Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What is with the lack of appropriate attire for evening ware lately in certain sizes? I understand they are trying to cater to club kids but once you get past say a size 11 in adult they seem to get shorter and tighter or go the opposite direction and look like a short mumu with no form. For a country that is said to have such a high obesity problem, it would seem that there would be more availability in the big and tall range rather than trying to make a dress that is the size of a shirt. It is one thing if you wanted to dress that way but one should not be forced to do so from lack of anything appropriate. Also. given that for quite a few lines a size 12 is 2x it would seem that they would prefer larger women to be naked.

Do you think designers are out of touch with the general public?

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 2:35 AM
Replies (41-50):
firefay
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

rolling on floor Thanks for the visual. I agree that it sucks, and I'm not even a big woman!

lga1965
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my, I bet it will be difficult if she is 6 feet. But I have seen some really pretty dressy dresses at our Mall at both JC Penney and Macy's. Maybe it depends on what they stock at the stores in different areas of the country.

Quoting stormcris:

Neither of those stores had anything either for evening wear for homecoming. We were shopping for my daughter who is 6'.

Quoting lga1965:

I guess you need to shop at JC Penney or Macy's,for two examples.

You won't find what you need at "Forever 21". LOL.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM

Size 11 is junior.

Look in Misses, 6,8, 10, 12, 14 etc.  Different cut and usually longer.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Oh I hate that. My natural style is understated and drapey. I hate hate hate fucking sequins and beads and all that shit all over my clothes. I like solid colors and quality materials . Not polyester animal print with sequins. Wtf. Even the nicer shops do it in the larger sizes.

Quoting GLWerth:

We all want to wear huge flowers...oh, wait we don't!

Also, many manufacturers seem to think that because your size is larger, you obviously have a giant neck. Neck holes don't change much from size to size, I am forever pulling my shirts back to center.

Also, not all large women want to have an 'empire waist' in a dress. I have big boobs and the supposed waistline hits right in the center of my boob. Why can't they make some things with a natural waist line.

I'm really at the point of designing and making my own clothing. I know how to draft a pattern and I know how to drape, I need to find the time and just do that.

Oh, and why are there sequins and sparkly things all over larger clothing?  

Quoting glitterteaz:

dont forget loud prints on all plus sized attire like us fat girls wanna wear a test pattern

KHardik
by New Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

They're definitely out of touch with everyone I've ever talked to. I have such a hard time finding a nice pair of jeans lately. I can never find jeans with no holes and every time I sit down half my butt is just out in the open. I've tried many different stores and even going up an extra size or two but nothing helps. Not even the curvy fit pants. I don't think anyone knows how to design clothes for the average person anymore.

survivorinohio
by René on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a 14 or so and I had a terrible time finding a dress to wear :(  I do not wish to show ever curve but a little cleavage would be fine.  Some shape lol.  I finally found a shirt dress that is A line and works with my figure.  It was second hand and 2 bucks lol :)  Horrible week opf looking though.  I dont want "matronly" or Club :(

LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM
2 moms liked this
I have the same problem in my size! I'm a 4 or 6, and everything is either super tight, or super short...I haven't found a decent pair of shorts in years...it's either capris, or butt hanging out...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fushithedruid
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:00 AM
1 mom liked this

try kohls.com, found some actually decent dresses that run as small as you need. i feel your pain, in HS i was tiny (less than 100lbs) and short. finding dresses, pants, skirts that fit was a pain in the rear. GL momma

try Etsy, under prom dresses. :)

mikesmom65270
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Also horizontal stripes

Quoting glitterteaz:

dont forget loud prints on all plus sized attire like us fat girls wanna wear a test pattern

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I have the opposite issue. For once I would love to find a shirt or a sweater that was flattering. It seems that if you are above a size 12, the only tops that are availalbe in most stores are boxy, and have no shape to them. I also hate that the only colors I can seem to find are black, navy, and ugly green tops. What, a plus sized girl can't wear red, or coral?  At least make clothing in other colors so we don't look like we are depressed all the time. I have a few black tops, but I don't want to have just black and dark colored clothing in my closet.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)