Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The lie that conservatives tell- MLK was a republican....not so much

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 266 Replies
3 moms liked this

“Most people don’t talk about the fact that Martin Luther King was a Republican.”

That’s a quote from Ada Fisher, a Republican National Committeewoman from North Carolina, that was published without qualification or correction this week by ABC News.

Fisher is wrong on two fronts. First, many people talk about the “fact” that King was a Republican. It is asserted incessantly by conservatives on Twitter and elsewhere on the internet, especially in the lead up to today’s 50th anniversary of the March on Washington. The claim is most prominently advanced by King’s niece, Republican activist Alveda King. Over the years, conservative groups have purchased billboards making the claim.

Second, Martin Luther King Jr. was not a Republican. Or a Democrat.
King was not a partisan and never endorsed any political candidate. In a 1958 interview, King said “I don’t think the Republican party is a party full of the almighty God nor is the Democratic party. They both have weaknesses … And I’m not inextricably bound to either party.”

King did, however, weigh in on the Republican party during his lifetime. In Chapter 23 of his autobiography, King writes this about the 1964 Republican

National Convention:

The Republican Party geared its appeal and program to racism, reaction, and extremism. All people of goodwill viewed with alarm and concern the frenzied wedding at the Cow Palace of the KKK with the radical right. The “best man” at this ceremony was a senator whose voting record, philosophy, and program were anathema to all the hard-won achievements of the past decade.

Senator Goldwater had neither the concern nor the comprehension necessary to grapple with this problem of poverty in the fashion that the historical moment dictated. On the urgent issue of civil rights, Senator Goldwater represented a philosophy that was morally indefensible and socially suicidal. While not himself a racist, Mr. Goldwater articulated a philosophy which gave aid and comfort to the racist. His candidacy and philosophy would serve as an umbrella under which extremists of all stripes would stand. In the light of these facts and because of my love for America, I had no alternative but to urge every Negro and white person of goodwill to vote against Mr. Goldwater and to withdraw support from any Republican candidate that did not publicly disassociate himself from Senator Goldwater and his philosophy.

King barnstormed the country on behalf on Johnson in 1964, “maintaining only a thin veneer of nonpartisanship,” according to biographer Nick Kotz. King called Johnson’s win a “great victory for the forces of progress and a defeat for the forces of retrogress.”

Here is what King had to say about Ronald Reagan, the hero of modern Republicans:
When a Hollywood performer, lacking distinction even as an actor can become a leading war hawk candidate for the Presidency, only the irrationalities induced by a war psychosis can explain such a melancholy turn of events.
David Garrow, who wrote a Pulitzer Prize winning biography of King, stated “It’s simply incorrect to call Dr. King a Republican.”

King, according to Garrow, did hold some Republicans — including Richard Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller — in high regard. He also was harshly critical of Lyndon Johnson’s escalation of the Vietnam War.

In 2008, King’s son Martin Luther King III said “It is disingenuous to imply that my father was a Republican. He never endorsed any presidential candidate, and there is certainly no evidence that he ever even voted for a Republican.” Garrow claimed there is little doubt King voted for Kennedy in 1960 and Johnson in 1964.

by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM
4 moms liked this
Just because he disliked certain candidates does not mean he wasn't Republican. I REALLY didn't like McCain, but I'm still Republican.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Republicans have stated for a "fact" that he was

Please provide evidence of this

Oh wait, there is none

Quoting kailu1835:

Just because he disliked certain candidates does not mean he wasn't Republican. I REALLY didn't like McCain, but I'm still Republican.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Meh, personally, being a Rep or a Dem doesn't really matter to me where he was/is concerned.

Dwelling on this takes away from other aspects of this man's life, mission, words and such.

Some could call me a Rep and others could call me a Dem.  

I've voted on both sides of the fence.  Plants me right in the middle.  I don't label myself either.

skylight555
by Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM
7 moms liked this

Who cares whether he was a Republican or Democrat? His dream was ruined by his own people.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting skylight555:

Who cares whether he was a Republican or Democrat? His dream was ruined by his own people.

Please expound on this opinion.......

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait, a reply was there and now it is gone........

tanyainmizzou
by on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Yep.  I decided not to engage in it.

Some people just aren't worth the trouble even if I rashly posted at first.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Yep.  I decided not to engage in it.

Some people just aren't worth the trouble even if I rashly posted at first.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Ah, okay.  At least I know I am not losing my mind. lol

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:31 PM
4 moms liked this
And this article states as "fact" that he wasn't. Please provide evidence that he wasn't. Oh, wait, there is none.

One thing we know for a fact is that the civil rights movement was organized by Republicans. Most civil rights acts were passed by Republicans. I for one have never heard it stated that mlk was definitely Republican. I have heard it stated that he was likely Republican, considering the people he surrounded himself with.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Republicans have stated for a "fact" that he was

Please provide evidence of this

Oh wait, there is none

Quoting kailu1835:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Sep. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM
2 moms liked this

Some one answer this question for me.......

Why does it matter so much?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN