Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Naked Church Camp Counselor Touches Boy With Penis; Church Deems It “Horseplay”

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
  • 48 Replies

Zachery_Anderle

While I do admit it has been some time since I have played the role of camp counselor (at church camp or otherwise) unless I am horribly mistaken, touching a child with your penis is not one of the recommended “horseplay” activities. Nor for that matter, is it a recommended disciplinary action, although Attorney Allen Trapp, who is representing a church camp counselor and pastor’s son, Zachary Anderle, has stated that he believes it is. I could look back to the trainer’s manuals just to be sure, but in all honesty, I think I am safe here.

The Chattanooga Times Freepress reported that Vineyard Community Church Camp Counselor, Zachary Anderle, was charged with simple battery, two counts of third-degree cruelty to children and sexual assault, following an incident in which he climbed, naked, on top of a 13-year-old boy. Anderle placed his penis on top of the boy’s crotch, while a group of other boys were watching. He also slapped the boy in the face. Vineyard Community Church is located in Chattanooga, TN. The incident between Anderle and the boy took place at the Church’s Camp site, which it was hosting in Temple, GA.

Continue Reading: http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/08/24/naked-church-camp-counselor-touches-13-year-old-boy-with-penis-church-calls-it-horseplay/#ixzz2d46tOy9U

A 21-year-old pastor's son won't be allowed to work with children or hold a leadership position at the Vineyard Community Church in Chattanooga after being charged with simple battery, two counts of third-degree cruelty to children and sexual assault in connection with an incident at a church camp.

The church, which holds services at Tyner Middle Academy, 6837 Tyner Road, hosted a church camp in Temple, Ga., last month and Zachary Anderle served as a camp counselor.

Affidavits in Carroll County, Ga., allege that Anderle climbed on top of a 13-year-old camper and placed his penis on top of the boy's crotch while other boys were watching. Anderle also slapped the child's face, the report states.

The Times Free Press does not name victims of sex crimes.

"Zachary will not be allowed back at any future camp events, as a counselor or otherwise. Also, the church has removed Zachary from the church's band rotation," said Bud Winderweedle, a member of the investigative committee the church organized to look into the incident. He responded to emailed questions submitted by the Times Free Press.

The committee hasn't reached a conclusion but believes "this was a case of horseplay gone wrong, which we deeply regret," he said.

Anderle's attorney, Allen Trapp, said the complaint surfaced after the boys told their parents what had happened.

If convicted, Anderle will be placed on the sex offender list.

Trapp said the incident started after Anderle tried to silence the 13-year-old, who was reportedly bullying another child.

"This boy was using a lot of unsavory, sexually charged language. Zach told him to stop repeatedly. When he wouldn't, Zach told him, 'If you do not stop, I will come down there and sleep with you naked,'" Trapp said. "And he actually jumped on him and all the other boys laughed and thought it was funny."

A magistrate found there was no probable cause for a child molestation charge. The remaining charges will be presented to a grand jury, possibly in October.

Winderweedle said the camp director attempted to apologize to the 13-year-old's mother and offer counseling, but she did not respond.

"We would love to talk to her if she wishes, but we also want to fully respect her right to avoid speaking with us if that is her wish,' he said in the email.

"The family at issue was not a part of the church, which makes our regret and embarrassment over this incident even greater," he said. "The families within the church all viewed the incident as horseplay -- horseplay which we condemn -- and, to our knowledge, none have withdrawn from the church. We nevertheless remain heartbroken over the entire incident."

by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
finnbar
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM
O.O

That man sounds like a disturbed pedophile. Things like this make me leery of ever sending my son to camp, church or otherwise
Aestas
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM
1 mom liked this

"Horseplay gone wrong"? Holy apologism.

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Ahhhh, No..............

Way out of line and not acceptable. 

STVUstudent
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Well, he was the pastor's son... guess that gives him a free pass to do whatever he wants... if you read the article, the pastor offored the family "counseling"... I sure hope he means by someone not affiliated in any way with his church!  If th ecamper was disruptive and being inapropriate, he should have been sent home, not sexually assaulted by a counselor/pastor's kid... horseplay my ass...

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

very unacceptable

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:34 PM

This is horrible. Church or not it happens all over the place.  Sick

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM
That is just wrong.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM
2 moms liked this

What that man did was inappropriate, to say the least.  There are many other ways to handle an out of control, foul mouthed kid.  Being naked around the kids, for any reason, is unacceptable.  Telling the kid he would sleep with him naked, inappropriate.  Jumping on the kid, over the line and then some.

I am disgusted by his actions but not surprised.

Not much surprises me any more.

The families of this church considering this horseplay............blinders make people fools.  

I'm not seeing that the asshat who did this is a child molester but he is most certainly a misguided young man in his thinking and in his actions.  If he ends up on the sex offenders list he damn well put himself there.

lga1965
by on Aug. 26, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Oh ny goodness. Sick !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
activitymode
by Member on Aug. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
the members of that church need to wake up. I'm sure they would have felt differently if that was their son.

I just want to know why were they naked? its so unnecessary and creepy. He deserves whatever kind of sentencing he gets not only for being a pervert but being an idiot as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN