Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The disrespect count thread - edited to add the final result

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
  • 51 Replies

In another thread, someone wrote:

I would love to see the count of disrespectful, hate mongering atheist posts vs. disrespectful, hate mongering, religious posts

So, for the next week, if you see a post in this forum, where the text in the original post in the thread is disrespectful of a particular viewpoint upon religion, could you reply here with:

(A) The exact full title of the thread in question

(and a link to it, if possible)

(B) the viewpoint or group being treated disrespectfully.  be as specific as possible (eg "catholic", "mormon", "sunni muslim", "secular humanist", "all abrahamic monotheists religions", "all atheists and agnostics")

(C) the viewpoint of the person posting the disrespectful text, if known

At the end of the week, I'll check the links, and announce the total.

EDITED TO ADD:

The hypothesis of the originator was that atheist posters here were more disrespectful towards religious posters here, than the religious posters here were disrespectful towards the atheists posters.

I made a prediction, based upon this hypothesis, that, if the hypothsis were correct, then we'd see more threads posted per week of the former sort than the latter sort.

To test the prediction I carried out an experiement, to count the number of such threads posted in a single week.

We now have the results of the experiment, which are that only one thread was posted during the week that people here thought disrespectful enough to bother to link to from here, and that was a thread posted by a mormon that was being disrespectful of roman catholics.

My analysis of the result is that it isn't particularly strong evidence because, for reasons mentioned earlier in the thread, our sample week might be atypical because of people being aware of the experiment; however there's no grounds to think that atheists are disproportionately more likely than religious people to be put off by that, so we can at least estimate that if there were a strong underlying trend of atheists being more disrespectful, then it is unlikely that that the only disrespectful posts to have been observed were from religious people.

Therefore my conclusion is that the hypothesis is, if not conclusively disproven, then at least it is weighed against and shown to be less likely than it previously was before the experiment was carried out.

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM
2 moms liked this
Thanks for thakin the initiative!
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

This will, of course, be merely subjective opinion, because you have no definitions here.

And how would done categorize the "You suck and should die and lose your kids" kind of posts that are common to this group here, that do not reference religion.  Still disrespectful! 

Too much work and it won't be accurate. 

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Good Luck!

SherryBerry106
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:43 PM
3 moms liked this

sleep

SherryBerry106
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Text, not test.

Okay - this is one for the disrespectful of misspelling category.

Quoting Clairwil:

In another thread, someone wrote:

I would love to see the count of disrespectful, hate mongering atheist posts vs. disrespectful, hate mongering, religious posts

So, for the next week, if you see a post in this forum, where the test in the original post in the thread is disrespectful of a particular viewpoint upon religion, could you reply here with:

(A) The exact full title of the thread in question

(and a link to it, if possible)

(B) the viewpoint or group being treated disrespectfully.  be as specific as possible (eg "catholic", "mormon", "sunni muslim", "secular humanist", "all abrahamic monotheists religions", "all atheists and agnostics")

(C) the viewpoint of the person posting the disrespectful text, if known

At the end of the week, I'll check the links, and announce the total.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Quoting SherryBerry106:

Text, not test.

Okay - this is one for the disrespectful of misspelling category.

Typo corrected.

Since the person asking the question was only interested in atheist vs religious, posts that are disrespectful of other things (such as spelling, politics, whether you breast feed, etc) are off topic here.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

"You suck and should die and lose your kids" kind of posts that are common to this group here,

The only times i see posts like that in this group is when it's done by a troll.

Kazoo22
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

As far as I can tell all the athiest bashing posts are still up, while the christian bashing posts have been deleted. 

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:24 PM

ah, but you're limiting the pool . . . what about the "you miscarried because you're an atheist" post I got years ago? 

someone was going for ALL the points on that one. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

This will, of course, be merely subjective opinion, because you have no definitions here.

And how would done categorize the "You suck and should die and lose your kids" kind of posts that are common to this group here, that do not reference religion.  Still disrespectful! 

Too much work and it won't be accurate. 

Wicked.Jester
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Fuck this stupid idea.

There is your first one, count it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured