Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:33 AM
  • 30 Replies

Do you think this is a good thing or not? Do you think this would pass here in the states?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/10278702/EU-plans-to-fit-all-cars-with-speed-limiters.html

EU plans to fit all cars with speed limiters

All cars could be fitted with devices that stop them going over 70mph, under new EU road safety measures which aim to cut deaths from road accidents by a third.

Traffic on the M6
All cars could be fitted with speed limiters under new EU proposals Photo: ALAMY

Under the proposals new cars would be fitted with cameras that could read road speed limit signs and automatically apply the brakes when this is exceeded.

Patrick McLoughlin, the Transport Secretary, is said to be opposed to the plans, which could also mean existing cars are sent to garages to be fitted with the speed limiters, preventing them from going over 70mph.

The new measures have been announced by the European Commission’s Mobility and Transport Department as a measure to reduce the 30,000 people who die on the roads in Europe every year.

A Government source told the Mail on Sunday Mr McLoughlin had instructed officials to block the move because they ‘violated’ motorists’ freedom. They said: “This has Big Brother written all over it and is exactly the sort of thing that gets people's backs up about Brussels.

“The Commission wanted his views ahead of plans to publish the proposals this autumn. He made it very clear what those views were.”

The scheme would work either using satellites, which would communicate limits to cars automatically, or using cameras to read road signs. Drivers can be given a warning of the speed limit, or their speed could be controlled automatically under the new measures.

A spokesman for the European Commission said: “There is a currently consultation focusing on speed-limiting technology already fitted to HGVs and buses.

“Taking account of the results, the Commission will publish in the autumn a document by its technical experts which will no doubt refer to ISA among many other things.”

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:38 AM
Not a bad idea! I drive like a granny with my babies in the car but needed that when I was younger
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:39 AM
1 mom liked this
:/ that's an awful idea! Just seems way to controlling!
Bellarose0212
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:45 AM

I've always wondered why we have cars equipped to go so fast when we have speed limits much lower. I've never seen a limit over 75 but cars can go like 120.

A few things- what about the Autobahn?

Two- safety. Might there ever be a reason to need to go faster, like if another car was going to hit you and you had to gun it to get out of the way?

I'm not at all certain if that's a valid concern.  Overall, I think I'm for it. Car accident deaths are so prevalent.

smalltownmom03
by Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 5:49 AM
1 mom liked this
IDK. What if there is an emergency and you need to go faster? Like when you need to get someone to the hospital and dont have 30 or 45 minutes to wait on an ambulance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this
But should you drive 90 mph and put yourself and the person in greater danger?

I think it's a good idea. There is no need to go over a certain speed.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

IDK. What if there is an emergency and you need to go faster? Like when you need to get someone to the hospital and dont have 30 or 45 minutes to wait on an ambulance.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this

Why don't they just make everyone use a horse and wagon?

I think it is a riduculous idea.  There are times when you need to go faster...not all speed limits are fast.

Just recently my husband had to take me to the ER because of an allergy, we live about 20 minutes outside of town.  An ambulance would have taken at least 30 considering where it comes from.  That was too long.  Some of the speed limits we encountered were 35 and 45 mph in areas where speeding was absolutely safe.

Beyond this...I have enough government control in my life already, so no thanks.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Sep. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting smalltownmom03:

I was thinking the same thing. 

I don't really think this would fly here in the states. 

lga1965
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I would have loved that when we were in Germany (USAF) I had to drive to Frankfort to pick up relatives from the Airport there and driving on the Autobahns was really scary. People drove 85-90 mph and they are very aggressive. I was a physical and emotional wreck after the drive from our base, about an hour away. And I had to do this twice in three years which was too much for me.( With three kids in the car, eyes wide , age 9, 11 and 13.)

I wonder if they will be able to accomplish this. People in most European countries are wild drivers and seem to reject rules.Italy was the worst ( I wasn't driving then,LOL. DH drove and cursed a lot)  70 mph is all I will try.....

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

If you ever want to have self induced heart failure, go drive in Europe when you're used to driving in the states. My father, who was a calm driver in the states, transformed into a driving deranged lunatic in Europe! Most of their "highways" are survival of the fittest, it's terrifying and I learned how to drive in Miami ffs lol.

lga1965
by on Sep. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Exactly !

Quoting lizzielouaf:

If you ever want to have self induced heart failure, go drive in Europe when you're used to driving in the states. My father, who was a calm driver in the states, transformed into a driving deranged lunatic in Europe! Most of their "highways" are survival of the fittest, it's terrifying and I learned how to drive in Miami ffs lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)