Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kentucky Students Say Healthy Food Tastes Like 'Vomit'

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 85 Replies

Kentucky Students Say Healthy Food Tastes Like 'Vomit'

article image

Public school students in Harlan County, Kentucky do not like the new healthy menu for lunch.

“They say it tastes like vomit,” Harlan County Public Schools board member Myra Mosle quoted the children as saying at a school board meeting last week, notes HarlanDaily.com.

“Kids can’t learn when they’re hungry!” some parents said to the school board.

However, that hunger is self-induced by the kids themselves.

Apparently, the students hate brown wheat bread, skim or one percent fat milk and non-fat chocolate or strawberry-flavored milk.

“It’s strange and different for them, so they don’t like it,” added Jack Miniard, director of school and community nutrition.

The healthy USDA meal regulations are part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act of 2010, which has long-been supported by First Lady Michelle Obama.

Under the National School Lunch Program and the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, public schools must provide lunches with certain amounts of fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.

To combat skyrocketing obesity and diabetes in America's children, the calorie cap is 850 for high school lunches, 700 for middle schools and 650 for elementary school.

Carbs, such as french fries, are limited to a single serving of three-fourths of a cup, but the kids can eat as many fruits and vegetables as they want.

Sources: HarlanDaily.com

by on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM
5 moms liked this

Healthy food can taste like vomit - when it's not prepared creatively. If you use the right seasoning, anything can taste good. And herbs and spices generally do not make a food unhealthy. Serving a kid a plain piece of boiled chicken with no seasoning on it isn't going to be popular. Hell, I wouldn't want to eat that. 

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:41 PM
4 moms liked this

Sounds like their parents have been feeding them the less healthy stuff at home.  If they don't like the lunch, can't they pack crap they have at their house and eat it at school?

JustCJ
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM
Then the kids go home and tear into far less healthy options.
Mommy383
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Funny my son just told me today about what happened when he brought his lunch in. Another boy told him "school lunch is free , why did you bring that"?. My son's reply: school lunch is gross. And I agree. Healthy my a$$. Chicken nuggets, hot dogs, hamburgers, cold veggies.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM
3 moms liked this

I pack my kids lunch. I think school lunch tastes like vomit.

Mommy383
by Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Quoting cjsbmom:

Healthy food can taste like vomit - when it's not prepared creatively. If you use the right seasoning, anything can taste good. And herbs and spices generally do not make a food unhealthy. Serving a kid a plain piece of boiled chicken with no seasoning on it isn't going to be popular. Hell, I wouldn't want to eat that. 

You know they don't season school lunch. My lunches are more filling and healthier than anything they serve.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:46 PM
6 moms liked this

Let them go hungry then- the little entitled fat-asses.

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM
I went to school in KY. I'm not surprised. Their food might have tasted great, but I never would have known; it was either so greasy it would fall apart or so hard you couldnt bite it, let alone chew. They had wheat rolls when I was there, but you may as well have been eating straight flour, it was so dry. The fruit was old and soft, and the veggies were cardboard. You got the same serving of milk as a kindergartener, and another was $0.75. And often, by the time you even got in line and made it to the food, it was pretty much gone.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting Mommy383:

Quoting cjsbmom:

You know they don't season school lunch. My lunches are more filling and healthier than anything they serve.

I know they don't, because that would require actual knowledge of preparing food, which most school cafeteria workers do not have. My kid doesn't eat school lunch. If I wouldn't eat it, I don't expect him to, either. We pack. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Aug. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Where do you live that school lunch is free? Here, we have to pay over $2 for the slop, and that's for elementary school lunches. At the upper levels, it's $3.75.

Quoting Mommy383:

Funny my son just told me today about what happened when he brought his lunch in. Another boy told him "school lunch is free , why did you bring that"?. My son's reply: school lunch is gross. And I agree. Healthy my a$$. Chicken nuggets, hot dogs, hamburgers, cold veggies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN