Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ky. theater won't show 'Butler' because of Fonda

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
  • 128 Replies
5 moms liked this

Jane Fonda, center left, in 'The Butler' (Photo: The Weinstein Company)

ELIZABETHTOWN, Ky. (AP) — A central Kentucky theater owner who trained pilots during the Vietnam War is refusing to show the nation's top movie, "The Butler" because one of the stars is Jane Fonda who was an outspoken opponent of the conflict.

Ike Boutwell owns MoviePalace and Showtime Cinemas in Elizabethtown. He tells The News-Enterprise (http://bit.ly/16QB9Er) he won't show the popular flick about a butler who served eight U.S. presidents because it has Fonda starring as former first lady Nancy Reagan.

Boutwell said Fonda's statements and demonstrations against the Vietnam War caused him to view her as a traitor, and he won't show any movie involving her in his theaters.

The Korean War veteran said: "I trained hundreds of pilots to fly, many of whom Ms. Fonda clapped and cheered as they were shot down."

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caera
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM
8 moms liked this

Good for this theater. That sorry excuse for a human being's piece of shit should be shot in the knees and stomach and left to die slowly.

The fact that she's in that movie makes me sick to my stomach.

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM
12 moms liked this

Classy. Glad to see you're so much nicer and more level-headed than she. *eyeroll*

Quoting Caera:

Good for this theater. That sorry excuse for a human being's piece of shit should be shot in the knees and stomach and left to die slowly.

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
4 moms liked this

His perogative. I do certainly get where he, personally, is coming from.

But I definitely am looking forward to seeing the movie. It looks fantastic. 

parentalrights1
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM
6 moms liked this
Don't you just sound like a blood thirsty little turd.

Let me guess, you're pro life?

Quoting Caera:

Devious333
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:32 PM
7 moms liked this
I don't watch movies with her in it so I don't care.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Caera
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not pro her life, that's for sure.

Also, turd? Really? What are you, 12?

Quoting parentalrights1:

Don't you just sound like a blood thirsty little turd.

Let me guess, you're pro life?

Quoting Caera:

supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:36 PM
7 moms liked this

Fonda didn't clap and cheer as US pilots were shot down. What she did was, she got chummy with North Vietnamese artillary and sat behind a big gun as it was pointed at US soldiers. No one was shot. I think it didn't occur to her that they were real people, real Americans. She was only thinking about her point of view.

She was young and stupid. What I don't understand is why anyone pays any attention to stupid celebs when they try to be political. It was almost 50 years ago. That theater owner needs to give it up.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:40 PM
2 moms liked this

It's his business.

However, I think most people do things they regret when they are young.  I have no idea if she regrets it now, but I would be curious what her perspective is now.

lga1965
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM
4 moms liked this

Oh for goodness sake. well...this is the state with a Creationism type of theme park, with dinosaurs they say walked the earth with humans only 6000 years ago. They aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Jane Fonda apologized  many times for her comments during the Vietnam war and it shouldn't be an issue anymore. Some people have to hold onto a grudge. That's THEIR problem. That will poison your life.

I was an Air Force Officer's wife for 21 years. In all that time I only knew one person who hated Jane Fonda and he was not too sharp, either. I'm still surprised he was able to get a college degree and pass the tests at OTS. Oh well.

katy_kay08
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this

whatever floats his boat.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN