Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A sexologist's two cents on, yea, Miley Cyrus (a more feminist perspective)

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM
  • 127 Replies
1 mom liked this

I see her point below. I was thinking the same thing -- What about the guy's, errr, compliance, with this? People are acting like MC is victimizing the poor guy, who just wants to sing!

I'm also thinking about MC's manager and the people who put the whole awards show together. It's not like wicked, wicked MC came out and did this without anyone else's input. In fact, I bet she is not even the one who came up with this dumb ass idea.

Still, she put her face -- or ass -- on it, so she justifiably gets the brunt of the criticism.

I think feminists have difficulty with this because it is clearly a woman objectifying herself (some say) while others say, well, damn, she is just expressing her sexuality...why aren't "girls" allowed to do that?

What do you think?

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59399069155/a-sexologists-two-cents-on-the-2013-mtv-vmas

Dear Society,

If you think a woman in a tan vinyl bra and underwear, grabbing her crotch and grinding up on a dance partner is raunchy, trashy, and offensive but you don’t think her dance partner is raunchy, trashy, or offensive as he sings a song about “blurred” lines of consent and propagating rape culture, then you may want to reevaluate your acceptance of double standards and your belief in stereotypes about how men vs. women “should” and are “allowed” to behave.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I dont get it either.  as much as I love the tune of blurred lines...the words and the video make me want to vomit.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:47 AM
22 moms liked this

If women want to be thought of as more than just a sex object, then they should not go out on stage acting like they are nothing more than a sex object.

fivegirls333
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM
3 moms liked this

i don't think anyone would disagree.  however, i did not get a chance to even listen or watch anyone else because it was like a drunk hooker with a dildo who jumped on stage and was freaking out!  even the guy singing was trying to keep his composure...and not because he thought it was sexy...

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:01 AM

Rock music is supposed to be offensive. I don't know what kind of music that was, but it must follow the same rules.

It is all fun to listen to (well not her stuff persay) but I have lived an edgy life and couldn't be happier to be as far as can be from it all. 

ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:11 AM
1 mom liked this
THANK YOU!!! I really don't understand the hate on Miley especially when no one says anything about the men involved.
prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 7:41 AM
3 moms liked this

I must have missed the part where she was being forced to rub her butt up against his crotch.

usndolphin
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

omg it is mtv/mva  did everyone expect a clean cut show?  i remember when madonna's like a virgin came out. holy cow. let face it what she did was no different then what you see on most videos.  hmm she wanted to get stuff buzzing  and she did. and everyone is talking about her which will increase her sales on her next album.  and yes stuff is rehearsed  dont think the guy was surprised.  i always say, yes your tv has and off button or change channel. dont like her music  dont buy it lol  remember at  one time parents were freaking out when elvis thrusted is pelvis on tv. 

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Yeah, im just not getting the outrage. This is the vmas, where people tend to show up basically naked (remember lil kim or rose mcgowan?). It wasn't my cup of tea, but that's why I didn't watch the show.
KGreen75
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I don't get what was so shocking about any of it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PamR
by Pam on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM
8 moms liked this

Not a fan of the Robin Thicke song at all.

What I saw was Miley Cyrus, who was a child star and is now an adult, trying very hard to make people notice that she is no longer a child.  The way she went (and goes) about it, however, really suggests an immature young woman who is trying to shock rather than display her talents as an adult.  If she's trying to follow in the Madonna/Lady Gaga tradition, she's not doing too well.  They had talent to back up the shock value of their persformances, but she doesn't seem to have the goods.  At least, not what I saw. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)