Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A sexologist's two cents on, yea, Miley Cyrus (a more feminist perspective)

Posted by   + Show Post

I see her point below. I was thinking the same thing -- What about the guy's, errr, compliance, with this? People are acting like MC is victimizing the poor guy, who just wants to sing!

I'm also thinking about MC's manager and the people who put the whole awards show together. It's not like wicked, wicked MC came out and did this without anyone else's input. In fact, I bet she is not even the one who came up with this dumb ass idea.

Still, she put her face -- or ass -- on it, so she justifiably gets the brunt of the criticism.

I think feminists have difficulty with this because it is clearly a woman objectifying herself (some say) while others say, well, damn, she is just expressing her sexuality...why aren't "girls" allowed to do that?

What do you think?

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59399069155/a-sexologists-two-cents-on-the-2013-mtv-vmas

Dear Society,

If you think a woman in a tan vinyl bra and underwear, grabbing her crotch and grinding up on a dance partner is raunchy, trashy, and offensive but you don’t think her dance partner is raunchy, trashy, or offensive as he sings a song about “blurred” lines of consent and propagating rape culture, then you may want to reevaluate your acceptance of double standards and your belief in stereotypes about how men vs. women “should” and are “allowed” to behave.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Replies (11-20):
prommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 8:38 AM

To me the larger issue is that there are a lot of girls who see MC as someone who "made it" and her value as a role model for these girls is mind boggling. It's like in the not to distant past when there was a national attempt to make young girls stop identifying with models who were nearly anorexic in appearance because they weren't promoting a positive self image for "normal" girls. The argument that parents shouldn't let their kids watch the TV show if they don't like it doesn't hold water either, every news channel on TV had images of her performance yesterday and you can be sure she'll be on the cover of some magazines so kids are going to see her in all her glory no matter what.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Give millenial girls some credit. Not too many watched that and thought, "Now that Miley's done it; I can now openly degrade myself!" Dear God ladies, do you think people having been raising girls in a Hannah Montana bubble?

I found the whole thing offensive for it's sheer lack of talent.

*shudder*

Has anyone confirmed whether or not Miley's gotten her tongue snipped a la Gene Simmons?

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I get what you are saying, but on the other side, is that really her responsibility?  Doesn't she get a choice in whether or not she has to serve as a role model?

That said, regarding her performance (see how kind I am?  I'm calling it a performance, haha), I'm not really shocked by it.  Just a little weirded out.  The whole thing was just... weird.

The spastic dancing, the tongue hanging out, and that voice.  My God, that horrible helium chipmunk voice.  What might have sounded cute on a teenager in a Disney show does not transfer well to a 20 year old woman.  

My prediction:  She's 20 now, and she's made no secret of what she's been up to.  At 21, when she can legally drink and be photographed drunk with no legal issues, expect to see her go absolutely wild.

Quoting prommy:

To me the larger issue is that there are a lot of girls who see MC as someone who "made it" and her value as a role model for these girls is mind boggling. It's like in the not to distant past when there was a national attempt to make young girls stop identifying with models who were nearly anorexic in appearance because they weren't promoting a positive self image for "normal" girls. The argument that parents shouldn't let their kids watch the TV show if they don't like it doesn't hold water either, every news channel on TV had images of her performance yesterday and you can be sure she'll be on the cover of some magazines so kids are going to see her in all her glory no matter what.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I googled the lyrics.

I wish I hadn't. Oh my God, how revolting.

Quoting turtle68:

I dont get it either.  as much as I love the tune of blurred lines...the words and the video make me want to vomit.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:22 AM
I have to say I agree with this post. I watched the video after reading the thread on it and I was expecting something much more outrageous. However it is a dumb song and she looked like an awkward go go dancer trying to get the spotlight . I don't expect anything else from the vmas.
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I've never heard the song. What an ass to sing about "blurred lines" of sexual consent.
lhiannan
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My mind didn't even go to the raunch factor....I just thought the whole thing was confusing and terrible.

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Sounds like eh bleh bleh to me.

I watched it when it went down and then again as it was played over and over again on the news. Miley looked like fool. End of story. Robin Thicke looked like one as well in that lame striped suit, but I didn't see him using the same level of wild antics as Miley.
Is Dr. Jill one of those women who think women are just as capable as men of taking care of themselves until they make fools of themselves and then they're victims just victims of a sexist society?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I have no issue with WHAT she did, I think the venue was totally NOT the place for it. It was considered prime time family television and the audience was filled with families. I get that she was trying to scream I'M AN ADULT but being an adult also comes with the responsibility of knowing when and where.

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

i read the lyrics but im not getting a song about rape so maybe im stupid?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN