Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher Who Raped 14-Year-Old Girl Only Gets 30 Days Because Judge Says She Was 'in Control'

Posted by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 95 Replies
1 mom liked this

Teacher Who Raped 14-Year-Old Girl Only Gets 30 Days Because Judge Says She Was 'in Control'

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

14 year old rape victimStacey Dean Rambold, a 54-year-old teacher from Montana has been sentenced to only 30 days in prison after he raped his 14-year-old student five years ago. She subsequently killed herself during the criminal investigation, just shy of her 17th birthday. Thirty days. And yet, horrifying as that is, that's not even the worst part.

The judge in the case did not blame this man who was nearly 50 years old and in a position of power over this very young and troubled girl. He blamed the girl. Judge G. Todd Baugh said she knew what she was doing, was "older than her chronological age," and that she was "in control" as much as he was. He said all of this despite the 35 year age difference and his clear position of power over her.

And that's not all he said. In his "apology" letter, he was even worse. See below:

I think that people have in mind that this was some violent, forcible, horrible rape.… It was horrible enough as it is just given her age, but it wasn't this forcible beat-up rape.

Tell me: how is that different from Todd Akin's comments about "legitimate rape"? But even more, how is it possible that a judge could be so blind about the law? The age of consent in Montana is 16. This girl was under it by two years.

Even more, this teacher was nearly 50 years old. He knew much better. He just did not care. Of course, people are outraged. There have been multiple protests and when the sentence was handed down, the victim's mother shouted out at the judge in anger. Who could blame her? Her child is dead and "justice" is a joke.

The way teen girls are treated in this society is often appalling. Miley Cyrus (though not a teen at 20) is attacked for dancing provocatively while the 36-year-old  man she twerked on is left alone.

Look at how 16-year-old Hannah Anderson is presumed to have had a role in her kidnapping and the murder of her mother and brother even though she is barely more than a child. 

We may say 16 or 18 is legal age of consent, but basically any girl who has gone through puberty and is not willing to play the demure "good girl" is suspect. She might be complicit in her own rape if she is "troubled" or wears the wrong outfit or leads a man 35 years her senior on to the point of no return.

This judge needs to be removed from the bench. That much is obvious. But it's not just him. There are so many men and women who feel this way about teen girls, who blame first before they look at the facts.

This girl is dead because no one protected her and then she is victimized again after her death by a judge who says it is her fault. And many of us are OK with this. It is just heartbreaking. As her mother says:

I don't believe in justice anymore. She wasn't even old enough to get a driver's license.

How can any of us say we believe in a system that would do this?

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:35 AM

The problem is with men's brains. When they see a female that they find attractive, they go into mating mode. All of their judgment is based on sight. The age and emotional or mental competence of the female is irrelevant. She could even be made of plastic or paper. A man sees her as "fertile female #10846. She rules him at that point, but it is temporary.

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM
11 moms liked this
That's the biggest load of crap. Ever. Men are more than capable of having good judgment at any time. "Mating mode". Wth.

Quoting supercarp:

The problem is with men's brains. When they see a female that they find attractive, they go into mating mode. All of their judgment is based on sight. The age and emotional or mental competence of the female is irrelevant. She could even be made of plastic or paper. A man sees her as "fertile female #10846. She rules him at that point, but it is temporary.

MorganTho
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM
4 moms liked this
Her name should be supecrap

Quoting smurfbitebug:

That's the biggest load of crap. Ever. Men are more than capable of having good judgment at any time. "Mating mode". Wth.

Quoting supercarp:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:48 AM

You must be a man, lol.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting supercarp:

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah. I don't hate men and don't think they have an IQ level of a slug once they get a little stiff, so I must be one. Haha

Quoting supercarp:

You must be a man, lol.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting supercarp:

Lydiah769
by Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:51 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree that this judge should be fired. He did not do his job. She was not at any legal age to consent. I do not care how mature some kids can be, she was still a kid period. The teacher knew better. He took total advantage of her. This kind of thing disgusts me so much. I already do not put that much trust in our supposed justice system. Then things like this happen and make me believe we will never get true justice when judges like this are allowed to be in power. Disgusting!!

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this
What's ironic is, is by saying things like that she is excusing them from questionable or wrong behavior just as much as that judge did.

"Stupid men. Can't make good decisions with a woody. Women know better."

Quoting MorganTho:

Her name should be supecrap

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting supercarp:

lga1965
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
2 moms liked this

This is so disgusting I can't even express how horrified I am.The teacher needs to spend years in jail with Bubba...inmates usually hate rapists who prey on children, pedophiles, and the Judge needs some punishment,too. I can't see why the Judge is not being prosecuted for that horrendous decision.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Or you don't know that many men. Haha

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Yeah. I don't hate men and don't think they have an IQ level of a slug once they get a little stiff, so I must be one. Haha

Quoting supercarp:

You must be a man, lol.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting supercarp:

smurfbitebug
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 10:57 AM
2 moms liked this
Foolish.

Quoting supercarp:

Or you don't know that many men. Haha

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting supercarp:

You must be a man, lol.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Quoting supercarp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)