Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Akron Children's Hospital: Force Amish 10-year-old girl to have chemotherapy

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM
  • 38 Replies

MEDINA, Ohio - An Ohio hospital wants a court to give it limited guardianship over a 10-year-old Amish girl with leukemia whose parents decided to stop her chemotherapy.

A juvenile judge blocked an Akron Children's Hospital attorney who's also a registered nurse from making medical decisions for the girl. The hospital plans to appeal.

The Medina Gazette reports the judge ruled in late July that the girl's parents can make medical decisions for her because there's no evidence they are unfit.

The parents initially allowed chemotherapy treatment but stopped after their daughter begged them to.

Her parents say the treatment's effects were terrible. They say they're now using "natural" medicines, such as herbs and vitamins.

The hospital says the girl will die without chemotherapy.

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_medina/akron-childrens-hospital-force-amish-10-year-old-girl-to-have-chemotherapy#ixzz2coVWUdV1

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Its not the hospitals business. Many illnesses are being cured or managed with alternative medicine.
Kristi831
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

The hospital is overstepping its bounds.  The decision is up to the parents.  

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Good for the Judge for realizing that disagreeing with a form of medical treatment does not mean parents are unfit.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Leave the parents and child alone.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM
3 moms liked this

I was told when I stopped my son's ADHD meds that CPS could be called on me for neglect.... I told the Dr "Go ahead and call them... I'm the mom and my son is worse off on the meds than off. You've not listened to me once about how horrible he is on the meds so he's coming off!!"

CPS was never called and I already had an atty on call in case they were.

This is BS. Parents have a right to refuse treatment if it's doing more harm than good for their kids. Hospitals need to stop trying to FORCE treatment on people. I get the child was there to get treated for the lukemia but when the treatment wasn't working and the child begged her parents to make the treatment stop; it's time to stop. 

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Kudos for the Judge!

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I'm glad the judge listened to the parents.

usndolphin
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:59 AM

that is the thing. they tried it. the child begged to stop.parents agreed.  the hospital cant say 100% this will cure her. 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

I was told when I stopped my son's ADHD meds that CPS could be called on me for neglect.... I told the Dr "Go ahead and call them... I'm the mom and my son is worse off on the meds than off. You've not listened to me once about how horrible he is on the meds so he's coming off!!"

CPS was never called and I already had an atty on call in case they were.

This is BS. Parents have a right to refuse treatment if it's doing more harm than good for their kids. Hospitals need to stop trying to FORCE treatment on people. I get the child was there to get treated for the lukemia but when the treatment wasn't working and the child begged her parents to make the treatment stop; it's time to stop. 

Shoota
by Lauren on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:38 AM

I am glad that they stood their ground and won. The medical decisions should be left up to the patient and guardians.

Its a very sad story. I cant imagine what those parents are going through. Having to take your child off medicine at the child's request, while watching your child get really sick, and have to go through a legal battle, all at the same time.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:44 AM
I feel in situation like that when a kid can voice their wishes they need to be listened to. Sometimes hospitals need to step off and let people make their own decisions
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)