Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says

Posted by   + Show Post

More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says

article image

About 36 percent of the American public believes that if they try hard enough, gay people can turn straight, according to data from the Pew Research Center released on Tuesday.

The research reflects polling conducted in 2012, and as shocking as the numbers seem, the nation has actually eased in this belief as LGBT tolerance has grown. Six years ago, 39 percent of the population claimed that gays could change their orientation — in 2003, an equal number of people believed that gays could and could not switch to the straight side.

Perhaps even more telling, just 51 percent of the country believes that homosexuals cannot change their preferences, meaning that nearly half the population thinks there is at least a slight chance that sexuality is reprogrammable.

These numbers reflect the vast amount of misinformation that has long plagued the homosexual community, even as so-called “conversion therapy” has been proven effective time and time again.

As far back as 1998, the American Psychological Association (APA) came out against attempting to convert gay people, claiming that societal judgment and pressure, not homosexuality, was the true threat to the LBGT community.

The report read “The potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient.”

In 2009, an APA analysis of current research revealed that little evidence exists to support conversion therapy, despite unfounded promises made by religious groups who condemn homosexuals.

The latest report stated "These studies show that enduring change to an individual's sexual orientation is uncommon," and cited treatment side effects like "loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality and anxiety.”

Gay conversion has grown so unpopular that states are now lining up to bar the practice. California led the way, and just Monday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed a measure to ban it from his state. Washington may be next, as State Rep. Marko Liias is pushing for a similar bill.

Sources: Huffington Post, PewResearch, Politico, KOMO News

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:05 AM
3 moms liked this

I believe it is a choice, and yes, you can make a choice not to be gay if you do not want to be. 

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:18 AM
Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I believe it is a choice, and yes, you can make a choice not to be gay if you do not want to be. 

No you can't.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting LaBuenaVida:

you can make a choice not to be gay if you do not want to be. 

I assume you are currently heterosexual?

How exactly would you go about choosing to be homosexual?

Just having sex with a woman wouldn't make you homosexual, or even bisexual.  You'd need to cease being sexually attracted to men, and start being attracted to women, to the point where you could actually see yourself falling in love with a women, marrying her and sharing her bed for the rest of your life.

How on earth would you go about altering your fundamental instincts that drastically?  Electroshock therapy?

mamav2215
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Well that's sad, although better than where it was when I was a child. 

I wonder if that same 1/3 can be cured of their ignorance. 

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

How so?  Even the leaders of the "gay conversion" therapy organizations are starting to come forward and say it's not possible.  I guess you can live a lie if you want to and force yourself to be something you're not, but that doesn't mean it's a choice. 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

mamav2215
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:48 AM

you can choose to have sex with the same sex, you can not choose to be attracted/fall in love with them. 

So their only choice is whether or not they want to be able to live a happy life just like you get to. 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

mamav2215
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 10:39 AM
6 moms liked this

dawnie1
by #1 Raider fan on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM

That really shocks me.

Kristi831
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I don't think most people choose to be gay.  I think some choose it after bad experiences or something of the like.  But, of all ways to "rebel" against societal "norms," why would one choose a way that would bring ridicule from so many?  

lga1965
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM
Oh boy.
.....sigh.......

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN