Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

A More Radical Martin Luther King, Jr., in the months before his assassination. **video**

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
  • 6 Replies

Before He Was Assassinated, MLK Had A Really Radical Idea

Just months before he was assassinated, Martin Luther King Jr. was organizing support for the "Poor People's Campaign," aimed at supplementing the Civil Rights Act of 1964 with a full measure of economic and human rights for America's poor.

Watch MLK unfurl some important history at 1:22 and take a minute to sit back and wonder what might have happened if he'd been successful.

by on Aug. 28, 2013 at 9:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Aug. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

BUMP!

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Bump... That is interesting but I want to hear it a few times before I comment.

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Having gone to a land grant university and being so involved in local farming and all that farming implies, I found that last part of the vide (from 1:20 onward) to be particularly pertinent and incredibly telling. He was (IS!) right on point. Government subsidies for giant agro-farms are in the millions upon millions of dollars, for very specific people, many of whome espouse conservative views. I found MLK's remarks on this to be particularly poignant. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I have to agree. He really was a very intelligent man who was spot on in his views of the world. 

IQuoting krysstizzle:

Having gone to a land grant university and being so involved in local farming and all that farming implies, I found that last part of the vide (from 1:20 onward) to be particularly pertinent and incredibly telling. He was (IS!) right on point. Government subsidies for giant agro-farms are in the millions upon millions of dollars, for very specific people, many of whome espouse conservative views. I found MLK's remarks on this to be particularly poignant. 

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

lokilover
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 12:19 AM

I really don't think this is that "radical".

krysstizzle
by DeepThought on Aug. 29, 2013 at 8:53 AM
I don't either, personally. But if the same sentiments are expressed today, I think it would be considered either radical or race baiting by some.

Quoting lokilover:

I really don't think this is that "radical".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)