder people as "victims." What about the people THEY victimize? I expect that the lawyers of those three kids that killed the baseball player for "fun" will inject racism in there somewhere. It's too bad the black community doesn't do everything it can to lift others up instead of doing everything they can do to drag each other down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)