Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is with the lack of appropriate attire for evening ware lately in certain sizes? I understand they are trying to cater to club kids but once you get past say a size 11 in adult they seem to get shorter and tighter or go the opposite direction and look like a short mumu with no form. For a country that is said to have such a high obesity problem, it would seem that there would be more availability in the big and tall range rather than trying to make a dress that is the size of a shirt. It is one thing if you wanted to dress that way but one should not be forced to do so from lack of anything appropriate. Also. given that for quite a few lines a size 12 is 2x it would seem that they would prefer larger women to be naked.

Do you think designers are out of touch with the general public?

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:58 AM

I live in jeans and t-shirts.. Just my Size jeans work best for me and i have no problems wearing men's shirts if  I can't find anything in my size..

lga1965
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I guess you need to shop at JC Penney or Macy's,for two examples.

You won't find what you need at "Forever 21". LOL.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

It definitely depends on the stores....When I hosted someone from Spain she was short and heavier and she loved Dress Barn! She bought so much stuff in there and was quite the happy camper! LOL

teri4lance
by Silver Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Sometimes i can score at ross. I got a beautiful ralph lauren dress knee length for $40. Fitted at the waist and very flattering.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Neither of those stores had anything either for evening wear for homecoming. We were shopping for my daughter who is 6'.

Quoting lga1965:

I guess you need to shop at JC Penney or Macy's,for two examples.

You won't find what you need at "Forever 21". LOL.

GLWerth
by Gina on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

We all want to wear huge flowers...oh, wait we don't!

Also, many manufacturers seem to think that because your size is larger, you obviously have a giant neck. Neck holes don't change much from size to size, I am forever pulling my shirts back to center.

Also, not all large women want to have an 'empire waist' in a dress. I have big boobs and the supposed waistline hits right in the center of my boob. Why can't they make some things with a natural waist line.

I'm really at the point of designing and making my own clothing. I know how to draft a pattern and I know how to drape, I need to find the time and just do that.

Oh, and why are there sequins and sparkly things all over larger clothing?  

Quoting glitterteaz:

dont forget loud prints on all plus sized attire like us fat girls wanna wear a test pattern

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Don't MOCK the Hawaiian Print Mu mu! Tutu's all over the world will get pissy and stop baking lol

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM

LOL

Quoting SilverSterling:

Don't MOCK the Hawaiian Print Mu mu! Tutu's all over the world will get pissy and stop baking lol

GloryDaze
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I have found the opposite problem when my daughters and I have been out shopping for clothes.  I am often frustrated in department stores because I'll spot a cute top,slacks, or sundress and when I get closer to the rack and flip through the hangers I notice it doesn't come in a size smaller than 12 (I'm a size 6). 

It was extrememly frustrating to even hunt around several high end bridal/prom boutiques a few years ago when my daughters were preparing for their proms.  They are a size 2 and yet the stores carried no prom dresses smaller than a size 6 and even those racks were sparse, but the stores had tons of racks filled with dresses in sizes 10 through 22X.  We had to pick a style and pay extra to have it special made in a much smaller cut. 

I thought that was so odd because all of my overweight friends complain that they have to get their things in a special cut or that they can't find anything good because they basically experience what you have, but I have to say that in my personal experience I feel the clothing stores are starting to cater more toward the obese.  We even noticed in the mall that the store manikins are plus sized and while I agree that there should be plus sized manikins I'm also thinking 'hey, keep the smaller shaped manikins too because there are still a few of us petite women out there.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Try shopping what they call "Afrocentric" stores and catalogs.  For example:

http://www.ashro.com/Clothing/Dresses/index.cat

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)