Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Robin Thicke's Blurred Lines And Marvin Gaye's Family

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 33 Replies

Did anyone know about Marvin Gaye's family suing Robin Thicke because they feel he plagiarized the late Marvin Gaye's song " Got to Give it Up?" Here's a video of each and the similarities are amazing. Apparently Thicke has proposed a settlement but Gaye's family refused. 

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=824493&ocid=ansent11

Report: Marvin Gaye's family turn down Robin Thicke settlement

WENN

Marvin Gaye's family has turned down a six-figure settlement from Robin Thicke as he attempts to end an ongoing battle over similarities between his summer hit "Blurred Lines" and soul classic "Got To Give It Up," according to a report.

Members of the late soul legend's family are currently embroiled in a lawsuit with the R&B hitmaker over his tune, claiming Thicke plagiarized "Got To Give it Up," while Thicke maintains "Blurred Lines" does not infringe on Gaye's song.

Thicke reportedly offered up the settlement to preempt a copyright infringement lawsuit, but the family rejected it, according to Billboard.com.

Earlier this month, Thicke, along with the song's co-writers Pharrell Williams and Clifford Harris, Jr., aka T.I., filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles requesting a ruling that "Blurred Lines" does not infringe on "Got To Give It Up."

The lawsuit reads, "Defendants continue to insist that plaintiffs' massively successful composition, Blurred Lines, copies 'their' compositions."

The suit upset Gaye's family members and the late singer's son Marvin Gaye III tells TMZ.com, “We’re not happy with the way that he went about doing business let alone suing us for something where he clearly got his inspiration from at the least. That’s caused my family a lot of duress.”

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I heard about it it is not the same exact beat it sounds like it was inspired by it but they will have a hard time trying to get money from this suit
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I can hear a few similarities but really? If you make a record does it give you sole right to all sounds, chords, and expressions? Its music!

parentalrights1
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Some songs will have to sound similar eventually. There's been like a gajillion songs made.

Reminds me of madonna's butthurt over Lady Gaga's song.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

There are a lot of songs out there that sound similar to another artists style but simlar is not infringement. This does not sound nearly as similar as many others.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Nah, I don't see that the two songs are all that similar -- they both are peppy pop, but if I were Robin, I would take this to court.

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

They sound nothing alike. Someone is just trying to make some money.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM
They should have taken the settlement. This would be an interesting trial to watch.them try to prove this! Haha.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Robin Thicke is very cute.  I love that song, I can't help it. I hear the similarities, but not enough to warrant a settlement

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:23 PM

A lot of songs share a similar beat, oh well, people will sue for the dumbest things.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Aug. 27, 2013 at 2:35 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh my.

Another silly lawsuit.

Even so, nothing will make me find see anything attractive about Robin Thicke. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)