Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stop the racism!

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
  • 179 Replies
4 moms liked this

Seriously, the majority of posts in not just this forum, but others also, are race baiting.  Maybe it is just where I live, but no one around here cares about race.  We just don't.  If we are going to have a discussion about it, because it is a current and hot topic, let's have a productive and real conversation about it.  

Let's start with, do you feel like the area you live in has a racism problem?  

What do you think causes it?

How do you think that can be resolved? 

Yes, these are simple questions but as Maya Angelou said, “Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet."  

simple frown

by on Aug. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know anyone who actually discusses race regularly. My husband and I are of different races and we never talk about it.

There are no hate crimes where I live. While my area is predominantly white, my family has never been made to feel uncomfortable and my children are treated like grandchildren by quite a few of my older neighborss.

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I don't know anyone who regularly discusses it either, at least not with a negative connotation.  I am not sure if my neighborhood has a predominate race or religion.   It is extremely diverse.  Probably the most diverse place I have ever lived and I love it.  

Quoting lizmarie1975:

I don't know anyone who actually discusses race regularly. My husband and I are of different races and we never talk about it.

There are no hate crimes where I live. While my area is predominantly white, my family has never been made to feel uncomfortable and my children are treated like grandchildren by quite a few of my older neighborss.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:11 PM

We cannot have a logical and grown up discussion on race because some think that being color blind is reality.  Noone is color blind, we all see color, it is how we react to it that makes all the difference.  It is the reality of some that Obama has caused a riff in race relations, that is ridiculous even to say.  Race relations have never been good, they have gotten better, thanks to laws and people actually realizing that all of us are equal.  All these post are a prime example of just how bad race relations are, when one trial has allowed people to play tit for tat with crimes being committed and pitting one race against another.  Those post are race baiters, they are put out there to receive negative reactions and continue to divide us further apart. 

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You know what, I totally agree that the idea that being colorblind is a hindrance.  I think part of what improves a society is accepting and embracing cultural differences.  

Quoting denise3680:

We cannot have a logical and grown up discussion on race because some think that being color blind is reality.  Noone is color blind, we all see color, it is how we react to it that makes all the difference.  It is the reality of some that Obama has caused a riff in race relations, that is ridiculous even to say.  Race relations have never been good, they have gotten better, thanks to laws and people actually realizing that all of us are equal.  All these post are a prime example of just how bad race relations are, when one trial has allowed people to play tit for tat with crimes being committed and pitting one race against another.  Those post are race baiters, they are put out there to receive negative reactions and continue to divide us further apart. 

denise3680
by Gold Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

You know what, I totally agree that the idea that being colorblind is a hindrance.  I think part of what improves a society is accepting and embarrassing cultural differences.  

Quoting denise3680:

I agree, accepting what is different is the only way we can stop the hate that seems to be boiling to the surface lately.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Ain't nobody got time for that

kjc143
by New Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I HONESTLY wish that there could be a logical discussion about the topic, especially here.  But, I don't think there can be right now.  Tensions are too high (on this website and I'm sure in some places around the country).  I feel like every time I come to this group or Mom Confessions lately there is a race war and a class war going on.  I'm not only annoyed by it, but disheartened.  I already removed myself from MC, and will soon remove myself from this group if it doesn't get better.  I come here to engage with other moms and for some good conversation.  You can't get that with all this hate swirling around.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

The problem is it's always we need to pay for the sins of those in the civil war era and they do it more than me attitude. Once that stops problems will decrease.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It's rarely a topic of conversation in my real life.

I believe it's fear that causes it. Just how much insecurity and self-loathing is prevalent is really appalling.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 23, 2013 at 2:22 PM
6 moms liked this

And ain't nobody hearin' that. 

Seriously, that's a ridiculous answer. The only place I hear about the Civil War reparations is when white women on here bring it up

Quoting numbr1wmn:

The problem is it's always we need to pay for the sins of those in the civil war era and they do it more than me attitude. Once that stops problems will decrease.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN