Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Vandal Tries to Blow Up Vietnam War Memorial that has a Cross

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
  • 33 Replies

Vandal Tries to Blow Up Vietnam War Memorial with Cross

article image

An unidentified person tried to blow up a Vietnam War Memorial in Mingus Park in Coos Bay, Oregon with an improvised explosive device (IED) last Friday morning.

The Vietnam War Memorial was donated in 1972 by Western Bank and the Bay Area Jaycees, who dedicated it to veterans who served in the Vietnam War, noted KVAL.

The memorial includes a cross and sits on public land.

Back in February, the Freedom From Religion Foundation sent a letter to the Coos Bay City Council telling them to remove the cross from public property.

The Oregon chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union also sent a letter to the city council, urging the removal of the memorial from the public park.

The Liberty Institute, a Christian law group, is now advising the city council.

"Liberty Institute will not be intimidated. We will not back down when it comes to honoring the First Amendment, and we will continue to assist the City of Coos Bay in any way we can," Hiram Sasser of the Liberty Institute told The Christian Post in response to the IED incident.

"We unfortunately are now to the point where explosive devices are being placed next to crosses. These people will stop at nothing to intimidate communities to tear down their veterans memorials."

The Freedom From Religion Foundation also condemned the attempted vandalism: "We expressly do not accomplish that mission by inciting anyone to lawlessness, quite the opposite. We encourage members and citizens to stand up for the law, the First Amendment, which protects all of us, by engaging in educational activities."

Source: KVAL and The Christian Post

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:45 AM
3 moms liked this
Again, just because this is on public property, does not mean that the Government is forcing religion on anyone. This group is getting ridiculous and this is why some people think that there is a war on Christians.
SuperChicken
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm always skeptical about things like this.   I'm betting the explosive was set by someone with the Liberty Institute.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting billsfan1104:

Again, just because this is on public property, does not mean that the Government is forcing religion on anyone. This group is getting ridiculous and this is why some people think that there is a war on Christians.

Wrong. Government is supposed to be a representation of ALL Americans and if you represent one religion with a cross on Government property, it leaves out all the others and the non-religious as well. Also, I believe there were MANY non-Christians killed in Vietnam and having a Christian symbol on a memorial is a slap in the face to those who didn't have those beliefs.

IhartU
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Quoting SuperChicken:

I'm always skeptical about things like this.   I'm betting the explosive was set by someone with the Liberty Institute.

I can see that happening. They blow it to make the other look guilty.

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Wrong. Government is supposed to be a representation of ALL Americans and if you represent one religion with a cross on Government property, it leaves out all the others and the non-religious as well. Also, I believe there were MANY non-Christians killed in Vietnam and having a Christian symbol on a memorial is a slap in the face to those who didn't have those beliefs.

This is true.  Obviously, no one should try to blow it up or vandalize it, however, this is another example of Christians believing that their belief is more important than anyone else's.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:47 AM
5 moms liked this
Where do you get that Christians believe that their beliefs are better or more important??
This was a donation by a group. Why can't some of you just say that was nice and move on?? No one is forcing you to believe. No one is telling you "hey you better believe or else!" This is getting sad.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting billsfan1104:

This is true.  Obviously, no one should try to blow it up or vandalize it, however, this is another example of Christians believing that their belief is more important than anyone else's.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:48 AM
And this was something that was donated 40 years ago.
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I'll say the same thing I said in the post about the pledge. Just because it's been there for a long time, doesn't make it right.

The First Amendment is there for a reason, and includes a clause that says that the government cannot endorse (or appear to endorse) one religion over others or none. This should never have been put there in the first place.

That said, I of course do not condone blowing it up.

Quoting billsfan1104:

billsfan1104
by Jules on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this
It doesn't say " appear" first of all. The government is not endorsing anything. Please show me where they are endorsing a religion?

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

I'll say the same thing I said in the post about the pledge. Just because it's been there for a long time, doesn't make it right.

The First Amendment is there for a reason, and includes a clause that says that the government cannot endorse (or appear to endorse) one religion over others or none. This should never have been put there in the first place.

That said, I of course do not condone blowing it up.

Quoting billsfan1104:

PamR
by Pam on Aug. 28, 2013 at 4:43 PM

I am a Christian, fyi.  This group might possibly have wanted to consider that not all the vets are religious.

Quoting billsfan1104:

Where do you get that Christians believe that their beliefs are better or more important??
This was a donation by a group. Why can't some of you just say that was nice and move on?? No one is forcing you to believe. No one is telling you "hey you better believe or else!" This is getting sad.

Quoting PamR:

Quoting IhartU:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN