Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Plane Makes Emergency Landing After Mom Traveling With 2 Kids 'Drinks 5 Glasses of Wine & Screams Profanities'

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM
  • 34 Replies

Plane Makes Emergency Landing After Mom Traveling With 2 Kids 'Drinks 5 Glasses of Wine & Screams Profanities'

by Nicole Fabian-Weber

planeSometimes, moms, we need to just cut lose, am I right? A glass of wine, or maybe a scotch. Just a little something to take the edge off after a long day of parenting. Kids can really fray your nerves, I tell ya. And I imagine the desire to imbibe would be a bit more intense if, in addition to being the mother of two, you also happen to run your own company. Talk about stress! But downing "five glasses of wine" while you're 90 minutes into your first class flight, "yelling profanities, and standing up on seats" is a little sophomoric. Stephanie Heizmann Auerbach, owner of the fashion company Stephanie & Co, was arrested after a flight going from New York to Shanghai had to be diverted to Anchorage, Alaska due to alleged behavior that would make any frat boy look like the president of the g.d. chess club. Oh, and fun fact! Stephanie's kids were with her!

According to reports, Stephanie began pacing up and down the aisle in the first class cabin a short while after the plane took off. People supposedly saw her trying to sneak drinks from the galley, and she also allegedly assaulted a passenger, demanding the passenger put on a bracelet. When the passenger refused to put the bracelet on, Auerbach reportedly demanded a flight attendant tell her her name. According to documents, Stephanie also appeared to try to gain access to the pilot, in addition to allegedly hitting a flight attendant after she was issued a notice saying she refused to comply with safety requests. After the plane made an emergency stop in Anchorage to remove Auerbach from the plane, the fashion executive was arrested, while her two children continued on to Shanghai to meet their father.

I think there's only word that can sum up this insane situation: Jesus.

We all eye people when we're on a flight, wondering who the annoying/scary/rude person is going to be. And while some people may not be thrilled at the fact that a 47-year-old mom and her two kids are sitting next to them (out of fear the kids will be a pain), I don't think anyone looks at a mom flying first class and thinks, "Oh, great! Looks like the belligerent lush is sitting in A1!"

These people must have been terrified! Her poor kids must be scarred! There has to be more to this story than what we're hearing, because I've gotta be honest here: This is just weird. Thus far, there have been no reports of a drug and/or alcohol history with Auerbach, and drinking 5 glasses of wine in under two hours on a plane isn't exactly common unless said flight is headed to Cancun some time during the second week of March.

Glad everyone's okay, but man, I'm kinda worried for Stephanie's poor children. If this is true, they're never going to be able to unsee this. And, come to think it, neither will anyone else aboard that flight. Jesus.

What do you think of this?

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:35 AM

There goes her mom of the year award.

i wonder if she took any meds before boarding?

lga1965
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I think she sounds like a CM Mom....maybe one who is addicted to posting at Mom Confessions? Or Moms who post here in the middle of the night while most of us are getting a good night's sleep ?

wink mini

Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Jeez'! P*ss poor decision making.

But travelling with 2 kids could drive the best of us to drinking. lol

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Stephanie & Co.?

Noted.

pinkfairy0206
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I'm so tired of excuses, I'm a mom of 4 Kids, and I'm not going to use them as an excuse to drink. I haven't touched one drink and over 11 .years. when you becoming mom you're just that a mom. it's not about you anymore it's about them. now because of her actions her business will probably suffer.
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

It's silly for the report to bring up that there were no previous reports of drug or alcohol abuse. . . do they mean DUI's that might have made the paper? "No reports" means nothing.

Sounds like mommy has a little prinking droblem along with perhaps over-the-top stress and some other mental health issues, along with maybe a little arrogance and sense of entitlement.

Those poor kids!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 9:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Why wouldn't the flight attendant tell her 'no'. A bartender would.

susannah2000
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Depending on the ages and temperaments of the kids, and how long her trip has been, I can see the drinking, and even the profanities. LOL!  However, people on planes take a dim view.

She sounds like she went wacko. Is she on meds, or does she need to be?

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My kids can jump up and down on my last damn nerve at home, but when we are out they have always known just what they could and could not get away with. Even on a plane. Ms Stephanie might have had something else going on.

shanesmom24
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

sounds like a mix of meds and booze.  or mental health issues  and booze.. all three?   i hope there was another adult with her to take care of the kids.  how scaring on top of it all  going into a foster home for the night. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN