Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says

Posted by   + Show Post

More than One-Third of Americans Think Gays Can Be "Cured," Study Says

article image

About 36 percent of the American public believes that if they try hard enough, gay people can turn straight, according to data from the Pew Research Center released on Tuesday.

The research reflects polling conducted in 2012, and as shocking as the numbers seem, the nation has actually eased in this belief as LGBT tolerance has grown. Six years ago, 39 percent of the population claimed that gays could change their orientation — in 2003, an equal number of people believed that gays could and could not switch to the straight side.

Perhaps even more telling, just 51 percent of the country believes that homosexuals cannot change their preferences, meaning that nearly half the population thinks there is at least a slight chance that sexuality is reprogrammable.

These numbers reflect the vast amount of misinformation that has long plagued the homosexual community, even as so-called “conversion therapy” has been proven effective time and time again.

As far back as 1998, the American Psychological Association (APA) came out against attempting to convert gay people, claiming that societal judgment and pressure, not homosexuality, was the true threat to the LBGT community.

The report read “The potential risks of reparative therapy are great, including depression, anxiety and self-destructive behavior, since therapist alignment with societal prejudices against homosexuality may reinforce self-hatred already experienced by the patient.”

In 2009, an APA analysis of current research revealed that little evidence exists to support conversion therapy, despite unfounded promises made by religious groups who condemn homosexuals.

The latest report stated "These studies show that enduring change to an individual's sexual orientation is uncommon," and cited treatment side effects like "loss of sexual feeling, depression, suicidality and anxiety.”

Gay conversion has grown so unpopular that states are now lining up to bar the practice. California led the way, and just Monday, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signed a measure to ban it from his state. Washington may be next, as State Rep. Marko Liias is pushing for a similar bill.

Sources: Huffington Post, PewResearch, Politico, KOMO News

by on Aug. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Replies (311-315):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I'll reply to anything I please, thanks. 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting autodidact:

goddidit

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting Momniscient:

What was the process of you choosing to be heterosexual? I'm assuming you are heterosexual.

How did you choose?

When did you choose?

Do you regret your choice?

Do you think you can be cured?

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I believe it is a choice, and yes, you can make a choice not to be gay if you do not want to be. 

God created one man and one woman.  God calls homosexuality a sin.  I choose to believe God. 

Very simple.  It's a choice. 

Alright.  You've called me back into this post 6 times in a row for your juvenile nonsense.  Please don't keep this up----you are wasting my time. 

Someone needs a life outside of cafemom.  ;-)

momto3B
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Live the moral teaching of Jesus in your own life and stop trying to influence the lives of other's. I am an atheist. I would as much believe in a  "christ figure" as I would in the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny. That said, I would not say that YOU should not believe or that you should be CURED of such fantasy or, that your belief should deny you your CIVIL RIGHTS. 

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Christians who embrace the Bible will not compromise the moral teachings of Jesus. Everyone has free will to sin or reject temptation. The fall of many Nations is due to immorality & sin. 

Quoting momto3B:

Gay people have been denied the right to civil marriage BECAUSE other's, such as yourself , believe it is both a choice and a sin. 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting momto3B:

For many of the folks that believe as you do, it is not "fine".  They are more often then not the people who would deny basic civil rights to gay people because they believe that the "sin" of others is something they should have a say in. 

Murders, rapists, child abusers, wife beaters, serial killers. None can be denied the right to marry and oddly, few would stand up to deny them such rights - as long as they are heterosexual.  

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting momto3B:

Believing in god is actually a choice and I choose not to. Posts like yours just reinforce my belief that the existence of  a god, as folks like you define it, him, her  is choice I would never make. 

It would feel very much like a "sin" to defy common logic, science and basic humanity to deny people their right to love whom they choose, based on what is innately biological. 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting momto3B:

Did you make a "choice" to be straight? 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

I believe it is a choice, and yes, you can make a choice not to be gay if you do not want to be. 

I made a choice to accept and serve God.  God's word does not accept homosexuality.  THAT was MY choice. 

It doesn't matter what you are attracted to, or who you are attracted to.  When you choose to follow Christ you obey the laws of God. 

I get so sick of hearing that worldly liberal argument.  "Did you choose to be straight?"  It's nonsense.  Sin is sin. 

Either you choose to follow God or you choose to do what you want.  But the wages of sin is death.  I choose life.  Etermal life with the Heavenly Father I chose to serve. 

That's fine.  Whatever works for you. 

We are talking about whether or not homosexuality is a choice, or a sin, not gay marriage. 

blondekosmic15
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Not wasting my time watching this....

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Yes, you have mocked my faith many times, Pam with your subtle insults & name calling. You've belittled me when I talk about the importance of prayer.  . . . . . . . 

LaBuenaVida
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:06 AM

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting autodidact:

goddidit

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting Momniscient:

What was the process of you choosing to be heterosexual? I'm assuming you are heterosexual.

How did you choose?

When did you choose?

Do you regret your choice?

Do you think you can be cured?

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

God created one man and one woman.  God calls homosexuality a sin.  I choose to believe God. 

Very simple.  It's a choice. 

Alright.  You've called me back into this post 6 times in a row for your juvenile nonsense.  Please don't keep this up----you are wasting my time. 

Someone needs a life outside of cafemom.  ;-)

lol, you sound like a snotty little teenager. 

Did you stick out your tongue at me too?   That would have made your comment extra effective.  ;-)

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 4:19 AM

wrong, I'm a snarky aging smartass. 

Quoting LaBuenaVida:

Quoting autodidact:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)