Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another dead thug: Domino's pizza driver shoots, kills robber in West Melbourne

And before all the socially engineered outrage begins, this guy was a "Thug" with a criminal history. Another reason concealed carry and Self Defense Laws exist.

Self defense and no arrest, in Florida.

Domino's pizza driver shoots, kills robber in West Melbourne

Evidence suggests self-defense

Fredrick Kelly Jr.

Kelly

A 34-year-old man picked the wrong victim Friday night when police said he approached a pizza delivery driver with robbery in mind.

Just before midnight, Fredrick Kelly Jr., 34, of Melbourne was shot and killed after he threatened a Domino’s Pizza employee with a knife in a West Melbourne Days Inn parking lot, 4500 W. New Haven, according to the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office.

After Byron Park, 54, of Palm Bay made a delivery to the hotel and returned to his vehicle, he was confronted with a demand for money, according to a release.

Park responded by shooting Kelly once in the upper torso with a handgun. Authorities said Park had a weapons permit necessary to carry the handgun in his vehicle.

Saturday afternoon, investigators believed Park’s actions were justified to protect himself.

“Preliminary evidence at the scene points toward this being a self-defense situation,” said Maj. Tod Goodyear of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office. “He was protecting his life. The guy had a deadly weapon and was going to kill him if he didn’t give his money up.”

The case remains under investigation pending an autopsy.

“We have to make sure the information that was provided to us and what we see at the scene is consistent with the autopsy and it all adds up,” Goodyear said.

In 2001, Kelly was sentenced to 10 years in prison for three counts of armed robbery and was released in 2009, according to the Florida Department of Corrections.

Investigators believe the pizza driver was a random target of convenience after fulfilling a legitimate delivery at the hotel.

“The people who ordered the pizza had nothing to do with it,” Goodyear said. “That was just a coincidence.”

Attempts on Saturday to learn more from Domino’s officials about the company’s policy on armed drivers were unsuccessul.

by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Replies (21-30):
codfish
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM
I manage a pizza place (very large known co), and I can almost guarantee the driver is jobless today. Sadly just like bank tellers companies tell the drivers to just hand over the money and be passive. I will be damnes of I will wait around to be killed during a robbery!

Oh, and yes, the driver would be expected to pay the money back in some stores.
.OceanBlue.
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate a lot of words people say, but I respect their right to say them. 

Quoting lga1965:

Where did I say anything about race? Are you serious? A 'thug' can be anyone---any race---but I hate the word. It is ugly.I mentioned SYG because it is a terrible law. And because there are some violent people using it for justification. Nothing about race. Get new glasses or have someone read my replies to you.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

WTF are you talking about.  Seriously turning this into race? I am worried about you.

Quoting lga1965:

well this is really intelligent....not.

"Thug" again? And SYG being defended again?

I thought in the 21st century that people were more civilized but I guess not. Good grief, I am disgusted.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 2:59 PM
3 moms liked this

Criminals need to take notice, people are not going to stand there and be a victim

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM
3 moms liked this

But we can judge his choices on this night. If this information is accurate. Our character is made up of the choices we make, the actions we take, not our good intentions and happy thoughts. Isn't it ? 

Quoting AlekD:

The point is that he was a person, with a family who loved him and knew him better than you, a total stranger, who has literally no right or ability to accurately judge his character.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Yes, but that thug made a choice and was willing to bet his life for whatever cash the driver had on him. He lost that bet.

Not every bet is a winning one.

Quoting AlekD:

That "thug" was a human being with an immortal soul. Just a friendly reminder.

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would be willing to bet he wasn't thinking of his family when he made the choice to rob this guy.

Quoting KreatingMe:

But we can judge his choices on this night. If this information is accurate. Our character is made up of the choices we make, the actions we take, not our good intentions and happy thoughts. Isn't it ? 

Quoting AlekD:

The point is that he was a person, with a family who loved him and knew him better than you, a total stranger, who has literally no right or ability to accurately judge his character.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Yes, but that thug made a choice and was willing to bet his life for whatever cash the driver had on him. He lost that bet.

Not every bet is a winning one.

Quoting AlekD:

That "thug" was a human being with an immortal soul. Just a friendly reminder.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I am not defending his actions,theft is a sin. I am defending him as a beloved child of God, just like everyone else. Calling him "thug" diminishes the dignity due to him as a person.

Quoting .OceanBlue.:His police record speaks for his character; I don't have to.  You'd think he'd have learned after 10 years in prison for robbery, but nope, he just goes right back to it.  Thug. Quoting AlekD:The point is that he was a person, with a family who loved him and knew him better than you, a total stranger, who has literally no right or ability to accurately judge his character.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:Yes, but that thug made a choice and was willing to bet his life for whatever cash the driver had on him. He lost that bet.Not every bet is a winning one.
Quoting AlekD:That "thug" was a human being with an immortal soul. Just a friendly reminder.
.OceanBlue.
by on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Calling him a thug is simply a reflection on his own actions.  

Quoting AlekD:

I am not defending his actions,theft is a sin. I am defending him as a beloved child of God, just like everyone else. Calling him "thug" diminishes the dignity due to him as a person.

Quoting .OceanBlue.:His police record speaks for his character; I don't have to.  You'd think he'd have learned after 10 years in prison for robbery, but nope, he just goes right back to it.  Thug. Quoting AlekD:The point is that he was a person, with a family who loved him and knew him better than you, a total stranger, who has literally no right or ability to accurately judge his character.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:Yes, but that thug made a choice and was willing to bet his life for whatever cash the driver had on him. He lost that bet.Not every bet is a winning one.
Quoting AlekD:That "thug" was a human being with an immortal soul. Just a friendly reminder.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Really? Some stores would have made him pay it back after being robbed? That is crazy

Quoting codfish:

I manage a pizza place (very large known co), and I can almost guarantee the driver is jobless today. Sadly just like bank tellers companies tell the drivers to just hand over the money and be passive. I will be damnes of I will wait around to be killed during a robbery!

Oh, and yes, the driver would be expected to pay the money back in some stores.

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Bringing a gun to a knife fight?  Couldn't he have defended himself without killing the guy?

Meh, I find it sickening and totally hypocritical when people who claim to be religious and know what god wants rejoice or show happiness about the death of someone else.

KreatingMe
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Quoting lga1965:

well this is really intelligent....not.

"Thug" again? And SYG being defended again?

I thought in the 21st century that people were more civilized but I guess not. Good grief, I am disgusted.

I agree with you! Well, I don't find the events that upsetting, if they really happened the way they are told in this article, but I find this title and post disgusting! Insinuating that Trayvon Martin was a thug and good riddance another one dead. I'm glad the delivery driver wasn't hurt but we don't need to celebrate the attackers death. I wish we were more civilized than that, I don't have any hope that we are but I wish it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)