Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Video: Biden Threatening to Impeach President If He Launches an Attack Without Congressional Authority

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:49 AM
  • 68 Replies
1 mom liked this

Following up on Ace's post here is Biden telling Chris Matthews back in 2007 that he is deadly serious about attempting to impeach Bush if he goes to war in Iran without congressional authorization:

Matthews: You said that if the President of the United States had launched an attack on Iran without congressional approval that would have been an impeachable offense. Do you want to review that comment you made? Well how do you stand on that now?

Biden:Yes I do. I want to stand by the comment I made. The reason I made the comment was as a warning. I don't say those things lightly, Chris, you've known me for a long time. I was chairman of the judiciary committee for 17 years or its ranking member. I teach separation of powers and constitutional law. This is something I know. So I got together and brought a group of constitutional scholars together to write a piece that I'm going to deliver to the whole United State Senate pointing out the President has no constitutional authority...to take this nation to war against a county of 70 million people unless we're attacked or unless there is proof we are about to be attacked. And if he does, if he does, I would move to impeach him. The House obviously has to do that but I would lead an effort to impeach him. The reason for my doing that, I don't say it lightly, I don't say it lightly. I say it because they should understand that what they were threatening, what they were saying, what it was adding up to be, what it looked like to the rest of the world we were about to do would be the most disastrous thing that could be done in this moment in our history that I could think of.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 5:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, you see he was against it before he was for it.......

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Did you see Carney stumble all over this war issue?  Apparently, the use of WMD's by Syria on their own people is a threat to OUR national security. 

I am not saying we shouldn't do anything btw.  I just don't like hypocrites.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:36 AM
5 moms liked this

Well, since the Bush administration, the powers given the president are unprecedented.  This is the sort of thing that happens when powers are left unchecked

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM

hmmmm

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:43 AM
2 moms liked this
Yep. And Biden was speaking about going to war w/o approval...which is illegal. But pres' can do limited and short term attacks in "emergency" situations where we don't have time to wait for slow ass congress to act. So I guess we'll have to wait to see how this one plays out. Every finger and toe crossed that we don't need to put any more soldiers in harm's way.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Well, since the Bush administration, the powers given the president are unprecedented.  This is the sort of thing that happens when powers are left unchecked

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

We also don't need the blood of anymore innocents on our hands

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Yep. And Biden was speaking about going to war w/o approval...which is illegal. But pres' can do limited and short term attacks in "emergency" situations where we don't have time to wait for slow ass congress to act. So I guess we'll have to wait to see how this one plays out. Every finger and toe crossed that we don't need to put any more soldiers in harm's way.

Quoting snookyfritz:

lga1965
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM
This is old news. Yup, Bush set a precedent but he was protected.....know what I mean ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lga1965
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:46 AM
2 moms liked this
And, why is the USA acting as the World Police ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandRMomma
by Maya on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Took the words out of my mouth.

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Quoting snookyfritz:

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:53 AM
2 moms liked this
Seems like this post is trying to highlight some flip flop Biden did before it even happens. Pols are notoriously hypocritical, but at least wait until they actually put their foot in their mouth before saying "see, told ya". And with Biden, foot-in-mouth is never far away. Lol

Quoting RandRMomma:

Took the words out of my mouth.

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Quoting snookyfritz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)