Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another dead thug: Domino's pizza driver shoots, kills robber in West Melbourne

And before all the socially engineered outrage begins, this guy was a "Thug" with a criminal history. Another reason concealed carry and Self Defense Laws exist.

Self defense and no arrest, in Florida.

Domino's pizza driver shoots, kills robber in West Melbourne

Evidence suggests self-defense

Fredrick Kelly Jr.

Kelly

A 34-year-old man picked the wrong victim Friday night when police said he approached a pizza delivery driver with robbery in mind.

Just before midnight, Fredrick Kelly Jr., 34, of Melbourne was shot and killed after he threatened a Domino’s Pizza employee with a knife in a West Melbourne Days Inn parking lot, 4500 W. New Haven, according to the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office.

After Byron Park, 54, of Palm Bay made a delivery to the hotel and returned to his vehicle, he was confronted with a demand for money, according to a release.

Park responded by shooting Kelly once in the upper torso with a handgun. Authorities said Park had a weapons permit necessary to carry the handgun in his vehicle.

Saturday afternoon, investigators believed Park’s actions were justified to protect himself.

“Preliminary evidence at the scene points toward this being a self-defense situation,” said Maj. Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office. “He was protecting his life. The guy had a deadly weapon and was going to kill him if he didn’t give his money up.”

The case remains under investigation pending an autopsy.

“We have to make sure the information that was provided to us and what we see at the scene is consistent with the autopsy and it all adds up,” Goodyear said.

In 2001, Kelly was sentenced to 10 years in prison for three counts of armed robbery and was released in 2009, according to the Florida Department of Corrections.

Investigators believe the pizza driver was a random target of convenience after fulfilling a legitimate delivery at the hotel.

“The people who ordered the pizza had nothing to do with it,” Goodyear said. “That was just a coincidence.”

Attempts on Saturday to learn more from Domino’s officials about the company’s policy on armed drivers were unsuccessul.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Replies (11-20):
ExecutiveChick
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM
5 moms liked this

Yes, but that thug made a choice and was willing to bet his life for whatever cash the driver had on him. He lost that bet.

Not every bet is a winning one.

Quoting AlekD:

That "thug" was a human being with an immortal soul. Just a friendly reminder.

lga1965
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Where did I say anything about race? Are you serious? A 'thug' can be anyone---any race---but I hate the word. It is ugly.I mentioned SYG because it is a terrible law. And because there are some violent people using it for justification. Nothing about race. Get new glasses or have someone read my replies to you.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

WTF are you talking about.  Seriously turning this into race? I am worried about you.

Quoting lga1965:

well this is really intelligent....not.

"Thug" again? And SYG being defended again?

I thought in the 21st century that people were more civilized but I guess not. Good grief, I am disgusted.

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Here ya go:

Quote:

Fredrick Lorenza Kelly Jr., 32, approached Park with a “large knife” and threatened him through the open window of the car, according to Brevard County Sheriff’s Major Tod Goodyear. Park, who has a concealed weapons permit, stalled the man for a moment then shot him once with a semi-automatic pistol in the “upper torso.”

Local law enforcement officials confirmed Monday that Park was a former West Melbourne officer. West Melbourne City Clerk Cynthia Hanscom said a man named Bryon Park worked there from November 1988 to March 1998.

Quoting SuzCahn:

The robber didn't have a gun? I need more details before I pick a side.

codfish
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:53 PM
5 moms liked this
Yes he was, and would most likely have taken another's life for a few bucks. Of course the sweet, innocent child probably had a horrible childhood that turned him into a criminal. I mean he can't help himself right?

Quoting AlekD:

LuvmyAiden
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:54 PM
8 moms liked this

I'm a firearms instructor. I specialize in women's self defense but I also do co-ed classes and kids safety classes. And I teach my students that you do only what you have to get out. You don't shoot maliciously and you don't shoot if you don't have to. When a man with a knife is between you and your mode of escape(car) you don't have much other choice. Seeing good innocent people defend their lives and come out unscathed instead of being another statistic of good people killed by the lowlives of the world is a good thing. I get that you are antigun but if this man had been stabbed to death for the money in his pocket would that have been better? Would that have been ok?

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

I have read probably five stories like this just this week. Reminds of why I do what I do. Love to see people refusing to be victims.

Oh yeah? What DO you do?

Shoot people 'cause you can use the SYG alibi? Hmmm?

Grrrrreat.

Tell us, what DO you do?

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Yes he was a human being.   He turned himself into a thug with the choices he made.

Quoting AlekD:

ExecutiveChick
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
7 moms liked this

Nope, apparently not and I am disgusted as well. Disgusted that these uncivilized thugs continue to bet their life on some pocket change and are willing to victimize hard working citizens. The real victims.

:)

Quoting lga1965:

well this is really intelligent....not.

"Thug" again? And SYG being defended again?

I thought in the 21st century that people were more civilized but I guess not. Good grief, I am disgusted.

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you. I'm still on the fence for some reason, on this. I'll mull and read more.

Quoting candlegal:

Here ya go:

Quote:

Fredrick Lorenza Kelly Jr., 32, approached Park with a “large knife” and threatened him through the open window of the car, according to Brevard County Sheriff’s Major Tod Goodyear. Park, who has a concealed weapons permit, stalled the man for a moment then shot him once with a semi-automatic pistol in the “upper torso.”

Local law enforcement officials confirmed Monday that Park was a former West Melbourne officer. West Melbourne City Clerk Cynthia Hanscom said a man named Bryon Park worked there from November 1988 to March 1998.

Quoting SuzCahn:

The robber didn't have a gun? I need more details before I pick a side.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM
2 moms liked this
The point is that he was a person, with a family who loved him and knew him better than you, a total stranger, who has literally no right or ability to accurately judge his character.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Yes, but that thug made a choice and was willing to bet his life for whatever cash the driver had on him. He lost that bet.

Quoting AlekD:

.OceanBlue.
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

His police record speaks for his character; I don't have to.  You'd think he'd have learned after 10 years in prison for robbery, but nope, he just goes right back to it.  Thug. 

Quoting AlekD:

The point is that he was a person, with a family who loved him and knew him better than you, a total stranger, who has literally no right or ability to accurately judge his character.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Quoting AlekD:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)