Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Americans Believe Rights Include Jobs, Education, Internet Access

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 10 Replies

Americans Believe Rights Include Jobs, Education, Internet Access 

article image

Several college-aged (and older) Americans believe that their rights incude a job, education and access to the Internet.

Katherine Timpf, of the conservative website Campus Reform, interviewed these folks at the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington this week.

Many of the people that Timpf interviewed believed that Americans had a right to jobs.

“It’s not a privilege, Not a privilege. It is a right. It’s not a driver’s license. It is a right,” said one woman.

Another woman added: "The things we go through in college, we deserve it."

"I believe it's a Constitutional right, not just a privilege," said an African-American male.

All of the people who were asked if they had a right to access the Internet believed they did. 

On this question, they have a pretty good argument. The Internet was actually created by U.S. tax dollars in the 1960s via the Pentagon. As noted by Slate.com:

Everyone in the tech world knows that the Internet got its start in the 1960s, when a team of computing pioneers at the Pentagon’s Advanced Research Projects Agency designed and deployed ARPANET, the first computer network that used “packet switching—a communications system that splits up data and sends it across multiple paths toward its destination, which is the basic design of today’s Internet.

According to most accounts, researchers working on ARPANET created many of the Internet’s defining features, including TCP/IP, the protocol on which today’s network operates. In the 1980s, they strung together various government and university networks together using TCP/IP—thus creating a single worldwide network, the Internet.

In fact, commercial use of the web and charging people access did not happen until 1995, but many conservatives are under the false mpression that it was purely a for-profit venture.

Sources: Slate.comWikipedia.orgCampus Reform

by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Me, me, me>>>wrong, wrong, wrong

AlekD
by Gold Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I agree with them.

furbabymum
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Not surprising.

tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Maybe they should learn about the Constitution and stuff.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Decent education, yes.

Jobs, yes.

If jobs and education are privledges only available to a few or a select group, how is everyone suppose to be personally responsible and self sufficient? This is why I am turned off by the GOP's message. They do not want to pay to lay the  basic foundation, but expect everyone to rise to the top- NOT possible, folks.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I agree. You cannot get through college without the internet. In the past, yes. Now? No way.  Just in the nursing program alone we have apps the students have to buy.  The amount of research, etc. requires the internet. At least they have the college libraries but being able to do it at home is better.

Jobs and education should be a right.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I am a nurse and we have many career mandates that require an at home computer- Our manager even stated about 5 years, "if you do not have access to a computer and the Internet outside of work, you can work in this facility."

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I agree. You cannot get through college without the internet. In the past, yes. Now? No way.  Just in the nursing program alone we have apps the students have to buy.  The amount of research, etc. requires the internet. At least they have the college libraries but being able to do it at home is better.

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I know.  There is no way in nursing you can get by without a computer.

Quoting Sisteract:

I am a nurse and we have many career mandates that require an at home computer- Our manager even stated about 5 years, "if you do not have access to a computer and the Internet outside of work, you can work in this facility."

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

“No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgments are wrong. Only racists make them” 
― Elie Wiesel

.OceanBlue.
by on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I believe our rights include life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  Pursuit being the operative word.  You want jobs, education, and internet access?  Work for it.  Earn it. 

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 30, 2013 at 12:56 PM

I agree with education as a right.  Education gives you the tools necessary to succeed in life.  As long as those tools are taken advantage of, that person has an opportunity to gain gainful employment.

To me, a right is like a guarantee.  I don't think having a job should be a guarantee no matter what.  Someone with a job needs to be held up to certain standards.  If they slack off or are just plain lazy, there shouldn't be a guarantee that they can keep the job.

As for the internet, I will lean towards a right simply because so much is now solely on the internet.  Many companies require applicants to go through their websites to apply for jobs and so forth.  Do I think it's a right that every home should have the internet?  No.  But I do not see a problem with the government providing locations where people can access the internet at no charge.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN