Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

We argue over race while our children are being taught this?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/08/22/pedophilia-incest-and-graphic-sex-excerpts-from-a-common-core-reading-list-book-for-11th-graders-that-will-make-you-blush/

I do not know if any of you are aware of what Common Core is. Its a very subversive 'educational' standard that is being foisted in most states, mainly because it comes with a grant to help the schools that implement it. This is very disturbing that this kind of material is being offered as part of the suggested reading list. Common Core destroys a teachers ability to teach and instead makes everyone the same without any room for adjustment. You thought no child left behind was bad this is worse.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 12:04 AM
Replies (281-288):
impostagothkat
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I have. Do not make the false assumption that I have not viewed and researched the materials. I also know where the money is coming from. That is what bothers me the most, and if anyone actually clicked my link you would have learned that. Not saying specifically you but to the women in general who are debating the issue of common core. I know that no two children are the same, but teaching to the test is not education. Learning is not the passive aceptance of information it is the active seeking for knowlage. CC does not foster this

Quoting BaronSamedi:

Quoting impostagothkat:

http://schoolsucksproject.com/225-live-show-the-road-to-hell-is-paved-with-central-plans/

This is by far one of the most educated websites out there. For anyone who is actually interested in learning something about the world go to schoolsucks. Amazing place for informaiton.

Actually incorrect.  For the last 50 years the "experts" have tried to find a better way to education.  The problems are that no two kids are the same.   The so-called requirement for today's employment are not what will be needed tomorrow.  As I see it the push for high math although it has it's advantages is not nearly as useful in life as knowing the formulas.  We live in an electronic universe and knowing how to get to the answer is more important that the math itself.  Most will never use much of the math but they will use the English. 

I myself never accept anything without researching as the web bring the knowledge to our computer or pad or phone.  There are college classes that can be explored via the web and many for free.   We have the tools to determine what is true and we have the power to research which our older generations did not.  Common Core has a website.  STEM has a website.  These are there for your use.    Go and read for yourself! 

USBrit
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:16 PM
1 mom liked this

too bad....it needs to be rejected nation wide. We need to get back to the basics of academics. Everything else is what parents are for.

Quoting greenie63:

Common Core is not a curriculum, but a set of standards. When I see this I realize people know nothing about Common Core. Pennsylvania hasn't rejected it, but they've put a hold on it. 

http://www.ydr.com/ci_23921103

Quoting momaof8:

okay our states got a small boon from our government in return they signed a note that we would among other things accept common core education or repay the money we got as a state. Common core is one across the board government regulated curriculum. Instead of each state deciding their own curriculum the government would. Thus common core. Many states are rejecting it like PA did this year. It would cost millions to implement. This book list is just a tiny piece of the disaster that is common core.
Quoting streetsmeethere:

ok I live in Canada and I have heard a lot about this particularly about  the bluest eyes. What exactly is common core and why does it have control over what is being taught? I understand that there was a ruling to put it in place but why was common core even an option? 

Tranla
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:48 PM
I don't see the issue wIth the book. It's for 11th graders not kindergarteners. I had to read books like Beloved and The Handmaid's Tale for school way before Common Core.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Sending my kids to private school. :) This will not be happening there!!!

impostagothkat
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Common- belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question: common property; common interests.

Core- the central, innermost, or most essential part of anything.

The very definition fo the two words common and core seek to establish one way of teaching. this is why I say it has no room for teachers to teach. they will all be teaching the same thing COMMON CORE. It teaches to the test and not for life.
AmaraG
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM
It doesn't speak well to her parents characters that they let their 14(?) year old read erotic novels.

Quoting lga1965:

That is so rude and so wrong.

"piss ass parenting" ? That's a crude,disgusting thing to say and doesn't speak well for your character.

As a teen in the 50's, I read many books that you would probably not approve of and it didn't effect my morality at all. I was always an honest, careful and moral person. I didn't have sex until I was 23 and my DH and I got married. I never lied to my parents. I didn't drink until I was 21 , which was at Christmas with my family who thought my first drink should be with them so I would know what alcohol does to you,  in the safety of our home.  My parents raised me well but they didn't control me or censor my life.You just need to have a good foundation of a conscience and sense of right and wrong and self respect . Then you can read all kinds of books ( probably some banned books) when you are young and it won't change your life and your actions at all.

You might be overprotective, controlling and miss the point of real parenting in which you discuss right and wrong and set a good example for them. "Piss ass" ....that is just unacceptable and if your kids hear that, I would call that bad parenting, setting a bad example.

Quoting AmaraG:

Piss ass parenting on your parent's part.
Quoting heresjohnny:

I didn't read the whole article, but it seems the author is upset about the graphic nature of some of the suggested reading material? I'm not bothered by it at all. By the time I was in high school, my favorite author was Anne Rice. Talk about some kinky shit. That woman loved to hug the boundaries of sexuality. Rape, homosexual, pedophilia, etc. I wouldn't be bothered at all if my high school aged kids read that kind of stuff. I did, and I turned out fine.

As to the other stuff you guys are talking about, I'm also not really that worried about. Education doesn't end the second the last bell rings. DH and I already supplement our kid's education at home. The parents who need to worry are the ones who expect 100% of their child's education to come from the school.  

AmaraG
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 1:25 PM
These are all historical stories. Not fiction for the sake of sex.

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting AmaraG:

Quoting lga1965:

that's not even what the bible says.

You don't like that one? How about in II Samuel where Absalom has sex with his father's concubines in front of "all Israel"? Or in Deuternomy when God endorses kidnapping female "enemies," shaving their heads, and raping them? Or when Lot offers up his daughters to be raped by an angry mob, or later when his daughters get him drunk and have sex with him themselves? There's plenty of raping and dismembering of women in Judges. I won't even get started on all the incest.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Well, The Bluest Eye isn't "fiction for the sake of sex," either.

ETA: I don't agree that everything in the Bible is historical (as opposed to allegory), but I understand that some people are Biblical literalists and believe otherwise.

Quoting AmaraG:

These are all historical stories. Not fiction for the sake of sex.

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting AmaraG:

Quoting lga1965:

that's not even what the bible says.

You don't like that one? How about in II Samuel where Absalom has sex with his father's concubines in front of "all Israel"? Or in Deuternomy when God endorses kidnapping female "enemies," shaving their heads, and raping them? Or when Lot offers up his daughters to be raped by an angry mob, or later when his daughters get him drunk and have sex with him themselves? There's plenty of raping and dismembering of women in Judges. I won't even get started on all the incest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)