Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More Moms Are Binge Drinking and the CDC Is Worried

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 41 Replies

More Moms Are Binge Drinking and the CDC Is Worried

by Lindsay Ferrier 

FlickrPlenty of moms out there rely on a glass or two of wine a few nights a week to take the edge off of a long day. But according to the CDC, a growing number of moms are taking their drinking habit too far.

A recent report shows that binge drinking is on the rise, not just in teens and college-age women, but among moms who use alcohol to relieve the stress of their day.

So how do you know if you're a binge drinker?

Binge drinking is defined as having four or more drinks in one night. A recent CDC study showed that one in eight women binge drink about three times a month, and most of those women have an average of six drinks per binge.

You may think that doesn't sound like you -- but the FOX affiliate in Atlanta recently profiled a mom who's a recovering alcoholic, and what she had to say may hit home with you.

"I was drinking home alone," Stephanie Hazard told the reporter. "I was drinking to the point where I was almost finishing a bottle of wine a night. Not every night but every other night," she said.

Stephanie knew she had a problem when she realized that she felt like she couldn't go without a drink.

Among moms, binge drinking isn't happening at bars and restaurants (other than the occasional girls' night out). It's happening at home, often alone after the kids have gone to bed.

CDC statistics show that binge drinking is most common among women ages 18-34, whites and Hispanics, and women with an income greater than $75,000. Not only can it damage relationships and the family dynamic, it can also damage your health.

Binge drinking puts you at greater risk of breast cancer and heart disease. The CDC says that drinking too much causes the deaths of about 23,000 women and girls every year.

Whoa.

If you're worried that you have a problem with alcohol, you can get help by calling 1-800-662-HELP.

Do you think binge drinking among moms is a bigger problem than most people thought?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:48 AM
7 moms liked this

I'll drink to that!

SunFlower700
by Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL  this 

Quoting SyllabaryBisque:

I'll drink to that!

meriana
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
If they're going to have a few drinks, I'd much rather they do it at home where they aren't nearly as likely to get into a car and perhaps a accident as a result.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Probably becasue they get on CM and see how perfect all these sanctimommies are. Can't keep up with that!

Guess you could say I binge drink. I'll open a bottle of wine and very occasionaly get inspired. Then you'll see me walk past with a crowbar and said bottle of wine. I drink and rip up flooring. When I'm out of wine I quit. I've got like 2 rooms with floors not totally ripped up...gonna have to open a bottle of wine. ;)

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it has always been an issue, just no really thought about it until a poll came out

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I know MANY of these moms in real life. I have picked up a few of their kids when needed.

Yes, this is a serious issue.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I'm sure it is a bigger problem than recognized.   Yes, it happens at home alone after the kids are in bed.

Though I did it before I had kids, thankfully.  It became an ingrained habit, that was hard to break.  I haven't had a drink in 21 years...thank the Lord.  No meetings, no getting by, day by day....just God and His deliverance.   

And YES, I did know that it does correspond to higher levels of reproductive cancers.  Was not familiar about the heart disease connection.

muslimah
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

It's not a problem at our house. We drink and we like to drink. We usually go out Fridays and Saturdays and when we get home we drink for a couple hours and we enjoy our self.

I have only drank by my self about twice in my life and one of those times was when a friend backed out on me and I had already started drinking. I don't enjoy drinking my byselfself

Della529
by Matlock on Aug. 28, 2013 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this

Moms have been doing this for decades.  It just wasn't talked about.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I wouldn't be surprised. I have 1 drink a day, usually wine with dinner. But if I had 4 drinks in one day I'd be sick for at least 2 days.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)