Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Israel forced to apologise to Japan

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
  • 162 Replies

Israel forced to apologise to Japan over offensive Hiroshima comments

Head of online public diplomacy disparaged commemorations for victims of atomic bombs in Facebook posting

Nagasaki Marks the 68th Anniversary of Atomic Bomb
Daniel Seaman called Japan's commemorations for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki victims 'self-righteous'. Photograph: The Asahi Shimbun/The Asahi Shimbun via Getty Imag

Israel has been forced to issue a formal apology to Japan over offensive comments posted on Facebook by its head of online public diplomacy.

The apology followed a complaint by the Japanese ambassador to Israel, Hideo Sato, after senior government official Daniel Seaman disparaged commemorations for the victims of the 1945 atomic bombs, causing a wave of protests in Japan.

"I am sick of the Japanese, 'Human Rights' and 'Peace' groups the world over holding their annual self-righteous commemorations for the Hiroshima and Nagasaki victims," Seaman wrote on his Facebook page. "Hiroshima and Nagasaki were the consequence of Japanese aggression. You reap what you sow."

According to the Haaretz newspaper, Israel's ambassador in Tokyo, Nissim Ben-Shitrit, was forced to embark on a damage control exercise. "The incident is very slowly subsiding, but it's too early to assess the damage to Israel's image that it caused," the Israeli embassy in Tokyo wrote in a cable to the foreign ministry in Jerusalem.

The apology was issued by Ya'akov Amidror, national security adviser to the Israeli prime minister, Binyamin Netanyahu. A government official said the incident was "one of the least comfortable moments for Israel in Japan".

Seaman, a former director of the government press office who has a reputation for being abrasive, recently took up a new post to promote positive images of Israel on social media networks. He has since been suspended and is under orders not to speak to the media.

The comments about Japan were part of a string of strongly worded postings by Seaman over recent months.

They included a response to a demand by the Palestinian chief negotiator, Saeb Erekat, for an end to new settlement expansion that read: "Is there a diplomatic way of saying 'Go F*** yourself'?"

At the start of Ramadan, Seaman posted: "Does the commencement of the fast of the Ramadan means [sic] that Muslims will stop eating each other during the daytime?"

In response to a Church of Scotland report that argued that Jews do not have a divine right to the land, he wrote: "Why do they think we give a flying F*** what you have to say?"

In a statement last week, Israel's National Information Directorate said: "Danny Seaman's statements on Facebook are unacceptable and do not express the view of the Israeli government. The directorate instructed Seaman to immediately refrain from making such statements."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/22/israel-apologise-japan-offensive-facebook-comments

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
LOL, this guy is the head of their public online diplomacy?! Wow, he's not keeping his job, I hope...
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Perhaps they should have considered how someone might have said the same thing about the Jews and WWII. It is in history books that the German people felt that they were a threat. It doesn't mean they were or that the consequences of war were not consequences of war but it does act as a slap in the face. I am curious about the Zionist elitism that seems to be presented here and which I have seen presented elsewhere. It certainly does not benefit their cause.

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 12:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I think if Japan is going to be all offended about such a comment, they can start "apologizing" for every single crime against humanity that THEY have committed, and that would take them a while, since they have killed and maimed and tortured thousands upon thousands of people over the years, military and civilian, including women and children, in every country they have occupied and enslaved.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM
6 moms liked this

Quoting susannah2000:

I think if Japan is going to be all offended about such a comment, they can start "apologizing" for every single crime against humanity that THEY have committed, and that would take them a while, since they have killed and maimed and tortured thousands upon thousands of people over the years, military and civilian, including women and children, in every country they have occupied and enslaved.

The same could be said of just about every country on the planet. 

Personally i feel any and every country has the right to be offended if another country disparages them for honoring their dead innocents.

susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting susannah2000:

Personally i feel any and every country has the right to be offended if another country disparages them for honoring their dead innocents.

No it could not be said of the United States. We have done wrong things but no way in hell have we committed the crimes that Japan has committed. Not in any sense of the word. Also Germany, the Middle East and Russia. All of them have killed millions upon millions of innocent people. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Hmm...

All things considered, that's an...interesting...perspective by an Israeli official.

*Blankstare*

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:17 PM
Are you for real? You really believe the US has not killed innocent people (like those in Nagasaki and Hiroshima)? How about the thousands of civilians killed in Iraq? Not to mention the legalised tortures committed in Gitmo.

Maybe the US has not committed crimes on the scale of Japan, but the US is also centuries younger than Japan.

Yeah, you could say the US has done wrong things.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting susannah2000:

No it could not be said of the United States. We have done wrong things but no way in hell have we committed the crimes that Japan has committed. Not in any sense of the word. Also Germany, the Middle East and Russia. All of them have killed millions upon millions of innocent people. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
susannah2000
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Are you for real? You really believe the US has not killed innocent people (like those in Nagasaki and Hiroshima)? How about the thousands of civilians killed in Iraq? Not to mention the legalised tortures committed in Gitmo.

Maybe the US has not committed crimes on the scale of Japan, but the US is also centuries younger than Japan.

Yeah, you could say the US has done wrong things.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Arroree:

Quoting susannah2000:

Are YOU serious? I am glad to discuss my perspective but not  ridiculous posts. I think you need to educate yourself on the wartime history of the other countries. You sound like you don't have a clue. Gitmo? Have you ever heard of SIBERIA?

Kristi831
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:23 PM

How could he have even thought that was okay?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 1:25 PM
4 moms liked this

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured