Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/aj-jacobs-ted_n_3762549.html?1376674237&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D361843

If you say you take the bible literally, as god's word, you Don't. It's not even close. Unless you are all for killing your daughters if they have sex before marriage. Watch this.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Where does it say in the bible we are to take everything literally?
copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:06 PM

going crazy What? Jews don't follow the bible? What? oh, my head hurts. Your ignorance has given me a headache! Um, have you heard of the old testament? The parts that were written for the Jewish people? What do you you think the Torah is?Quoting TranquilMind:

True, but Jews don't follow "the Bible".  The have the Torah and other texts. Since the guy claimed to be attempting to live "biblically", I can only assume that this was directed at Christians.

Quoting unspecified42:

Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

HERE is the law we follow:

The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Quoting 12hellokitty:

Where does it say in the bible we are to take everything literally?

Apparently you have never heard...well, much of anything.

The bible is supposed to be the literal word of god. It is a tenet of christian faith (I can't speak for the Jewish faith) that it isn't just a collection of stuff that people way back then happened to write down, even though that is actually what it is. Christianity says that the words were given to the writers directly from god. Never hear of god's word?

People hate the lgbt community - because the bible says they are bad. That's been discussed all over the place lately. People use the bible to excuse a LOT of horrible things because it is god's word.

slapping forehead

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:13 PM

He took all of this from Bibles. He explains all of that at the beginning. The ones with 10 commandments, and a lot of thous shalls and shall nots.

Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;

Looking4Truth
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

You are 100% right TranquilMind!!  I couldn't have said it better!!! 

Quoting TranquilMind:

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM

One of the reasons he read so many different translations. Like he says at the beginning. Not sure what your post has to do with this.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

While I haven't read the book I find it very interesting. Many of the more extreme notions gotten from the bible are old testament, which is not exactly relevant to the living of life after the death of Jesus. Also translation from the original to the english language has left many things under debate. One word can change a lot.

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM

If you don't understand about the Torah, you can google it, I am sure there are many, many articles about it.

Quoting copasetic1:

going crazy What? Jews don't follow the bible? What? oh, my head hurts. Your ignorance has given me a headache! Um, have you heard of the old testament? The parts that were written for the Jewish people? What do you you think the Torah is?Quoting TranquilMind:

True, but Jews don't follow "the Bible".  The have the Torah and other texts. Since the guy claimed to be attempting to live "biblically", I can only assume that this was directed at Christians.

Quoting unspecified42:

Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.

Quoting TranquilMind:

copasetic1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Oh, and he was raised in the Jewish faith. I kind of think he is aware of all that.

Quoting copasetic1:

He took all of this from Bibles. He explains all of that at the beginning. The ones with 10 commandments, and a lot of thous shalls and shall nots.

Quoting TranquilMind:

OneToughMami
by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM

It is quite precious how many preach the life but do not actually live it.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/b762891efaf7adb4ad80ae87e3b3ef62/tumblr_mfvw40stJP1s04tjto1_250.gif

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I was raised as an Orthodox Jew. I don't have time to go over the video tonight, but I'd like to clarify a few things.

Tanakh is an acronym for the following:

1. T for Torah: The First Five Books of Moses
 2. N for Nevi'im: The Prophets
 3. K for Kethuvim: The Writings

The Books are as follows:
The Five Books of Moses:
1. Bereshit [In the beginning]: Genesis
2. Shemot [The names]: Exodus
3. VaYikra [And He called]: Leviticus
4. BaMidbar [In the wilderness]: Numbers
5. Devarim [The words]: Deuteronomy.

The Early Prophets:
6. Yehoshua: Joshua
7. Shoftim: Judges
8. Shmuel: I & II Samuel
9. Melachim: I & II Kings

The Later Prophets:
10. Yeshayahu: Isaiah
11. Yirmiyahu: Jeremiah
12. Yechezkel: Ezekiel
13. Trei Asar: The Twelve (1 book)
Hoshea
Yoel
Amos
Ovadiah
Yonah
Michah
Nachum
Chavakuk
Tzefaniah
Chaggai
Zechariah
Malachi

The Books of Truth:
14. Tehilim: Psalms
15. Mishlei: Proverbs
16. Iyov: Job

The Five Scrolls:
17. Shir HaShirim: Song of Songs
18. Ruth
19. Eichah: Lamentations
20. Kohelet: Ecclesiastes
21. Esther

The Other Writings:
22. Daniel
23. Ezra-Nechemiah: Nehemiah
24. Divrei HaYamim: Chronicles I and II

Jewish scriptures are sometimes bound in a form that corresponds to weekly readings (parshas). Scriptures bound this way are referred to as a Chumash.

In addition we have Oral Torah:

Tradition maintained oral form until the 2d century CE, when oral law was compiled and written down in a document called the Mishnah.

Additional commentaries elaborating on the Mishnah were written down in Jerusalem and Babylon. These additional commentaries are known as Gemara.

The Gemara and the Mishnah together are known as the Talmud. There have been additional commentaries on Talmud by noted Jewish scholars Rashi and Rambam.

The Mishnah is divided into 6 sections called. Each contains one or more divisions called masekhtot (tractates). There are 63 masekhtot in the Mishnah. The Mishnah and Talmud engage in quite a bit of free-association, thus widely diverse subjects may be discussed.

1. Zera'im (Seeds): Agricultural laws
 2. Mo'ed (Festivals): Shabbat and Festivals
 3. Nashim (Women): Marriage, Divorce, Contracts
 4. Nezikin (Damages): Tort and Financial Laws
 5. Kodashim (Holy Things): Sacrifices and the Temple
 6. Toharot (Purities): Laws of Purity/Impurity

NOTE: Please be aware that there are a lot of anti-semitic websites which love to distort the Talmud.

------

- The Torah is part of the so called Old Testament.
 - Old Testament is a Christian theological statement.

The statement 'Old Testament' is a definition of how Christianity views the Jewish Bible in comparison to the New Testament. Something "old" is not nearly as valuable as something new. It's an insulting implication, since we don't feel the Tanakh is old at all.

- The books seen in the Christian "Old Testament" are there, but they are arranged differently.
- The story of Esther is also included in Writings.
- Certain books are considered 1 book in Tanakh, 2 in the OT (Samuel/Kings/Chronicles/Prophets/Ezra)
- Some Christians use extra books, which are called deuterocanonical (or apocrypha).
- These books are found in early Greek translations but were rejected by the rabbis.
- Jewish publishers use different versification scheme than Christian publishers.

Scriptural Discrepancies:

[Psalm 22:17]
Tanakh: "Hikifuni ca'ari yaday veraglay"
Means: "They bound me like a lion (ca-like ari-lion), my hands (yaday) and my feet (ve-and raglay-my feet).

Hikifuni = They bound me
Ca = like
Ari = Lion
Yaday = My hands
Ve = And
Raglay = My feet

Christian translation: "They pierced my hands and feet"
Nowhere in the Tanakh do the words ca'ari or hikifuny mean anything remotely resembling "pierce".

[Isaiah 7:14]
Tanakh: "Hinei ha'almah harah veyoledet ben"
Means: "Behold (hineih) the young woman (ha - the almah- young woman) is pregnant (harah) and shall give birth (ve-and yoledet-shall give birth) to a son (ben)".

Hineih = Behold
Ha = The
Almah = Young woman
Harah = Is pregnant
Ve = And
Yoledet = Shall give birth
Ben = To a son

Christian translation: "Behold a virgin shall give birth"

They have made two mistakes in the one verse.
1. The mistranslation of 'ha' as 'a' when it in fact means 'the'
2. The mistranslation of 'almah' as 'virgin'. The Hebrew word for virgin is 'betulah'.

Here is another short example (contradictions like these exist consistently throughout the Tanakh/OT)

[2 Corinthians 3:12‑16] “To this day when Moses is read, a veil lies over their heart. But when a man turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away...”

It's an intentional mistranslation from a passage in Exodus.

In Chapter 34, we are told when Moses came down from Sinai, his face was beaming with rays of light. This light was so intense that the Jews could not look at him. When Moses stopped speaking to the Jews and finished teaching, he would cover his face with a veil.

Tanakh: [Exodus 34:34] “When Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face.”
[Christian translation] “And till Moses had done speaking with them, he put a veil on his face.”

The Hebrew word for “had finished” is the same as used in [Genesis 2:1] where God "had finished" [vayechulu – וַיְכֻלּ֛וּ] creation.

The authors of these Christian translations, including the King James Bible, have contradicted the original Hebrew and intentionally mistranslated the verse in Exodus to make it consistent with the verse in Corinthians.

Their incorrect version deliberately implies that until Moses was finished speaking to the Jews, he had a veil over his face. Therefore, he transmitted only a veiled understanding of the meaning of his words!

There are other major contradictions and inconsistencies within the translations, but these are a few examples.

Quoting copasetic1:

What? Jews don't follow the bible? What? oh, my head hurts. Your ignorance has given me a headache! Um, have you heard of the old testament? The parts that were written for the Jewish people? What do you you think the Torah is?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)