Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Will Soon Decide the Fate of the Pledge of Allegiance

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
  • 104 Replies

The Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Will Soon Decide the Fate of the Pledge of Allegiance

On September 4, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court will hear a case that could change the daily ritual of reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in the state’s public schools.

Here’s the relevant backstory (with additional updates at the bottom):

Back in 2010, the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center and Dave Niose (a lawyer and author of Nonbeliever Nation) filed a lawsuit on behalf of a family whose children attended schools in the Acton-Boxborough School District (in Massachusetts). The issue was that the children — ages 13, 11, and 9 — had to say “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance and that went against their family’s beliefs. (The names of the family members have been kept anonymous, presumably so that they’re not directly harassed by Christians.)

What made this case unique was that Niose wasn’t arguing that the Pledge was unconstitutional because it “established religion” like Michael Newdow argued over a decade ago.

Instead, Niose fought it under the “Equal Protection” part of the Constitution — that is, he argued that the children were being discriminated against:

The Plaintiffs have suffered and continue to suffer actual harm as a direct and proximate result of the Defendants’ actions of conducting a regular classroom Pledge recitation that includes the affirmation that the United States is “under God,” thereby having their religious beliefs publicly rejected, having their patriotism and the patriotism of their religious class brought into question, and being portrayed as outsiders and second-class citizens.

In June of 2012, a judge ruled against the family, saying that this wasn’t really a case of discrimination:

I can only conclude that the insertion of “under God” into the Pledge has not converted it from a political exercise… into a prayer…

Moreover, [the laws don't compel] the [children] to participate; they are free to refrain from speaking any part of the Pledge…

Accordingly, the Pledge is not a religious exercise, and, in that context, the daily recitation of “under God” does not constitute an affirmation of a “religious truth.”

Then… what does it convey?

Anyway, the AHA appealed the judge’s ruling and they got word last October that the state’s Supreme Judicial Court had accepted their case for review. Instead of having the case heard by another lower court, the highest court in the state would tackle the case directly:

“Public schools are defining patriotism and loyalty on a daily basis by exalting one religious group and stigmatizing humanists and other non-theists. Of course that’s discrimination,” said American Humanist Association Executive Director Roy Speckhardt. “We feel confident that a fair hearing will result in a finding that the state law requiring this discriminatory practice violates the state’s equal rights amendment.”

And that brings us to now. The oral arguments will take place in September and you’ll be able to watch the proceedings live.

The Center for Inquiry filed an amicus brief, written by CEO Ron Lindsay, in defense of the Humanist parents and their kids:

In its brief, CFI makes two principal points. First, assuming the Pledge is an important patriotic exercise — as defendants maintain — the students are being denied the opportunity to participate in this important exercise solely because they are unwilling to affirm belief in God. This is not a legitimate reason for their exclusion, just as there is no legitimate reason for excluding persons from testifying or serving as public officials because they are unwilling to affirm belief in God. Second, any justification for requiring students to say this is one nation “under God” must be subject to strict scrutiny given the long history of legal discrimination against atheists in the United States.

CFI also makes this worthwhile point in its brief:

If the purpose of the Pledge is to instill patriotism, this task plainly can be accomplished without requiring students also to affirm belief in a deity. To hold otherwise would be to rule that one must be a monotheist to be a true patriot and participate meaningfully in a patriotic exercise. Such a ruling would be directly contrary to the equal protection guarantees of the Massachusetts Constitution, which provide that one’s standing in the political community is not dependent on one’s religion.

If the Court rules in their favor, it would likely put a stop to daily recitations of the Pledge (without altering the wording of it).

Keep in mind that, because this case is all about a state law that requires mandatory recitation of the Pledge, this is the end of the line. The Supreme Court of the United States won’t get a crack at this. Whatever the justices at the state’s highest court say after September 4 will be the final word.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
codfish
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:52 AM
6 moms liked this
No one forces you or your little snowflakes to recite the pledge. Please feel free to take your ass to Canada if it bothers you so much.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM
14 moms liked this

Quoting codfish:

No one forces you or your little snowflakes to recite the pledge. Please feel free to take your ass to Canada if it bothers you so much.

It's the fact that the Pledge was changed from it's original state to include the words 'under God' which violates the Bill of Rights by endorsing religion. Perhaps if they put it back the correct way, there wouldn't be so many parents/people having an issue with it.

It's also against Federal Law to force anyone to say the Pledge. Students can be forced to stand, but they cannot be forced to recite.

My family has been in the US since 1670 and I'm an American to the core. I refuse to flee to another Country because the religious freaks here only care about themselves and their Rights.

codfish
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:41 AM
2 moms liked this
It has been in the pledge for decades. No one forces you or anyone else to say "Under God". I am not a "religous freak", but I do have enough sense to see the world as it is.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting codfish:

It's the fact that the Pledge was changed from it's original state to include the words 'under God' which violates the Bill of Rights by endorsing religion. Perhaps if they put it back the correct way, there wouldn't be so many parents/people having an issue with it.

It's also against Federal Law to force anyone to say the Pledge. Students can be forced to stand, but they cannot be forced to recite.

My family has been in the US since 1670 and I'm an American to the core. I refuse to flee to another Country because the religious freaks here only care about themselves and their Rights.

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Aug. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
7 moms liked this
Just because it has been there a long time doesn't make it right.

Quoting codfish:

It has been in the pledge for decades. No one forces you or anyone else to say "Under God". I am not a "religous freak", but I do have enough sense to see the world as it is.

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting codfish:

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting codfish:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting codfish:

Your okay with the Rights of some Americans and the Constitution being violated? You believe those who have a problem with it should just sit down, shut the hell up and let it continue?

If everyone in the US was like you, there would still be slaves, women would not be allowed to vote and it would be legal for men to beat their wives. Just because something has 'been around for years' and is tradition, doesn't make it right!

Too bad you can't see how wrong your way of thinking is... and yes, it IS wrong no matter how much you believe it to be right.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Quoting codfish:

One more thing: The Government is supposed to be a representation of ALL Americans, not just those who believe in God. By having that phrase in the Pledge, they are alienating those Americans who are not believers in God- and there are MANY of them. 
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Several state have laws requiring the recitation of the pledge.

Quoting codfish:

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
5 moms liked this

I'd be happy if they'd teach the history of the thing.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
6 moms liked this
Shut up, atheists, you're annoying the Christians.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Several state have laws requiring the recitation of the pledge.

Quoting codfish:

Since 1943, the law has been clear that public school students cannot be forced to recite or otherwise participate in the Pledge of Allegiance against their will. In the case West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, the Supreme Court found that the right to remain silent during the Pledge of Allegiance stems from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)