Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama on Syria: 'I have not made a decision'

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
  • 67 Replies

President Barack Obama said Wednesday he is still deciding how to respond to the use of chemical weapons in Syria.

"I have not made a decision," he told the "PBS News Hour” in his most extensive comments since the Aug. 21 attack in the outskirts of Damascus.

As a growing group of lawmakers call on him to explain his reasoning for an eventual strike, Obama made the case that the United States must protect its "core self-interest" and respond to the use of chemical weapons.

"I think it's important that if, we make a choice to have repercussions for the use of chemical weapons, then the Assad regime, which is involved in a civil war, trying to protect itself, will have received a pretty strong signal, that in fact, it better not do it again," Obama said. 

While that "doesn’t solve all the problems inside of Syria, and, you know, it doesn’t, obviously end the death of innocent civilians inside of Syria," it would be a necessary response to the large-scale use of chemical weapons against civilians, he said. Eventually, though, he still hopes for a political transition in Syria.

"When you start talking about chemical weapons in a country that has the largest stockpile of chemical weapons in the world, where over time, their control over chemical weapons may erode, where they’re allied to known terrorist organizations that, in the past, have targeted the United States, then there is a prospect, a possibility, in which chemical weapons that can have devastating effects could be directed at us," he said. "And we want to make sure that that does not happen."

source

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM
6 moms liked this

You think anyone in D.C. has got the nerve to tell him it really isn't his decision to make.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

You think anyone in D.C. has got the nerve to tell him it really isn't his decision to make.

I don't know. We have quite a few Congressmen who are calling for action over there as well, including McCain. 

Personally, i think we need to butt out. We are not the world police. 

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM
4 moms liked this

It still isn't his decision unless he decides to bypass Congress, AGAIN.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting candlegal:

I don't know. We have quite a few Congressmen who are calling for action over there as well, including McCain. 

blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting candlegal:

Obama's not concerned with Congress nor the Constitution.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:16 PM
7 moms liked this

Maybe he hasn't made the decision to ask Congress for action?  I like how you are jumping to conclusions that he will just decide to send in troops on his own.

wanderingmuse
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:18 PM
5 moms liked this
I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Bombing for peace is like screwing for virginity
blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting candlegal:

We have to pick our battles very carefully. I have mixed feelings about Syria & intervening. My heart breaks when 1000's of innocent ppl are being slaughtered by their gov't esp when chemical weapons are being used. We have to consider long term consequences if we strike Bashar al-Assad's stockpile of weapons. Al-Assad said Israel will pay if America interferes. If Syria continues to kill it's citizens, we can't just sit back & do nothing. When sarin & mustard gas is being used, a very painful slow death. Precious children are being killed. I can't tolerate this. No easy answer to this horrific problem.

blondekosmic15
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

Quoting wanderingmuse:

May I ask what strategic steps you would take to deter the violence? Are you comfortable with 1000's of innocent ppl including women & children being slaughtered by their own gov't?

wanderingmuse
by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this
The first step, IMO, would be for the world leaders involved to sit down and participate in a productive discussion that actually kept those people's best interests at heart.

I fully empathize with them. I have more in common with them than with those who will make this decision. I simply fail to see how dropping more bombs on them eases their suffering any :-(

Quoting blondekosmic15:

Quoting wanderingmuse:

May I ask what strategic steps you would take to deter the violence? Are you comfortable with 1000's of innocent ppl including women & children being slaughtered by their own gov't?

D-Town
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I almost (note word ...almost) want to say that if they have the largest stockpile of chemical weapons, let them use them all on each other and step in when they're done and help them burn the bodies. 

But I've been in an isolationist mood in regards to the rest of the world lately. Fix the problems here and worry about everyone else next. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)