Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Donald Trump's Trump University A Scam!

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM
  • 19 Replies

And he is blaming Obama lol. 

Donald Trump wigs out over ‘university’ fraud claims, says Obama is behind suit

The Donald blasted New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman as a ‘political hack’ for slapping Trump U with a $40 million lawsuit, and suggested the president might be behind the litigation. But former students say the real estate mogul had it coming.

Comments (43)
Print
Donald Trump claims “we have a lot of happy students” at college named for himself, but the state calls it a scam that conned $40 million from students with high-pressure pitches.  Photo by Getty Images

JEFF J MITCHELL/GETTY IMAGES

Donald Trump claims 'we have a lot of happy students' at his investment school, Trump University — but the state calls it a scam that conned $40 million from students with high-pressure pitches.

Donald Trump went on the warpath Monday over accusations that his Trump University was a sham — even as angry former students stepped forward, calling the “school” a giant ripoff.

Trump blasted New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman as a “political hack” for slapping the school with a $40 million fraud suit. Trump even suggested President Barack Obama might be behind the litigation. Schneiderman called Trump’s beef absurd.

Amid the accusations, the Daily News obtained a deposition that Trump gave last year in which he acknowledged that he didn’t know some key operational details of the school, which promised easy riches through his real estate techniques.

“Which of your real estate secrets were taught as part of the mentorship?” Trump was asked in the deposition, taken in connection with a federal lawsuit filed by several former students against Trump U.

'They [President Barack Obama and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman] meet on Thursday evening ... I get sued on Saturday at 1 o'clock. Think about it,' Donald Trump says is why he thinks the president was behind the fraud suit against Trump University.

ALEX WONG/GETTY IMAGES

'They [President Barack Obama and New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman] meet on Thursday evening ... I get sued on Saturday at 1 o'clock. Think about it,' Donald Trump says is why he thinks the president was behind the fraud suit against Trump University.

“You’d have to ask Mr. Sexton. He has all that information,” Trump answered, referring to Michael Sexton, who was Trump U’s president.

In the deposition, Trump also could not detail what students received in return for paying $1,500 in the school’s apprenticeship program or what they got in the more expensive “Gold Elite” program. Nor could he recall his “10 steps for closing any real estate deal.”

“It’s been a long time ago,” he said.

But he had plenty to say about the quality of Trump U.

Former Trump University students spoke out Monday. Said Kevin Scott, who's allegedly out $25,000: 'It turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life.'

TRUMP UNIVERSITY

Former Trump University students spoke out Monday. Said Kevin Scott, who's allegedly out $25,000: 'It turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life.'

“I went to the Wharton School of Finance,” Trump said in the deposition, referring to the University of Pennsylvania’s business school. “I know a lot about education.”

Attending Trump U, he said, was “no different than going to Harvard.”

“They say go to Harvard, great school, blah, blah, blah, and I think this is — except I think we have a higher approval rating than Harvard if you want to know the truth.”

In his lawsuit, Schneiderman said Trump U victimized as many as 5,000 people with a classic “bait and switch” — promising to make students rich and then enticing them to pay as much as $35,000 for seminars that were largely useless.

This marketing letter, filed as an exhibit with the state of New York's lawsuit against Trump University, highlights promises the school allegedly made to potential students.

This marketing letter, filed as an exhibit with the state of New York's lawsuit against Trump University, highlights promises the school allegedly made to potential students.

Trump launched a furious counterattack of tweets and TV appearances blasting Schneiderman and suggesting that Obama — who met the attorney general during a swing through upstate New York last week — had a role in the lawsuit.

“They meet on Thursday evening. I get sued by this AG Schneiderman, I get sued on Saturday at 1 o’clock. Think of it. What government agency in the history of this country has ever brought a suit on a Saturday?” Trump railed on “Fox and Friends.”

RELATED: NY ATTORNEY GENERAL FIRED UP TO BEAT ALLEGED TRUMP FRAUD

“Maybe it’s a mini IRS [scandal],” Trump said on CNN. “I am a Republican, I have been a critic.”

Advertisments like this allegedly enticed students to sign up with Trump University.

Advertisments like this allegedly enticed students to sign up with Trump University.

In one tweet, Trump claimed he was the victim of “Thug Politics.” In another, he called Schneiderman “a total sleazebag!”

Schneiderman denied any collaboration with Obama and called Trump’s claims nonsense.

“Prosecutors are all used to persons who commit fraud making wild accusations when they’re caught,” he said on CNN. “This is just an effort to distract from the substance of the case.”

Former students spoke out Monday, saying Trump had it coming.

Donald Trump's tweets started coming fast and furious Monday afternoon.

Donald Trump's tweets started coming fast and furious Monday afternoon.

“They touted this as, ‘We have this whole thing set up. We are the experts. We know what we are doing. You go with us, we are going to make things a lot easier,’” said Kevin Scott, 44, of Westchester County, who claims he’s out $25,000.

“It turned out to be one of the biggest mistakes of my life.”

Trump’s name “is synonymous with real estate,” Scott said.

“The thing they touted heavily was you bring us the deals, and we’ll get you the financing,” he said. “You can do this without your own money. And to this day, I still have no idea how this is possible.”

BILL BRAMHALL/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Gregory Ryan, who has sued Trump University separately in Suffolk County Supreme Court, said he’s the victim of a $25,000 “ripoff.”

“We’ve all seen Donald Trump on TV,” said Ryan, 59. “He’s well known so that gave me a degree of trust … I thought that something with his name on it could help me make money, that it could help me out. But when I got into it I found out that was not true at all. I got left holding the bag.”

The News has learned that the plaintiffs in a California lawsuit will be in court Friday, asking a judge for permission to amend their case to bring civil charges under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, known as RICO.

The government typically uses RICO to pursue criminal cases, but private parties can also file civil RICO suits when they believe they have been victimized by a conspiracy. If successful in a civil RICO case, plaintiffs can collect triple damages.

Trump tried to short-circuit the lawsuit earlier this year by countersuing the lead plaintiff, Tarla Makaeff, for defamation. His lawyers argued that Makaeff had recorded testimonials in praise of Trump U. But an appeals court dismissed Trump’s challenge.

In an op-ed for The News, Schneiderman said that some students were “hounded” into giving favorable reviews of Trump U.

csiemaszko@nydailynews.com

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/donald-trump-wigs-university-fraud-suit-article-1.1437793#ixzz2dC1AFRFC

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 3:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I find it sad that people paid tens of thousands of dollars for something like this. You knpw what pt bBarnum says. It screams scam from the get go. Hardsell money grubbing bullshit.
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't get it either, but I personally know a few people who are easily suckered into things that should seem too good to be true.  Some people really look up to Trump as though he has some sort of magic incite to success that he will share with them.  They don't recognize that their belief in what he's selling is built on their greed of easy money.  My mom really admires him, and I could never figure out why.  To me, he's always seemed like an arrogant scam artist.   

Quoting stacymomof2:

I find it sad that people paid tens of thousands of dollars for something like this. You knpw what pt bBarnum says. It screams scam from the get go. Hardsell money grubbing bullshit.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Appropriately named no? It trumps you.

SuperChicken
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

A fool and his money are soon parted.

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Hasn't Trump filed bankruptcy a billion times or something? I feel bad for the people, but really. Who would pay money to the man to begin with?

Aslen
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Waiting for the teabaggers to defend him.....

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I haven't read much about this, but what kind of a moron would pay for something like this? "Trump University"? Please.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I have not read the article but this story has been all over the news.

Trump. Is. an. Ass.

And that is all I have to say about THAT.

GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Shocking....or not so much.

Why do people get sucked into this stuff?

joyfree
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

What about this crapola "institute of higher learning"? Their motto is "Learn History As It REALLY Happened"!

http://www.glennbeck.com/becku/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN