Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Dander dilemma: Teacher's allergy and students service dog at odds

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 245 Replies

ATHENS, Ohio - The mother of a first-grader with autism who uses a service dog is challenging a decision that the girl must change schools because her teacher is allergic to dog dander.

Athens, Ohio, superintendent Carl Martin calls it a reasonable solution to balance the rights of the teacher and the student.

But the girl's mother, Charla Gretz, said it would disturb her 6-year-old daughter. She also says the bus ride would be significantly longer from their home. Martin disputes that.

An attorney with the Ohio School Boards Association says schools are legally obligated to accommodate the student and teacher. She says that might be harder for a smaller district like Athens with fewer special-education teachers.

Gretz plans to take the issue to the school board.

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM
4 moms liked this

Time for the teacher to look for another job.

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:42 PM
11 moms liked this
The school is legally obligated to accommodate them both. Why can't the girl just switch classes?
krysstizzle
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Why can't she switch classes?

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Small schools often don't have that ability

My last job, I was the entire English department for the High School.

Quoting Jack_Squat:

The school is legally obligated to accommodate them both. Why can't the girl just switch classes?

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

The teacher may be the only Sped Ed teacher at the elementary.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Why can't she switch classes?

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
3 moms liked this

She is a special needs child in a small rural town.  There aren't other classroom options.   Why should the teacher leave over the needs of 1 child?  I imagine there are other kids in her class who would be upset to lose their teacher.   Why should the needs of 1 child overrule everyone else??????

Jack_Squat
by Silver Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM
When it's a medical issue, the school has a legal responsibility to both of them. Idk. Tough situation.

Quoting KenneMaw:

She is a special needs child in a small rural town.  There aren't other classroom options.   Why should the teacher leave over the needs of 1 child?  I imagine there are other kids in her class who would be upset to lose their teacher.   Why should the needs of 1 child overrule everyone else??????

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I.D.E.A.

Quoting KenneMaw:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Does allergy medication not work for the teacher?

thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM
1 mom liked this

They do have allergy shots for that. I'm allergic to my cat and my allergist offered to make up a serum for me for it. Only reason I haven't started is because they require you to attend a class for a few weeks and you have to have someone accompany you to learn to give you the shots. Unfortunately with my DH's schedule (oilfield worker), it's impossible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN