Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is with the lack of appropriate attire for evening ware lately in certain sizes? I understand they are trying to cater to club kids but once you get past say a size 11 in adult they seem to get shorter and tighter or go the opposite direction and look like a short mumu with no form. For a country that is said to have such a high obesity problem, it would seem that there would be more availability in the big and tall range rather than trying to make a dress that is the size of a shirt. It is one thing if you wanted to dress that way but one should not be forced to do so from lack of anything appropriate. Also. given that for quite a few lines a size 12 is 2x it would seem that they would prefer larger women to be naked.

Do you think designers are out of touch with the general public?

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Replies (31-40):
muslimah
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Just glad i don't have that problem/

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I would rather have sparkles that those god awful patterns!!! lol and the neck thing is so right. I swear my bra strap has more exposure than my necklace

Quoting GLWerth:

We all want to wear huge flowers...oh, wait we don't!

Also, many manufacturers seem to think that because your size is larger, you obviously have a giant neck. Neck holes don't change much from size to size, I am forever pulling my shirts back to center.

Also, not all large women want to have an 'empire waist' in a dress. I have big boobs and the supposed waistline hits right in the center of my boob. Why can't they make some things with a natural waist line.

I'm really at the point of designing and making my own clothing. I know how to draft a pattern and I know how to drape, I need to find the time and just do that.

Oh, and why are there sequins and sparkly things all over larger clothing?  

Quoting glitterteaz:

dont forget loud prints on all plus sized attire like us fat girls wanna wear a test pattern

Goth_mom13
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

i hate it,i miss being small(i say small but even at my smallest i was a size 10).......i used to be able to find clothes that covered me properly and didnt make me look matronly or like a box.....now as a size 18 im either supposed to hide behind boxy clothes,look like im from the jersy shore with the ugly prints all over them,or like im a hooker on the corner -.-

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, designers are out of touch wth teh public!  I recently saw an article from Tim Gunn, from Project Runway, that the new runway darling is a MAN!   This guy looks like a girl and is very slender with no curves and this is the exact reason the designers love him because he is basically a stick figure.   Tim Gunn was and is outraged that designers do not create clothes for normal women wearing an 8-14 size.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Yes, and they do nothing to make someone feel better about their image.

Quoting Goth_mom13:

i hate it,i miss being small(i say small but even at my smallest i was a size 10).......i used to be able to find clothes that covered me properly and didnt make me look matronly or like a box.....now as a size 18 im either supposed to hide behind boxy clothes,look like im from the jersy shore with the ugly prints all over them,or like im a hooker on the corner -.-

FireCoyote
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Posts like this REALLY make me wish I could be a clothing designer. The lack of choices for us "fatties" is atrocious!

.OceanBlue.
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Petite clothing is no better! My butt & thighs are just *this much* too big for junior clothing, but petite clothing just looks boxy and shapeless.   

Kriskash25
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this

For sure, I have a big boobs and very long torso and struggle to find shirts that aren't belly shirts lol! I have to by 1X to make sure they are long enough. The selection is a joke no 2 jokes!

Kriskash25
by Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh! Also what is with the maternity looking shirts, yeah I want to look like I'm pregnant!

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 30, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I see so many that look like scrubs(nurse uniform type) also. 

Quoting Kriskash25:

Oh! Also what is with the maternity looking shirts, yeah I want to look like I'm pregnant!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN