Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much can you afford to pay for healthcare ins?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
  • 54 Replies
If you don't make less than 15, 000 a year and your employer doesnt offer insurance, you will be paying for your healthcare insurance come January. Beginning Oct you supposedly will be able to go in and choose a plan. Of course as Nancy said you have to pass it in order to see whats in it so no one really knows what you will have to pick from, how much it will cost or how much help from the taxpayers you might get. How much can you afford
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
5 moms liked this

From what I understand, if you make under $15,000 per year you will qualify for Medicaid.  If the expanded Medicaid program is not offered in your state, then you live in one of the states who's governing body opted out for one reason or another.  You would need to take that up with your elected officials, because this was supposed to be addressed and their lack of taking care of the neediest in their state is sad politics.  This system is not perfect and isn't what I would prefer, but at least it's a start towards something better.  The opposing sides lack of cooperation or initiative to put forth any feasable alternatives tells the story that they don't really care one way or another, that they only care about scoring political points with those who don't want our healthcare system to improve.  If you don't like this, come up with something better that will benefit everyone. 

D.O.E.
by on Sep. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

terrible situation you guys are in

in canada full health care coverage  is MAYBE ......$150? MAX. (thats mostly for dental and meds though)

you dont even need that though

dh has health insurance through his employer, i think it is $75/mo and a full coverage plan

Anna92464
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM

I have no idea.  We have healthcare through my husband's work, but have been informed that we should expect to pay A LOT more starting in January.   I am worried because I am a cancer patient among other things and am already always broke because I have to have an MRI for a brain tumor, a different kind of scan for thyroid cancer and although we have coverage our cut is thousands of dollars a year.  I cannot afford to go to the doctor as often as I need to because we are always paying on these bills.....So even having coverage isn't as helpful as you think in this system...

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Hubs is entirely employer paid, but he works for a non profit and they usually cover the benefits to make up for the lower wages.

The last time I had bene's through work I paid maybe $40-50 a month - for great(!) benefits. That was 9 years ago though.

Last year, maybe two years ago, my union looked at benefits for us, I think it was going to be about $150 a month (entirely employee paid) for a family plan, but they weren't great. I will say though that they did a crappy job looking, one quote from one company, small wonder it was voted down.

I honestly cannot fathom the American system, worrying about the cost every time someone needed to see a Dr, staying at a shitty job because of the health ins.

Quoting D.O.E.:

in canada full health care coverage  is MAYBE ......$150? MAX. (thats mostly for dental and meds though)

dh has health insurance through his employer, i think it is $75/mo and a full coverage plan

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aestas
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:59 AM

Wait, I'm confused. I thought you had universal health care in Canada? What benefits are people getting through employers, then? What's the difference?

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Hubs is entirely employer paid, but he works for a non profit and they usually cover the benefits to make up for the lower wages.

The last time I had bene's through work I paid maybe $40-50 a month - for great(!) benefits. That was 9 years ago though.

Last year, maybe two years ago, my union looked at benefits for us, I think it was going to be about $150 a month (entirely employee paid) for a family plan, but they weren't great. I will say though that they did a crappy job looking, one quote from one company, small wonder it was voted down.

I honestly cannot fathom the American system, worrying about the cost every time someone needed to see a Dr, staying at a shitty job because of the health ins.

Quoting D.O.E.:

jakesmom323
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 6:07 AM
With his work, we pay around 11k a year for a family of 4. Sucks and that's full coverage that has a high deductible and $500 every year before they pay the full obligation on their part.
D.O.E.
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

our universal health insurance doesnt cover things like dentist, eyeglasses, or medication unless you are on supplemental benefits (poor). those are all we really pay for here.

but lets say you got hurt at work or something and had to take a few months off, our insurance would cover that on TOP of workers comp or employment insurance. also life insurance is in there too

Quoting Aestas:

Wait, I'm confused. I thought you had universal health care in Canada? What benefits are people getting through employers, then? What's the difference?

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting D.O.E.:

canadianmom1974
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Ok, benefits usually cover prescription costs, paramedical like chiropractor, therapeutic massage, dental, some cover glasses.

There is prescription coverage under pharmacare, but it does have a deductible based on income, so the benefits help until that is met, at which point there is no cost for Rx's.

As an example, on Christmas Day, in the evening, we took our youngest to the ER thinking he might be having trouble with his appendix. He was seen by three different Drs, had an X-ray, was given meds there, as well as a weeks worth of meds for at home - it cost us nothing. We did not and will not see a bill for that.

If it hadnt been Christmas and a pharmacy was open, we'd have been given an Rx and had to pay for his at home meds, which hubs' benefits would have covered.

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting D.O.E.:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM

For our family of 4 benefits through my husband's work for medical, dental and vision insurance would cost our family $500 a month.  From what I understand, the ACA benefits offered through the insurance exchange program will cost no more than 8% of your annual income, which will be about half of what it would cost through my husband's employer.  We got the kids on CHIP, which is Texas state insurance.  I pay a $35 enrollment fee and have reasonable co-pays.  Hubby and I still don't have insurance and won't until January, when the ACA takes effect.  Needless to say, I am very excited by it. 

Realistically, in order to afford insurance AND doctor visits when necessary we can afford about $150 a month... hopefully less so we can save money for other emergencies as well.  I just had an ER trip.  Because I don't have insurance it came to just under $5000.  It is going to take me years to pay that off.  I am of the opinion that healthcare is a right, not a privilege and I don't think these exhorbitant prices are okay either.  The ER doctor charged me $1,100 for MAYBE an hour of his time, INCLUDING paperwork.  That's just not okay.

AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I want to live in Canada.  So hard.  Here in the states, though, we hear horror stories about cancer patients being made to wait months for scans or treatment, people not getting the care they need because the system is overloaded and waiting lists are crazy.  Is any of that even a little bit true?

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Ok, benefits usually cover prescription costs, paramedical like chiropractor, therapeutic massage, dental, some cover glasses.

There is prescription coverage under pharmacare, but it does have a deductible based on income, so the benefits help until that is met, at which point there is no cost for Rx's.

As an example, on Christmas Day, in the evening, we took our youngest to the ER thinking he might be having trouble with his appendix. He was seen by three different Drs, had an X-ray, was given meds there, as well as a weeks worth of meds for at home - it cost us nothing. We did not and will not see a bill for that.

If it hadnt been Christmas and a pharmacy was open, we'd have been given an Rx and had to pay for his at home meds, which hubs' benefits would have covered.

Quoting Aestas:

Quoting canadianmom1974:

Quoting D.O.E.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)