Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says

Posted by   + Show Post

More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says

article image

About 36 percent of the American public believes that if they try hard enough, gay people can turn straight, according to data from the Pew Research Center released on Tuesday.

The research reflects polling conducted in 2012, and as shocking as the numbers seem, the nation has actually eased in this belief as LGBT tolerance has grown. Six years ago, 39 percent of the population claimed that gays could change their orientation — in 2003, an equal number of people believed that gays could and could not switch to the straight side.

Perhaps even more telling, just 51 percent of the country believes that homosexuals cannot change their preferences, meaning that nearly half the population thinks there is at least a slight chance that sexuality is reprogrammable.

These numbers reflect the vast amount of misinformation that has long plagued the homosexual community, even as so-called “conversion therapy” has been proven effective time and time again.

As far back as 1998, the American Psychological Association (APA) came out against attempting to convert gay people, claiming that societal judgment and pressure, not homosexuality, was the true threat to the LBGT community.

The report read “The potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient.”

In 2009, an APA analysis of current research revealed that little evidence exists to support conversion therapy, despite unfounded promises made by religious groups who condemn homosexuals.

The latest report stated "These studies show that enduring change to an individual's sexual orientation is uncommon," and cited treatment side effects like "loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality and anxiety.”

Gay conversion has grown so unpopular that states are now lining up to bar the practice. California led the way, and just Monday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed a measure to ban it from his state. Washington may be next, as State Rep. Marko Liias is pushing for a similar bill.

Sources: Huffington Post, PewResearch, Politico, KOMO News

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Replies (31-40):
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

It is saying their sexuality is a natural occurrence because we are not the only species that does it.

Quoting billsfan1104:

You are still comparing gays to animals.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting impostagothkat:

I feel bad for
the lgbt community. Being gay has been around since time began and
animals have also been shown to be gay. Uhh I am at a loss for words
with issues like this
Why do you compare Gays to animals???? Gays are
not animals and should not be compared to them. Guess what, animals
lick their assholes and humans do not(at least 99% of them). So stop
comparing them to animals. 

She didn't say gays are like animals.

She said there are gay animals.

For example, giraffes:

Male giraffes have been observed to engage in remarkably high frequencies of
homosexual behavior. After aggressive "necking", it is common for two
male giraffes to caress and court each other, leading up to mounting and
climax. Such interactions between males have been found to be more
frequent than heterosexual coupling. In one study, up to 94% of observed mounting incidents took place
between two males. The proportion of same sex activities varied between
30 and 75%, and at any given time one in twenty males were engaged in
non-combative necking behavior with another male.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a class in college which covered "being gay". It brushed up on some women may chose to be gay after a negative experience with a man, for example, because of rape or domestic violence because women are more emotional and associate certain life experiences with intimacy. However the class mostly covered the inherent biological response to sexual attraction. Sure some people may be able to deny their natural attraction but really, why should they? Because the Bible says so? I refuse to believe in a God who makes someone "wrong" just to test his/her dedication to The Lord.  The God I believe in judges people on their whole selves not just on the gender they have intercourse with.

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I believe it is a choice, and yes, you can make a choice not to be gay if you do not want to be. 

Aestas
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That seems like a shockingly high percentage to me.

Apparently I continue to have more faith in humanity than is actually warranted.

Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:03 PM

That's because more than one third of Americans are addle brained.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Sily 36%   I would love to know what group they polled?  Bet is was older Americans.

BJWolfe
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM

So sad that some people just don't get it.  It's not a choice, it's not a lifestyle, it's LIFE.  Some people are just born that way and there is nothing wrong with them.  God doesn't make mistakes and gay people are born just as perfect as heterosexuals.  

Mom of 2, blogger (www.bjwolfe.com), writer, lover of food and cooking.
blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Nothing is impossible for God....

momma2owen
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:39 PM

I agree....But I am pretty sure my mom has prayed for me NOT to be gay and here I am, still gay.  Why would anyone choose to be gay? It is a very hard road.  Most gay people I know wish theyd been born straight.  But, it is what it is.

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Nothing is impossible for God....

blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Kristi831:

I don't think most people choose to be gay.  I think some choose it after bad experiences or something of the like.  But, of all ways to "rebel" against societal "norms," why would one choose a way that would bring ridicule from so many?  

Some choose the gay lifestyle, others do not. Free will & temptation invites immorality if the person surrenders to impure thoughts & an attraction for the same sex. Social issues & environment can lead to homosexuality. Generational sins cause bondage, a person feeling trapped into a particular lifestyle. There are many reasons why a person is gay. Nothing is impossible for God. He desires to heal sin but he can only work with the person according to free will~

blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 5:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Aestas:

That seems like a shockingly high percentage to me.

Apparently I continue to have more faith in humanity than is actually warranted.

My faith is in God who knows all. Homosexual acts are forbidden by God. He never created anyone to desire the same sex~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN