Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/aj-jacobs-ted_n_3762549.html?1376674237&icid=maing-grid7%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl6%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D361843

If you say you take the bible literally, as god's word, you Don't. It's not even close. Unless you are all for killing your daughters if they have sex before marriage. Watch this.

by on Aug. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Replies (31-40):
petitekatie
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Bump so I can watch on my laptop!
andiemomo3
by Andie on Aug. 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Agreed.  I read it when it first came out also.  The author is a comedian.  The book is fun and interesting.

Quoting momtoscott:

This was a really interesting book.  I read it when it came out a couple of years ago.  

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:12 PM

These arguments really hold no weight in Judaism (outside of the fact that the Humanistic, Reconstructionist, Reform and Conservative movements have been supportive of the LGBT movement and vote higher for LGBT civil rights than liberal democrats - but outside of this).

I meant to quote Iga for the bottom part - sorry.

We actually DO follow the Laws.
However there are requirements for things like --> Stoning.

Stoning was stopped because it was impossible to do with the requirements attached to it.

It was exceptionally difficult for a court to sentence someone to death. There is a statement made in the Talmud that a court that sentenced more than two people to death in 7 years was bloodthirsty, an alternate opinion states it was 70 years.

Let's look at the requirements to implement the death penalty:

1) The Sanhedrin has to sit in the Temple. If they can't, NO Jewish court can impose a death sentence.
-- We don't have a Temple.

2) The action has to be done with knowledge and intent that it's forbidden regardless of it being forbidden.
-- If it was done accidently or without intent then the person brought a Korban Oleh (a variable sin sacrifice).
-- If the person killed accidently, they had to live in one of the cities of exile until the death of the current Kohen.

3) People have to be warned beforehand by two kosher witnesses.
- The warning has to include the fact that the action is punishable by death 

4) The person has to acknowledge the warning.
-- You have to tell them you heard the warning….

5) The person then has to immediately perform the forbidden action.
-- This is defined as doing it within the time it takes to say “Shalom lecha Rebbi”- around 3 seconds.

6) The court has to have a minimum of 23 judges.
-- They had to be there for the entire case 

7) The witnesses were asked two sets of questions:
A) One which established the facts such as when, where, how etc...
B) The other based on their observations. Any discrepancy would render their testimony invalid.

8) Witnesses could be called to either defend the accused or to claim the other witnesses were lying

9) The judges would deliberate
-- While deliberating a judge that argued innocence could not then raise an argument to find them guilty
-- A judge that argued guilty, could raise an argument that they were innocent
(after he couldn't raise further arguments for their guilt)

10) The most junior judge would put arguments across first and then it would continue in order of reverse seniority so that people would not be worried about contradicting the senior judges

11 ) When a vote was taken, only a majority of one was needed for innocence, but a majority of two needed for guilt

Rabbi Akivah stated that if the courts had the power to sentence people to death in his day, no one would ever have been convicted as he would have asked such questions as to make sure the witnesses were invalidated.

Quoting copasetic1:

Apparently you have never heard...well, much of anything.

The bible is supposed to be the literal word of god. It is a tenet of christian faith (I can't speak for the Jewish faith) that it isn't just a collection of stuff that people way back then happened to write down, even though that is actually what it is. Christianity says that the words were given to the writers directly from god. Never hear of god's word?

People hate the lgbt community - because the bible says they are bad. That's been discussed all over the place lately. People use the bible to excuse a LOT of horrible things because it is god's word.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I actually just answered that one for you guys ;).
Feel free to check my response about it.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't think there are Jews who stone people now,though,right?

see, this is why I don't trust that the Bible is a good book.

Quoting unspecified42:

Many Jewish households still follow these laws and traditions.
Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

HERE is the law we follow:

The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Orthodox Jews absolutely do -- however; we also follow the Oral Law (Talmud) in accordance with Written Law (TaNaKH). So, just reading a sentence from the Tanakh, without properly questioning/understanding it and reading it at "face value" doesn't translate to how Judaism interprets its texts, if that makes sense.

It would be like reading poetry without putting any context into the word phrasing, emotion, and point behind the poem itself.

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm really confused about what your point here is. The thread is a discussion of a man's book and subsequent lecture about his attempts to live according to Biblical command (the Torah is the same scripture as is found in the beginning of the Bible. Is that the source of your confusion?) We are all aware of the difference between Judaism and Christianity, and that isn't what anyone is talking about. Many Jewish people follow the traditions in the Torah/first bit of the Old Testament.

Perhaps it would help if you understood what the rest of us are talking about by watching the video or reading the book.
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:19 PM

I know what the Bible is, and apparently you do not.  Of course the first five books -of the 66 - are the Torah, not the "Old Testament". There are also the Prophets, and the Writings or written law, which comprise much of the rest of what Christians call "The Old Testament".

Jews do not recognize "The New Testament".  Consequently, only the Holy Scriptures (i.e. "Old" Testament) are used, and the Talmud, the Oral Torah (actually two Talmuds, the Jerusalem Talmud, and the Babylonian Talmud).    They also utilize the Midrashim.;

Since they do not recognize the New Testament, they DO NOT use The Bible.

You're welcome.  

Quoting copasetic1:

going crazy What? Jews don't follow the bible? What? oh, my head hurts. Your ignorance has given me a headache! Um, have you heard of the old testament? The parts that were written for the Jewish people? What do you you think the Torah is?Quoting TranquilMind:

True, but Jews don't follow "the Bible".  The have the Torah and other texts. Since the guy claimed to be attempting to live "biblically", I can only assume that this was directed at Christians.

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

This confuses the ceremonial and civil law of Israel, which we no longer follow, with the moral law, which is true for all time. 

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;

copasetic1
by Member on Aug. 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Here are your words:

True, but Jews don't follow "the Bible".  The have the Torah and other texts. Since the guy claimed to be attempting to live "biblically", I can only assume that this was directed at Christians.

Jews follow much or even all of the old testament, and a lot more. Christians follow the old and the new testament and, I assume, a lot more. He read many versions of these books, Jewish and Christian, ancient and new, many different translations. How is he directing all this at christians? You miss his point entirely.

Quoting TranquilMind:

I know what the Bible is, and apparently you do not.  Of course the first five books -of the 66 - are the Torah, not the "Old Testament". There are also the Prophets, and the Writings or written law, which comprise much of the rest of what Christians call "The Old Testament".

Jews do not recognize "The New Testament".  Consequently, only the Holy Scriptures (i.e. "Old" Testament) are used, and the Talmud, the Oral Torah (actually two Talmuds, the Jerusalem Talmud, and the Babylonian Talmud).    They also utilize the Midrashim.;

Since they do not recognize the New Testament, they DO NOT use The Bible.

You're welcome.  

Quoting copasetic1:

going crazy What? Jews don't follow the bible? What? oh, my head hurts. Your ignorance has given me a headache! Um, have you heard of the old testament? The parts that were written for the Jewish people? What do you you think the Torah is?Quoting TranquilMind:

Quoting unspecified42:

Quoting TranquilMind:

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM

And yet so many of our fellow Christians have trouble with these concepts. Especially the love thy neighbor part.

Quoting TranquilMind:

unspecified42
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 5:22 AM
Yes, I'm aware (Jewish husband). I'm guessing you haven't read the book, either? The author has a handful of advisors to help him interpret and understand the law.

Quoting collectivecow:

Orthodox Jews absolutely do -- however; we also follow the Oral Law (Talmud) in accordance with Written Law (TaNaKH). So, just reading a sentence from the Tanakh, without properly questioning/understanding it and reading it at "face value" doesn't translate to how Judaism interprets its texts, if that makes sense.

It would be like reading poetry without putting any context into the word phrasing, emotion, and point behind the poem itself.

Quoting unspecified42:

I'm really confused about what your point here is. The thread is a discussion of a man's book and subsequent lecture about his attempts to live according to Biblical command (the Torah is the same scripture as is found in the beginning of the Bible. Is that the source of your confusion?) We are all aware of the difference between Judaism and Christianity, and that isn't what anyone is talking about. Many Jewish people follow the traditions in the Torah/first bit of the Old Testament.

Perhaps it would help if you understood what the rest of us are talking about by watching the video or reading the book.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Quoting unspecified42:

I haven't: Then again, I don't really get time to read much of anything these days (which stinks because I love reading).
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)