Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

More Moms Are Binge Drinking and the CDC Is Worried

Posted by   + Show Post

More Moms Are Binge Drinking and the CDC Is Worried

by Lindsay Ferrier 

FlickrPlenty of moms out there rely on a glass or two of wine a few nights a week to take the edge off of a long day. But according to the CDC, a growing number of moms are taking their drinking habit too far.

A recent report shows that binge drinking is on the rise, not just in teens and college-age women, but among moms who use alcohol to relieve the stress of their day.

So how do you know if you're a binge drinker?

Binge drinking is defined as having four or more drinks in one night. A recent CDC study showed that one in eight women binge drink about three times a month, and most of those women have an average of six drinks per binge.

You may think that doesn't sound like you -- but the FOX affiliate in Atlanta recently profiled a mom who's a recovering alcoholic, and what she had to say may hit home with you.

"I was drinking home alone," Stephanie Hazard told the reporter. "I was drinking to the point where I was almost finishing a bottle of wine a night. Not every night but every other night," she said.

Stephanie knew she had a problem when she realized that she felt like she couldn't go without a drink.

Among moms, binge drinking isn't happening at bars and restaurants (other than the occasional girls' night out). It's happening at home, often alone after the kids have gone to bed.

CDC statistics show that binge drinking is most common among women ages 18-34, whites and Hispanics, and women with an income greater than $75,000. Not only can it damage relationships and the family dynamic, it can also damage your health.

Binge drinking puts you at greater risk of breast cancer and heart disease. The CDC says that drinking too much causes the deaths of about 23,000 women and girls every year.

Whoa.

If you're worried that you have a problem with alcohol, you can get help by calling 1-800-662-HELP.

Do you think binge drinking among moms is a bigger problem than most people thought?

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Replies (21-30):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Yes, I do believe both drinking and drugging (perscription meds) are a bigger problem than most people think and believe.  It is a silent epidemic for which the children of these parents must suffer from both pre-natally and for their life time.

Lorik1969
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Mother's Little Helper! The Stones covered this topic 40+ years ago lol!

Quoting Sisteract:

How is this different from the little white pill (Valium) that many moms ingested in the 50s-60s? 

I do not know any binge drinkers, but I do know plenty of moms who drink-

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:58 PM

This

Quoting Della529:

Moms have been doing this for decades.  It just wasn't talked about.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few... Who possess, the predisposition... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death." —Professor Snape

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting heresjohnny:

So let me get this straight - I, a "mother" have an alcohol problem if I drink a bottle of wine (aprox 4 glasses) on a friday night. BUT, men (fathers) don't have a problem if they drink a 12 pack over the weekend? I don't normally scream sexism, but here it is in all it's glory. Sure, they didn't come right out and say it's ok for men to drink and not ok for women, but those are the vibes I'm getting. How many men polish off a 6 pack while watching the game? .......Oh, but they don't have a drinking problem if it isn't an everyday thing and they don't get passed out drunk. WTF? Why are women held to higher standards than men?

It's sexist because it implies that mothers' behaviors count more than fathers' behaviors.

Arroree
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pamelax3:

I think it has always been an issue, just no really thought about it until a poll came out

I agree

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Aug. 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

I have a drink at least a few days a week after the kids are in bed. I don't get drunk though, I have to get up early in the morning LOL

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Now I want some wine
alc4evermom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I'm sober two years.  I have alcohol dependance and always drank alone.  I've never had a DUI or been in trouble with the law but I missed out on some things, and I'm glad that I am strong enough to end my stressful days without drinking or drugging.  People can joke, but suppressing your problems with substances is pretty lame.  Drinking at home alone is isolating, and alcohol is a depressant.  So don't cry about how depressed you are and then have a drink.  

alc4evermom
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

I don't find men who drink six packs and twelve packs over the weekend attractive at all.  I want a healthy man with a good head on his shoulders.  Just because its socially acceptable for men to do that, doesn't actually make it attractive.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting heresjohnny:

So let me get this straight - I, a "mother" have an alcohol problem if I drink a bottle of wine (aprox 4 glasses) on a friday night. BUT, men (fathers) don't have a problem if they drink a 12 pack over the weekend? I don't normally scream sexism, but here it is in all it's glory. Sure, they didn't come right out and say it's ok for men to drink and not ok for women, but those are the vibes I'm getting. How many men polish off a 6 pack while watching the game? .......Oh, but they don't have a drinking problem if it isn't an everyday thing and they don't get passed out drunk. WTF? Why are women held to higher standards than men?

It's sexist because it implies that mothers' behaviors count more than fathers' behaviors.

krysstizzle
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I enjoy a nice bottle of wine now and then :) Eek!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)