Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Drop in Circumcision Rate Bad News for Baby Boys? Is your baby circumcised?

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 127 Replies

Drop in Circumcision Rate Is Bad News for Baby Boys

by Mary Fischer

baby feetAccording to newly released data from the National Center for Health Statistics, circumcision rates for newborn boys have dropped by six percentage points over the past three decades. Annual hospital discharge data of between 7,000 and 12,000 baby boys was examined, and interestingly enough, the biggest dip in circumcisions occurred in western states in the U.S. as opposed to other areas of the country.

And I guess the data really isn't all that surprising considering how controversial the subject of circumcision has become, particularly in the last few years or so. It seems like more and more parents are becoming opposed to the idea -- something which I can't fully understand.

When my husband and I had our son seven years ago, the decision over whether or not to have him circumcised wasn't even a question. Our pediatrician performed it in the hospital the day after he was born, and not once did the thought of whether or not it was the right thing to do cross our minds.

First and foremost, we knew we wanted it done for hygiene reasons. It's so much harder to keep that area clean if the procedure isn't performed -- and we believed it would leave him more prone to infection if he was not circumcised.

Second, and I really don't care how stupid or cliche this sounds, we didn't want him to get teased in the high school locker room because he was the only boy who hadn't been circumcised. Seriously, have you ever seen an uncircumcised penis? I have. Once. While I was working in the toddler room at a day care center when I was 18 and had to change the diaper of a little boy who hadn't been snipped. It looks ... well ... different. Noticeably different. (And there was no way I was going to let my kid be the dude with the weird looking penis.)

More from The Stir: Pros & Cons of Circumcising Your Son

Lastly, we worried about how being uncircumcised might affect his sex life down the road. What kind of parents would we have been to put a damper on things in that department? We feared that it wouldn't be as pleasurable for him, or that it might be a turn off for a lot of women, which could be pretty humiliating. (I know I'd want to hop out of bed and run if I saw all that extra skin staring back at me.)

Yes, I understand why some parents are opposed to circumcision. I'll admit that reading about some of the horror stories that have occurred with the procedure are pretty scary. I can see where it might sway someone's decision as far as their baby boy is concerned.

But I'm just not sure that the decline in how many newborns are being circumcised is a good thing. Sure, every parent is entitled to his or her own opinion on the subject, and what they choose to do when their baby arrives is up to them. But hopefully before deciding not to go through with it, they'll do their research to ensure they're making the best decision for their child. Even the American Academy of Pediatrics says that the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks, and that recommendation combined with the other three reasons I listed is more than enough to convince me to do it again if I ever were to have another baby boy.

Is your baby circumcised? Why or why not?

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lwalker270
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:02 AM
8 moms liked this

This article was clearly written by a pro-circumcision mother with no idea how to care for an intact child.  

We didn't circumcise because we did the research and determined it was not necessary for our children.  

GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM

We did the same.

Quoting lwalker270:

This article was clearly written by a pro-circumcision mother with no idea how to care for an intact child.  

We didn't circumcise because we did the research and determined it was not necessary for our children.  

ZombieMeat
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this

I hope it keeps declining.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:12 AM
6 moms liked this

Just another area where the decision rests with the parents, as it should.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My dad wasn't circumcized. I accidentally walked in on him in the bathroom when I was about 8. I thought he was malformed (I had taken baths with my brothers)

I think women lose out on this because of the spread of disease. I personally would never perform fellatio on an uncircumcized one.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:49 AM
4 moms liked this

My oldest is but my other two aren't.  I didn't see the point.  If I had to pick a side I'd fall on the "don't circ" side, but I am certainly not militant about it and feel you should do as you see fit.

And the "weird looking penis" argument makes me laugh every time.  Penises are hilarious looking no matter what.  ;)

flika
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest son is circumsized. I was young and didn't know better. I went for what my mom and aunt told me. I will never forget how much he cried and how he screamed in pain when it was being done and after, he continue to cry. It was horrible! When I had my youngest, and after doing some research plus my experience of my oldest, I decided not to and I'm glad I didn't.
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My boys are and i never thought not to do it, I thought it was just one of those thing that you just do like remove the umbical cord. At least that how the doctors made it seem.

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:06 AM
My son is circumcised, if I have anymore sons, they won't be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katy_kay08
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 10:13 AM

One of the reasons for the decline is insurance companies have stopped covering the procedure.  Many parents that are circumcising are choosing to have their pediatrician do it in his office as the cost is less than having it done at the hospital.  

We decided to not circumcise our younger two.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN