Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Woman Fights For Topless Equality

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 53 Replies

Worcester, Mass. Woman Fights For Topless Equality

article image

Stacey is a software engineer from Worcester, Mass., who’s been a self-proclaimed nudist for years. About a month ago, she became an activist for a woman’s right to be topless in public. Since then she’s taken her fight to the Internet, and most controversially, the streets of Worcester, where she can be seen driving, biking and walking around fully clothed below the waste, but topless above the belt, save for a pasty on each nipple.

Stacey, who does not wish to be identified by her last name, told The (Springfield, Mass.) Republican she believes topless equality will lead to greater self-confidence and body acceptance for women. She currently serves as the spokeswoman for the commonwealth’s chapter of Topless Equality, and wrote on its website, "Speaking out for Topless Equality is simply a fundamental right that I will shout from every rooftop that I am allowed to.”

According to The Republican:

“[H]er activism takes place through everyday moments, striking up conversation about her campaign when possible. While walking or biking through Worcester, she carries business cards to hand out. The cards read "I Support Topless Equality for Women" with a link to the Mass. chapter of Topless Equality and her twitter handle. The flip side of the card provides a brief definition for the movement.

Recently a young woman came up to her who said she supported her efforts. Upon Stacey agreeing to take a photo with her, the woman took her top off as well and posed for the picture.”

Massachusetts’s crimes against "chastity, morality, decency and good order" defines nudity as, "uncovered or less than opaquely covered human genitals, pubic areas, the human female breast below a point immediately above the top of the areola, or the covered male genitals in a discernibly turgid state. For purposes of this definition, a female breast is considered uncovered if the nipple or areola only are covered." This makes what Stacey is doing illegal,

While Stacey believes women should be allowed to bare their breasts in public, she understands the need for a dress code—as long as it’s equal for men and women.

"A business has a right to set a dress code," she said. "When a restaurant posts a sign that says 'no shirt, no shoes, no service,' I'm fine with that because it's a standard for both men and women."

Sources: The Republican, The Commonwealth of Massachusetts

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LAHnTAH0812
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:38 AM
3 moms liked this
she needs to calm her tits.

heheheh.
momof2girls89
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

I could never walk around topless, but I honestly don't see the issue. Breasts are way over-sexualized anyway. And if this guy can walk around with his shirt off, why can't women lol 

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Quoting momof2girls89:

I could never walk around topless, but I honestly don't see the issue. Breasts are way over-sexualized anyway. And if this guy can walk around with his shirt off, why can't women lol 

I want to puke seeing big, hairy, fat men with giant boobs walking around topless. Why are THEY allowed to go shirt-less? stick out tongue mini

T-HoneyLuv
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:44 AM
7 moms liked this
I support my tits....in a nice pink Victoria's Secret bra, UNDER my shirt. I don't want to see anyone's saggy boobs flapping in the wind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this

Here in NY we can go topless anywhere that men can.  

A majority of the US states women can go topless..

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Equality is good. But it won't change the body image issue. In fact, it may open women up to yet more ridicule and ridiculous standards, even from other women, (especially from other women) and further push the issue of natural not being good enough.
Lullababy
by Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly couldn't care less about breasts. I would never do it. Please keep the bottoms on...... Naked butts on furniture is unsanitary. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Sorry I don't want to be walking down the street and see bare breasts. A woman or man can be as proud of their body as they want, however not everyone wants to see breasts or anything else in all their unclothed glory.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Aug. 24, 2013 at 10:36 AM

It's legal here

parentalrights1
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Good for her
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)