Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

8-Year-Old Boy Watches Violent Video Game & Kills Elderly Relative

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM
  • 55 Replies

8-Year-Old Boy Watches Violent Video Game & Kills Elderly Relative

by Kiri Blakeley

An 8-year-old boy reportedly killed his 90-year-old relative, who was taking care of him in her Louisiana home. The boy had apparently been watching the violent video game Grand Theft Auto, and then picked up a gun and shot his caregiver, Marie Smothers, in the back of the head as she watched television. The boy, because of his age, is not being charged. This is a tragedy -- but it also sounds like a recipe for disaster. At that age, kids will mimic what they see. How many times have you seen a kid want to do what they see on TV, or in movies, or in a book. Combine a violent videogame with a gun, and who knows what will happen. In this case, a killing happened.

Police believe that the child did it intentionally. I have no doubt he did not understand the gravity of his actions. At eight, a kid doesn't understand death, the permanence of it. He was probably just reenacting what he saw on the video.

Perhaps video games don't cause violence. But if you put enough stuff into a kid's head, that's the actions that come out. Tell a kid he's stupid enough times, he thinks he's stupid. Tell him he can fly, and he'll probably start flapping his arms and trying to "fly" around the room. Why would a videogame be any different?

Obviously, a loaded gun and a child who can access it are not a safe combination. I feel for the child, who will one day understand what he did. Who will one day be able to grasp that he killed someone he cared about. Reportedly, the child will be given counseling.

The boy apparently came from a "stable" family and was living with his relative to enroll in a school nearby. Said a detective:

From accounts of relatives of the victim, as well as friends of the family, the victim and the juvenile had a normal, loving, relationship and even shared the same bedroom.

Say what you will about video games, but the police have no doubt it played a role in the homicide. Said the detective:

Although a motive for the shooting is unknown at this time investigators have learned that the juvenile suspect was playing a video game on the Play Station III Grand Theft Auto IV, a realistic game that has been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people, just minutes before the homicide occurred.

It's unclear if the boy's parents knew that the relative had a gun in her home, or where she kept it. But he is now in the custody of his parents.

Yet another gun killing involving a child. I don't know when people will learn that guns and kids don't mix. Add in a violent video game and tragedy isn't far away.

Do you think the videogame had anything to do with what happened?

Click here for video

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsLadyDae
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Children at this age mimic what they see. "Church Kids" see people shouting and praising God through out the week so they play "church" at home with other "Church kids". It's just a fact of life.

This child saw something he though was intresting and decided to try it for himself. Unfortunatly, he was able to access a loaded gun.

The parents/gaurdians should have been more careful about the types of images they push in to their child's head. More importantly! How was this 8 year old boy able to access a loaded gun??? Thats the million dollar question!

THis child is not at fault here. He was being a child.. All the adults are at fault IMO. The video game is not meant for 8 year old kids. There are ratings on these games. Children can't buy them from Game Stop or Walmart. Only adults can! Adults need to be more responsible and act like parents instead of friends.

alc4evermom
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I read this on Drudge yesterday.  Why did he have access to the game, and then a loaded gun?  The media needs to choose better angles for their gun control nazi propaganda.  

lga1965
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this
There is something very wrong here. First.....why was the kid living with his grandma/caregiver, and why did she have a gun when she was clearly unable to manage it and prevent a tragedy like this ? Disgusting. Guns
are causing more problems than criminals.....gun owners seem to be
incapable of practicing gun safety. It's a crazy society. The "need" for
guns shows a kind of deep
sickness and fear.
This 8 year old must be mentally disabled. He needs to be hospitalized....and checked out . His parents are suspicious.....they could have just passed the kid off to his grandma ..... Or CPS took him away from them. Anyway, this whole thing is extremely bizarre.
Horrible .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I just don't believe the violent games made them do it logic. Maybe a five year old but at eight nope. I think there is more to. Also why wouldn't the grand parents put the gun out of reach that was screwed up on the grand parents part
Aamy
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:21 AM
3 moms liked this

Dotn blame a game for a child's mental state and his access to a loaded gun. Blame his care givers for that. 

lilblu399
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:26 AM
6 moms liked this
Why was a loaded gun in reach of a child? Please stop using video games
as a scapegoat for irresponsible gun owners and irresponsible parenting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JazzyMommyx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Theres a few things here, first I think its idiotic that parents buy games that are rated "M" for thier young children (and then most complain.about it) Second I have an eight yr old and that is not something she would do nor my 6 or 5yr old and they see me play COD AND know where the guns are (unloaded and locked but still they've never even attempted to play with them)
I do.believ this boy has deeper mental issues that helped him go to this action combined with a game he shouldn't have been playing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
guns don't kill people, children kill people
T-HoneyLuv
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:17 AM
1 mom liked this
How are video game images any worse than the nightly news? Images of dead children and adults in Syria and other war torn countries? Video games do not cause someone to kill. A disturbed mind and access to a loaded gun do.

Quoting JazzyMommyx3:

Theres a few things here, first I think its idiotic that parents buy games that are rated "M" for thier young children (and then most complain.about it) Second I have an eight yr old and that is not something she would do nor my 6 or 5yr old and they see me play COD AND know where the guns are (unloaded and locked but still they've never even attempted to play with them)

I do.believ this boy has deeper mental issues that helped him go to this action combined with a game he shouldn't have been playing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM
6 moms liked this

Yes, video games are to blame. Clearly the video game GAVE the boy the gun. Clearly the video game made him unsupervised long enough to kill his caregiver.

Criminal Minds comes on TV at noon. I will let my 2 year old watch it and see if she magically turns into a serial killer. I'll let you guys know the results at 1 pm.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN