Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A sexologist's two cents on, yea, Miley Cyrus (a more feminist perspective)

Posted by   + Show Post

I see her point below. I was thinking the same thing -- What about the guy's, errr, compliance, with this? People are acting like MC is victimizing the poor guy, who just wants to sing!

I'm also thinking about MC's manager and the people who put the whole awards show together. It's not like wicked, wicked MC came out and did this without anyone else's input. In fact, I bet she is not even the one who came up with this dumb ass idea.

Still, she put her face -- or ass -- on it, so she justifiably gets the brunt of the criticism.

I think feminists have difficulty with this because it is clearly a woman objectifying herself (some say) while others say, well, damn, she is just expressing her sexuality...why aren't "girls" allowed to do that?

What do you think?

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59399069155/a-sexologists-two-cents-on-the-2013-mtv-vmas

Dear Society,

If you think a woman in a tan vinyl bra and underwear, grabbing her crotch and grinding up on a dance partner is raunchy, trashy, and offensive but you don’t think her dance partner is raunchy, trashy, or offensive as he sings a song about “blurred” lines of consent and propagating rape culture, then you may want to reevaluate your acceptance of double standards and your belief in stereotypes about how men vs. women “should” and are “allowed” to behave.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Replies (21-30):
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Did you read his mother reaction:
I can't copy and paste (mobile).
It something like
"Dear lord I keep thinking about her parents watching it. Why she need to put her butt so close to my son. I wish I didn't see it I can't unsee it" blah blah blah
And I am thinking: How about your son??? he participated willingly in this "show"lol

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I see her point below. I was thinking the same thing -- What about the guy's, errr, compliance, with this? People are acting like MC is victimizing the poor guy, who just wants to sing!

I'm also thinking about MC's manager and the people who put the whole awards show together. It's not like wicked, wicked MC came out and did this without anyone else's input. In fact, I bet she is not even the one who came up with this dumb ass idea.

Still, she put her face -- or ass -- on it, so she justifiably gets the brunt of the criticism.

I think feminists have difficulty with this because it is clearly a woman objectifying herself (some say) while others say, well, damn, she is just expressing her sexuality...why aren't "girls" allowed to do that?

What do you think?

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59399069155/a-sexologists-two-cents-on-the-2013-mtv-vmas

Dear Society,

If you think a woman in a tan vinyl bra and underwear, grabbing her crotch and grinding up on a dance partner is raunchy, trashy, and offensive but you don’t think her dance partner is raunchy, trashy, or offensive as he sings a song about “blurred” lines of consent and propagating rape culture, then you may want to reevaluate your acceptance of double standards and your belief in stereotypes about how men vs. women “should” and are “allowed” to behave.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
casseopeia
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Miley Cyrus is a hoebag.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I've been thinking the same thing-I highly doubt Miley did this all on her own.  And I'm sure she knew it would create some more people who don't like her...and she doesn't care.  But I still hope she grows out of this stage.  

There are people who don't care what people think about them...but if you want people to treat you with respect you shouldn't prance around on a stage with giant teddy bears and masterbate with a foam finger.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I think the quasi-feminist over reaction to it is hilarious.

"My lands! She should have thought of all those delicate little ladies she's influencing!"

"This promotes rape culture and Robin Thicke isn't held accountable!"

It's parody, ladies. It's not intended to be considerate of anyone's lack of humor.

I honestly don't think a single person was taking themselves seriously on that stage last night.

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 9:58 AM

I think what was so uncomfortable for everyone was Miley's energy.  It was absolutely manic, like she'd snorted 10 pixie sticks laced with X and washed it down with a couple of shots of Southern Comfort and now she was ready to show the world the grown up, sexy Miley.   With teddy bears.  It didn't feel like she was in control of herself. 

I didn't like Robin Thicke before he even stepped on the stage because of his lame song. 

The whole performance was a trainwreck and I don't think it made anyone feel entertained, which is the point of popular music and those overblown awards shows.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I don't know...it did have an it's-so-bad-it's-good quality to it...

Quoting oddgirl:

I think what was so uncomfortable for everyone was Miley's energy.  It was absolutely manic, like she'd snorted 10 pixie sticks laced with X and washed it down with a couple of shots of Southern Comfort and now she was ready to show the world the grown up, sexy Miley.   With teddy bears.  It didn't feel like she was in control of herself. 

I didn't like Robin Thicke before he even stepped on the stage because of his lame song. 

The whole performance was a trainwreck and I don't think it made anyone feel entertained, which is the point of popular music and those overblown awards shows.

lilbit53009
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:10 AM

i just think she looked bad (appearence wise)...if she had a different outfit (even as small, but just different) and a better hair do it wouldn't have been so gross.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I wonder if he even saw her through the shades...

Quoting annabl1970:

Did you read his mother reaction:
I can't copy and paste (mobile).
It something like
"Dear lord I keep thinking about her parents watching it. Why she need to put her butt so close to my son. I wish I didn't see it I can't unsee it" blah blah blah
And I am thinking: How about your son??? he participated willingly in this "show"lol

Quoting Seasidegirl:

What do you think?

Dear Society,

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I can't get over the fact that when Robin Thicke speaks, he sounds just like his father.
In which case, I then have a combination of Growing Pains and that song going in my head, which is just not helpful. 

oddgirl
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Eh . . .  When I think so-bad-it's-good, I think stuff like Nicki Minaj doing Roman Holiday at the Grammy Awards.  But that's just me.

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

I don't know...it did have an it's-so-bad-it's-good quality to it...

Quoting oddgirl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN