Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Blacks asked to leave restaurant because white customers feel uncomfortable

Posted by   + Show Post
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 4:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

The same thing happened with trayvon Martians parents they didnt go to the media it came to them.

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting SentRegards:

My Filipino mom wasn't served and asked to leave at a white restaurant and we didn't go complaining to the news and she wasn't disturbing or threatening anyone, just has a white boyfriend

they didnt either.  They tried contacting the company and no reply.  He vented on his facebook and the sharing and reposting was noticed and picked up by a journalist.  It rolled from there.

Not everyone runs to the media for their 15mins of fame....sometimes the injustice of a single act can make headlines around the world.  Such is our social networking system.

Kristi831
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

And some don't.

Quoting SentRegards:

Some people find it more embarrassing than helpful to go on a public display after being racially discriminated

Quoting Kristi831:

He should complain on his social media site about how he was treated.  Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean people should take that kind of treatment in silence.

Quoting SentRegards:

He still complained on his social media site, mine as well be the news.. I didn't say he did it for fame... its more of it happens all the time

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting SentRegards:

My Filipino mom wasn't served and asked to leave at a white restaurant and we didn't go complaining to the news and she wasn't disturbing or threatening anyone, just has a white boyfriend

they didnt either.  They tried contacting the company and no reply.  He vented on his facebook and the sharing and reposting was noticed and picked up by a journalist.  It rolled from there.

Not everyone runs to the media for their 15mins of fame....sometimes the injustice of a single act can make headlines around the world.  Such is our social networking system.

lga1965
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM
3 moms liked this

They're still living in the 1950's in most of South Carolina. I lived there-I worked there , at a big company located in a small town.I saw racism and segregation. It was shameful.

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband is Filipino. I showed him this thread (your posts) and he rolled his eyes. He also shook his head and muttered "god..."

Quoting SentRegards:

Omg stop being such a drama queen

Quoting turtle68:

really ...facebook is now a news station...really?

"complaining to the news" (your words) and venting on your facebook page is completely different.

Quoting SentRegards:

He still complained on his social media site, mine as well be the news.. I didn't say he did it for fame... its more of it happens all the time

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting SentRegards:

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I know what you're really thinking. Here's a thought, though- you don't understand the difference in how various groups of minorities are viewed. Familiarize yourself with the term "model minority" and get back to us.

Quoting SentRegards:

Some people find it more embarrassing than helpful to go on a public display after being racially discriminated

Quoting Kristi831:

He should complain on his social media site about how he was treated.  Just because it happens all the time doesn't make it right, and doesn't mean people should take that kind of treatment in silence.

Quoting SentRegards:

Quoting turtle68:

Quoting SentRegards:

TattedReader
by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this
sheesh....I call bullshit and I think there's more to the story, so shoot me.
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Had to drive through there on my way to Atlanta. And my advice is unless you are a redneck I suggest you don't stop in north or South Carolina at night, it's horrible.

Quoting lga1965:

They're still living in the 1950's in most of South Carolina. I lived there-I worked there , at a big company located in a small town.I saw racism and segregation. It was shameful.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:20 AM
5 moms liked this

I have only been south a few times in my life.  It is very different and I wouldn't want to live there.  

I live in Philadlephia but went on a camping trip not too far away. The Lancaster area.  There is a restaurant that is family style.  You literally sit with other families at a table and you are served Amish style food. It is delicious and we go there every year.  Well, this is a very, very white area.  A church group of about 40 or so black people came into the restaurnt.  You could see people just staring at them.  I was chuckling. They looked like idiots.  These church people were very well dressed, nice and pleasant.  For that large of a group, they were not noisy or disruptive in the least. Well, this redneck sitting at the end of the table we were at saud, "Glad our table is full"...I didn't hear it but my oldest did.  She turned around and said "Why?"...I think he was taken aback at her tone and question which wasn't fresh but shocked.  He said "Nothing..umm..nevermind". The coward didn't want to explain his comment. There were no problems but you can tell some white people were very uncomfortable.  I highly doubt these were the first people of color they have ever seen but by the way some were acting was ridiculous.  They looked so foolish.

Quoting Citygirlk:

Had to drive through there on my way to Atlanta. And my advice is unless you are a redneck I suggest you don't stop in north or South Carolina at night, it's horrible.

Quoting lga1965:

jllcali
by Jane on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:45 AM
2 moms liked this
Just because your mom didn't do anything when she was treated like shit doesn't mean everyone else should just shut up and deal with it. Talking about it on social media is non violent, legal and has the potential to spur change.

Quoting SentRegards:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

The manager seems like the one with the problem (as well as the patron)

If all said is true, the manager should be fired.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)