Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/aj-jacobs-ted_n_3762549.html?1376674237&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D361843

If you say you take the bible literally, as god's word, you Don't. It's not even close. Unless you are all for killing your daughters if they have sex before marriage. Watch this.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
SuperChicken
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

That was a great TED talk :)  I'm going to have to order that book.   

famiglia_bella
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

That was funny, interesting, and even eye-opening.  I'll have to read that book now.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

True, but Jews don't follow "the Bible".  The have the Torah and other texts. Since the guy claimed to be attempting to live "biblically", I can only assume that this was directed at Christians.

Quoting unspecified42:

Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

HERE is the law we follow:

The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

lga1965
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I don't think there are Jews who stone people now,though,right?

see, this is why I don't trust that the Bible is a good book.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:09 PM
I'm guessing you didn't read the book or watch the video. He spent time in both old and New Testament. It wasn't directed to anyone, really, just an interesting look at two major world religions. The author is Jewish by birth, agnostic by belief.

Quoting TranquilMind:

True, but Jews don't follow "the Bible".  The have the Torah and other texts. Since the guy claimed to be attempting to live "biblically", I can only assume that this was directed at Christians.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperChicken
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Did you watch the talk linked in the OP or read the book?   I haven't read the book but in the talk, he indicated he used several Bibles including the Jewish Torah.    He didn't appear to be focusing on religion so much as all laws included in the Bible, which includes the Torah.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I didn't watch the entire video.  However,

I was responding to your statement: Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm guessing you didn't read the book or watch the video. He spent time in both old and New Testament. It wasn't directed to anyone, really, just an interesting look at two major world religions. The author is Jewish by birth, agnostic by belief.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
I'm an atheist, myself. My husband is Jewish, though not very strongly observant. I did enjoy the book, though. The author had some very interesting insights into faith and religion and Jewish traditions and beliefs. I'm familiar with the Christian ones, and they aren't a terribly interesting group tradition-wise, anyway;) you don't have to believe or even like the Bible to enjoy the book.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't think there are Jews who stone people now,though,right?

see, this is why I don't trust that the Bible is a good book.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM
I'm really confused about what your point here is. The thread is a discussion of a man's book and subsequent lecture about his attempts to live according to Biblical command (the Torah is the same scripture as is found in the beginning of the Bible. Is that the source of your confusion?) We are all aware of the difference between Judaism and Christianity, and that isn't what anyone is talking about. Many Jewish people follow the traditions in the Torah/first bit of the Old Testament.

Perhaps it would help if you understood what the rest of us are talking about by watching the video or reading the book.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I didn't watch the entire video.  However,

I was responding to your statement: Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kristi831
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:24 PM

That was interesting. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)