Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Reinstating the draft

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 47 Replies

With the possibility of war with Syria do you think with the military being so stretched thin. do you think they    would reinstate the draft. If the draft was reinstated  would you be okay with your son going if you have one or daughter?  Would you go if the draft was reinstated and or would you try to defer it?Also how would you feel about your dh/so being drafted.

ETA

For those that have small children the vietnam war was sixteen years long so there is a possibility of a war being many years long and the possibility that your child growing up to be old enough to be drafted. what are your answers to the question. Other then a brush off response

by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
terpmama
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM

My sons are 2 and 4 so they're good and hubby will be 35 soon so.

newmom121812
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM
My son is 8 months so not worried
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peaceful.chaos
by Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:17 PM
My son's 8 and I'm retired Air Force so I could be called back. I received a letter verifying my contact info recently and letting me know I could be recalled if necessary. I did 21 years and I've only been out a year so it really wouldn't be a huge deal for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I would be shocked if it ever happened. Lots of people were throwing this idea around back when Bush was president. It never happened. I am not particularly worried at all. I have no sons and my husband is physically disabled. My brother in law is already in the marines so he may have to go do his thing...which never includes hand to hand combat. He only had one Iraqi tour and he said that the scariest thing he saw was two Marines having a fistfight over laundry.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
I hope it never happens. I would not be ok with a draft or my children being called to fight.
billsfan1104
by Jules on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:43 PM
My sister because she did something with chemical stuff in the army, might be called back.
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
I'd hate to see a draft. Illegal dw & i are too old & unhealthy. DD is too young now, but some of the best Friends are Jews. Seriously, my daughter is very peace oriented & won't even look at a weapon on tv. She enjoys meat but asked tonight about becoming vegetarian because she doesn't want to kill animals. If we have to join the Society of Friends for her to be a conscientious objector, we will do it.
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Dh is 45. I am 42. So no for us. DS is 3 so I suppose it could be a possibility if a war dragged on for more than 15 years but since my hope that is that he CHOOSES to go to the Naval Academy, no, I have no problem with the possibility of him being drafted if America needs him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:49 PM

I'd tell my son to get his ass to college.  Worked for Bill Clinton.

BabyRuca
by on Aug. 31, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Considering that the U.S. military recruiters have reached their yearly quotas before May of each year for the last 3 years, reinstating the draft wouldn't be the first thing to do.

Also, bc of the increased requirements set in place over the last few years to weed out the majority of enlisters the first step would be to decrease the requirements to make it more feasible to join.

It is currently very hard to join the service BC of these developments. Most of those that pass the requirements are waiting in the DEP for up to 12 months just for an opening in the field they're trying to get into.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN