Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A sexologist's two cents on, yea, Miley Cyrus (a more feminist perspective)

Posted by   + Show Post

I see her point below. I was thinking the same thing -- What about the guy's, errr, compliance, with this? People are acting like MC is victimizing the poor guy, who just wants to sing!

I'm also thinking about MC's manager and the people who put the whole awards show together. It's not like wicked, wicked MC came out and did this without anyone else's input. In fact, I bet she is not even the one who came up with this dumb ass idea.

Still, she put her face -- or ass -- on it, so she justifiably gets the brunt of the criticism.

I think feminists have difficulty with this because it is clearly a woman objectifying herself (some say) while others say, well, damn, she is just expressing her sexuality...why aren't "girls" allowed to do that?

What do you think?

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59399069155/a-sexologists-two-cents-on-the-2013-mtv-vmas

Dear Society,

If you think a woman in a tan vinyl bra and underwear, grabbing her crotch and grinding up on a dance partner is raunchy, trashy, and offensive but you don’t think her dance partner is raunchy, trashy, or offensive as he sings a song about “blurred” lines of consent and propagating rape culture, then you may want to reevaluate your acceptance of double standards and your belief in stereotypes about how men vs. women “should” and are “allowed” to behave.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Replies (121-127):
impostagothkat
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM

I was so in love with Rose when she wore that! OMG so hot! LOL Seriously who can't appreciate such a nice booty, wish mine looked like that.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I dunno, Rose looks a bit chilly.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

that dress was fucking hot. and I'm not gay or nothing... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

MTV should really enforce a dress code.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Yeah, im just not getting the outrage. This is the vmas, where people tend to show up basically naked (remember lil kim or rose mcgowan?). It wasn't my cup of tea, but that's why I didn't watch the show.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:08 AM

As far as I am concerned, he had nothing left to lose.  he sucked already and looks like a dick.

Quoting mehamil1:

I don't know how much that counts in that world. 

I don't know how much Taylor Swift would lose should she do something. 

What pisses me off is that Robin Thick doesn't seem to have lost a damn thing. 

Quoting Luvnlogic:
Well, there's that. ;) But their reputations were set before the VMA's.
Quoting mehamil1:

Mainly because Taylor Swift didn't strip down to her undies and give what's his face a lap dance. 

Quoting Luvnlogic:
Did you miss where another poster asked about this meme? That's why I posted it and said "here ya go, Viv".

I do think it's an interesting phenomena, though. Why does one get slammed for being slutty when the other is the one sleeping around? Not talking about assigning value based on their sex lives, just wondering why they have opposite reputations from how they seemingly live.

Quoting mehamil1:

But Taylor Swift actually has some talent. And uses those break ups to make some awesome music. 

And nice, using their love life as some kind of...what? Why are they being defined by their relationships? Does that take away or somehow enhance them? Is Miley less a "slut" for being with the same person for a few years but still twerked on a stage against a married man who's also a father and a lot older than her than Taylor Swift who has run through a bunch of men in Hollywood but hasn't shaken her ass on stage? 

Why are their romantic relationships being brought into this at all? What does that have to do with them as music artist people? Nothing. But we as women are somehow defined by our relationships to men. No thanks. Don't buy it. 

Quoting Luvnlogic
Here ya go, Viv

Minnow Slayer

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't like that song of his. Seems a little too rapy. 

Quoting Carpy:

As far as I am concerned, he had nothing left to lose.  he sucked already and looks like a dick.

Quoting mehamil1:

I don't know how much that counts in that world. 

I don't know how much Taylor Swift would lose should she do something. 

What pisses me off is that Robin Thick doesn't seem to have lost a damn thing. 

Quoting Luvnlogic:
Well, there's that. ;) But their reputations were set before the VMA's.
Quoting mehamil1:

Mainly because Taylor Swift didn't strip down to her undies and give what's his face a lap dance. 

Quoting Luvnlogic:
Did you miss where another poster asked about this meme? That's why I posted it and said "here ya go, Viv".

I do think it's an interesting phenomena, though. Why does one get slammed for being slutty when the other is the one sleeping around? Not talking about assigning value based on their sex lives, just wondering why they have opposite reputations from how they seemingly live.

Quoting mehamil1:

But Taylor Swift actually has some talent. And uses those break ups to make some awesome music. 

And nice, using their love life as some kind of...what? Why are they being defined by their relationships? Does that take away or somehow enhance them? Is Miley less a "slut" for being with the same person for a few years but still twerked on a stage against a married man who's also a father and a lot older than her than Taylor Swift who has run through a bunch of men in Hollywood but hasn't shaken her ass on stage? 

Why are their romantic relationships being brought into this at all? What does that have to do with them as music artist people? Nothing. But we as women are somehow defined by our relationships to men. No thanks. Don't buy it. 

Quoting Luvnlogic
Here ya go, Viv
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM

If I were his wife, I'd be in court the next morning.

But he's still cute

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I haven't and now I don't want too. Ugh. I saw the other day that he is both married and a father to a 3 year old. I was already disgusted with his art in that mess, but more after I found that out. IMO they are both seriously lacking morals, values, and basic decency. Her display that night was worse, but they are both disgusting. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I googled the lyrics.

I wish I hadn't. Oh my God, how revolting.

Quoting turtle68:

I dont get it either.  as much as I love the tune of blurred lines...the words and the video make me want to vomit.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I'm sure his wife understands the difference between performance and real life. Being married to "artists", whether recording or acting, presents a different set of challenges. Not everyone is cut out for it. I don't think I'd want to see my husband up on stage or in a love scene in a movie...I'd be a crazy stalker wife following him to work. Haha!

Quoting snookyfritz:

If I were his wife, I'd be in court the next morning.

But he's still cute

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I haven't and now I don't want too. Ugh. I saw the other day that he is both married and a father to a 3 year old. I was already disgusted with his art in that mess, but more after I found that out. IMO they are both seriously lacking morals, values, and basic decency. Her display that night was worse, but they are both disgusting. 

Quoting TranquilMind:

I googled the lyrics.

I wish I hadn't. Oh my God, how revolting.

Quoting turtle68:

I dont get it either.  as much as I love the tune of blurred lines...the words and the video make me want to vomit.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:11 PM

I was stunned at the video...I was stunned that the guy participated, and yes, I know it was probably all planned that way, but I thought better of him...I expected nothing less from MC.  I don't think rock music is "supposed" to be offensive at all, she just made her song offensive.  As her mother, I'd be absolutely devastated....on the other hand, if she were my daughter, she'd not have done it.  I can't imagine any parent being proud to show "Grandma and Grandpa" that video.  Yikes.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Same here.

Quoting PamR:

Not a fan of the Robin Thicke song at all.

What I saw was Miley Cyrus, who was a child star and is now an adult, trying very hard to make people notice that she is no longer a child.  The way she went (and goes) about it, however, really suggests an immature young woman who is trying to shock rather than display her talents as an adult.  If she's trying to follow in the Madonna/Lady Gaga tradition, she's not doing too well.  They had talent to back up the shock value of their persformances, but she doesn't seem to have the goods.  At least, not what I saw. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN