Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A sexologist's two cents on, yea, Miley Cyrus (a more feminist perspective)

Posted by   + Show Post

I see her point below. I was thinking the same thing -- What about the guy's, errr, compliance, with this? People are acting like MC is victimizing the poor guy, who just wants to sing!

I'm also thinking about MC's manager and the people who put the whole awards show together. It's not like wicked, wicked MC came out and did this without anyone else's input. In fact, I bet she is not even the one who came up with this dumb ass idea.

Still, she put her face -- or ass -- on it, so she justifiably gets the brunt of the criticism.

I think feminists have difficulty with this because it is clearly a woman objectifying herself (some say) while others say, well, damn, she is just expressing her sexuality...why aren't "girls" allowed to do that?

What do you think?

http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/59399069155/a-sexologists-two-cents-on-the-2013-mtv-vmas

Dear Society,

If you think a woman in a tan vinyl bra and underwear, grabbing her crotch and grinding up on a dance partner is raunchy, trashy, and offensive but you don’t think her dance partner is raunchy, trashy, or offensive as he sings a song about “blurred” lines of consent and propagating rape culture, then you may want to reevaluate your acceptance of double standards and your belief in stereotypes about how men vs. women “should” and are “allowed” to behave.

Sincerely,

Dr. Jill

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 6:40 AM
Replies (41-50):
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:31 AM

He married his high school sweetheart and has a son.

He's not a bad guy. 

Quoting Luvnlogic:

He's really Alan Thicke's son? I thought someone was kidding when they said that. So his real life son is known for his sex music and his tv son is trying to save the world from sin and prepare for the second coming?!? Huh, guess Alan parented quite differently IRL. Haha!

Quoting Raintree:

I can't get over the fact that when Robin Thicke speaks, he sounds just like his father.
In which case, I then have a combination of Growing Pains and that song going in my head, which is just not helpful. 

TerraIncognita
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:38 AM
3 moms liked this
That song was not about rape and my issue is that Miley's performance was just flat out BAD.

I was uncomfortable not because she was overly sexual but because her moves were awkward. It looked to me like a pre-teen trying to act sexy.
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:39 AM
I don't think he is, either. Singing about sex is hardly scandalous...I just thought it was kinda funny. ;)

Quoting Kate_Momof3:

He married his high school sweetheart and has a son.

He's not a bad guy. 

Quoting Luvnlogic:

He's really Alan Thicke's son? I thought someone was kidding when they said that. So his real life son is known for his sex music and his tv son is trying to save the world from sin and prepare for the second coming?!? Huh, guess Alan parented quite differently IRL. Haha!

Quoting Raintree:

I can't get over the fact that when Robin Thicke speaks, he sounds just like his father.
In which case, I then have a combination of Growing Pains and that song going in my head, which is just not helpful. 

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I think everyone involved in the situation is raunchy.  I think Miley is a very troubled young woman who unfortunately, can't undo the last couple of years.  Express your sexuality all you want, in private

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM
I know, she's was all jerky and awkward. Any chance it was on purpose just to add to the surreal tone of the performance? Her voice, which I've never found particularly awesome, was waaaay off, too. The whole thing was just weird.

Quoting TerraIncognita:

That song was not about rape and my issue is that Miley's performance was just flat out BAD.

I was uncomfortable not because she was overly sexual but because her moves were awkward. It looked to me like a pre-teen trying to act sexy.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
I was going to say the same thing; that I didn't find the grinding against Mr. Thicke to be the nastiest aspect. I actually exclaimed out loud when I took a look at the video to see what everyone was talking about and saw Ms Cyrus DRY HUMPING A FOAM FINGER.

Quoting celestegood:

The grinding part wasn't offensive to me. She has the whole perma tongue out thing going, which is raunchy and gross. Then the pedo bear thing is strange.

I just think shes gone off the deep end. We get it Hon. You are grown up now. Good. Now put your tongue up and put something more tasteful on.
Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

She looked goofy. And the coochini was really obvious.

I watched the performance again and it's just funny.

Quoting Luvnlogic:

I know, she's was all jerky and awkward. Any chance it was on purpose just to add to the surreal tone of the performance? Her voice, which I've never found particularly awesome, was waaaay off, too. The whole thing was just weird.

Quoting TerraIncognita:

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:46 AM

ummm has anyone actually listened to the lyrics of the song. It doesn't propagate rape culture at all.

masonmomma
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

To me, what made her so raunchy and offensive is that everything she did was sexual. She didn't just hump him, she humped everything, air licked anything, and purposefully placed anything between her legs to hump as well. Many choreographed routines have a little dry hump so that isolated moment I found raunchy but not over the top. Nothing I would sit and be in awe of its full on raunchiness.

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM
I'm going to agree with this. Plus she "dances" like eminem with more ass shaking. Its not sexy. Its talentless and weird.

Quoting oddgirl:

I think what was so uncomfortable for everyone was Miley's energy.  It
was absolutely manic, like she'd snorted 10 pixie sticks laced with X
and washed it down with a couple of shots of Southern Comfort and now
she was ready to show the world the grown up, sexy Miley.   With teddy
bears.  It didn't feel like she was in control of herself. 

I didn't like Robin Thicke before he even stepped on the stage because of his lame song. 

The whole performance was a trainwreck and I don't think it made anyone feel entertained, which is the point of popular music and those overblown awards shows.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)