Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

59% of the 'Tuna' Americans Eat Is Not Tuna

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM
  • 13 Replies

59% of the 'Tuna' Americans Eat Is Not Tuna

Nonprofit ocean-protection group Oceana genetically tested 1,215 samples from across the United States.
615 tuna1.jpg

Nonprofit ocean protection group Oceana took 1,215 samples of fish from across the United States and genetically tested them in order to bring us the following astonishing facts:

• 59% of the fish labeled "tuna" sold at restaurants and grocery stores in the US is not tuna.
  • Sushi restaurants were far more likely to mislabel their fish than grocery stores or other restaurants.
(Oceana)

• In Chicago, Austin, New York, and Washington DC, every single sushi restaurant sampled sold mislabeled tuna.
  • 84% of fish samples labeled "white tuna" were actually escolar, a fish that can cause prolonged, uncontrollable, oily anal leakage.
  • The only fish more likely to be misrepresented than tuna was snapper, which was mislabeled 87% of the time, and was in actuality any of six different species.

If you've ever wondered why the sushi in the display case is so affordable, given the dire state of the world's tuna supply, well, now you know.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/02/59-of-the-tuna-americans-eat-is-not-tuna/273410/

throwing up

by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristi831
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Good thing I don't eat tuna at all.  Never have; never will. 

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Aug. 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, I wonder if the tuna in stores includes canned tuna or the 'fresh' tuna available thru the butcher dept.

Anal leakage, that's a phrase that is never, ever good.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

At least 59% of the 'food' people eat isn't really food, just processed crap, preservatives, and artificial flavors and colors ;)

The lying in the food industry doesn't surprise me in the least. 

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I am pissed about the sushi restaurant part. I love sushi :(

impostagothkat
by on Aug. 24, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome I have to go research this now. So gross.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Don't eat tuna myself. Now my kids won't be eating it anymore. YUCK!

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM

stick out tongue mini

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Eh, I hate canned fish, and have grown up around fishermen, fishmongers and seafood enough to tell when raw tuna is truly tuna... It must not be regular sushi eaters that are mistakenly eating non-tuna.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Ack, this came from a link in the article on the study:
"NOTE: Oceana did not test any canned tuna samples and all samples labeled as “white tuna” were purchased at restaurants or sushi venues."

Quoting Friday:

Wow, I wonder if the tuna in stores includes canned tune or the 'fresh' tuna available thru the butcher dept.

Anal leakage, that's a phrase that is never, ever good.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 24, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Yikes: "NOTE: Oceana did not test any canned tuna samples and all samples labeled as “white tuna” were purchased at restaurants or sushi venues."

So now I'm really curious how similar escolar is to tuna :-\

Quoting stringtheory:

Eh, I hate canned fish, and have grown up around fishermen, fishmongers and seafood enough to tell when raw tuna is truly tuna... It must not be regular sushi eaters that are mistakenly eating non-tuna.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN